Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
School issues/sickness UPDATE Post 11

I told my husband today, I think God is punishing us for not homeschooling I had planned on it, but my MIL is a teacher and she is convinced that my kids are going to turn out socially stupid. Which is insane considering we don't keep them in a box and they do sports and all sorts of activities. I had done pretty well fending her off until this summer my father basically told me there was no way I'd have time to do it with the other kids and I'd be hurting my kids in the long run.

So I caved and sold off everything I had to buy new summer clothes because it was 110 on the first day of school here in Vegas but you can't wear tanks, or certains kinds of shorts and dresses have to be so long etc.

Anyway--my oldest daughter has already missed 5 days of school. She has missed less than that in K and 1st grade combined. Well the school just called--she has a misquito bite under one arm it is very obviously a HUGE welt but since they had a Scabies outbreak the second week of school they have to take precautions and we have to come pick her up! Then we have to take her to the doctor. Odds of them being able to be seen today--slim to none. So she will go in tomorrow. Here is where it becomes an even bigger pain. She can't go back to school until she has a doctors note saying it isn't it or has been treated for 24 hours.

They are going to treat her for it I am sure "just to be safe" which means a round of cream for the WHOLE family. But she will have to miss school tomorrow and half a day Thursday. Which means she will have missed an entire week of school in less than a month!

Advertisement

Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!

Last edited by thekuligs; 09-28-2012 at 08:06 AM.
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: School issues/sickness

Since my dd started kindergarten she hasn't missed one day of school but I have been almost consistently sick. I counted the illnesses I have had since she started. I have been sick 6 distinct times in less than 2 months.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

The oldest has come home from school twice already with a fever. She had a stomach bug and 2 seperate cold viruses.
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
812ajack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuligs View Post
I told my husband today, I think God is punishing us for not homeschooling I had planned on it, but my MIL is a teacher and she is convinced that my kids are going to turn out socially stupid. Which is insane considering we don't keep them in a box and they do sports and all sorts of activities. I had done pretty well fending her off until this summer my father basically told me there was no way I'd have time to do it with the other kids and I'd be hurting my kids in the long run.

So I caved and sold off everything I had to buy new summer clothes because it was 110 on the first day of school here in Vegas but you can't wear tanks, or certains kinds of shorts and dresses have to be so long etc.

Anyway--my oldest daughter has already missed 5 days of school. She has missed less than that in K and 1st grade combined. Well the school just called--she has a misquito bite under one arm it is very obviously a HUGE welt but since they had a Scabies outbreak the second week of school they have to take precautions and we have to come pick her up! Then we have to take her to the doctor. Odds of them being able to be seen today--slim to none. So she will go in tomorrow. Here is where it becomes an even bigger pain. She can't go back to school until she has a doctors note saying it isn't it or has been treated for 24 hours.

They are going to treat her for it I am sure "just to be safe" which means a round of cream for the WHOLE family. But she will have to miss school tomorrow and half a day Thursday. Which means she will have missed an entire week of school in less than a month!
My 3 oldest missed a ton of school last year due to sickness (we had a stomack flu that would not leave- ot was a nightmare!) but they actually didn't get it most of the time from school it was actually from church a few times and going to family members the other times. So it happens no matter home schooling or not. Don't beat yourself up for it and hang in there!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DS has missed a day of school since starting his 4 days a week on Sept 4th.Weve battled a cold, a virus, ear infections and random fevers since then.This is the first time hes really been exposed to a lot of children this often.Stinks.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Ah yes. Lovely CCSD rules and regs.

I cannot stand Vegas schools. They make the most ridiculous rules.

My kids were in Vegas schools from k-5 and one that did part of K. They were constantly sick, the schools had constant outbreaks of lice etc. we homeschool now. There are some awesome homeschool groups and centers/coops if you change your mind.

Anyways. I hope you get it all worked out.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Ah yes. Lovely CCSD rules and regs.

I cannot stand Vegas schools. They make the most ridiculous rules.

My kids were in Vegas schools from k-5 and one that did part of K. They were constantly sick, the schools had constant outbreaks of lice etc. we homeschool now. There are some awesome homeschool groups and centers/coops if you change your mind.

Anyways. I hope you get it all worked out.
REALLY??? Where can I find information?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuligs

REALLY??? Where can I find information?
A great resource is he northwest las vegas homeschool group on yahoo. There is a center called RISE and they do classes and fun stuff all week. Also, all the libraries have weekly story times and fun stuff to do with the kids.

Here is a list of groups (some christian, others secular)

http://nevadahomeschoolnetwork.com/s.../clark-groups/

Here is the link to the rise website:

http://riseresourcecenter.org/

And the NW las vegas yahoo group (you dont need to be in the NW, but they have so many resources and send out emails for gymcats, park days, etc.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nwlvhsers/

Hope that helps some, if you change your mind. . Feel free to PM me with any questions. We have been homeschooling for over 4 years now in las vegas and love it.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

UGH!!! Sounds so frustrating.

Have you tried elderberry. It will help them not get sick or not get as sick. We are only in pre-k and I forgot to give elderberry and I have one home sick today and one home running around bc I am not waking up my sickie to get everyone in the car to drive my non-sick child to pre-k!!!!
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
taylor's mom
Registered Users

i'm not looking forward to wintertime! last year was dd's first year of school and our first year of constant illness. we were literally at the dr's every single week for a couple months . between the 3 kids (was still pg with littlest dd) they had 8 rounds of strep throat, with checks in between at one point to be sure they were getting rid of it instead of it just not going away. plus dd had a late night ear infection that ended up being an er visit and ds1 had a double ear infection so bad that his eardrum burst (though he showed no signs of pain or having an ear infection till a couple hours before it burst).