Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
flufflovinmama
Registered Users

Has anyone suffered with pubic symphysis pain?

I'm 14 weeks pregnant with my third baby. I suffered from this pain during my second pregnancy, but it did not start nearly as early. I mostly suffered through it since it wasn't very bad, and I only had a one year old to take care of at the time. My son ended up weighing 9lbs when he was born, so I knew that had a lot to do with it. Fast forward to now, and the pain has started back. My sons are 3 and nearly 5, and we are very busy. I'm noticing most of the actions I do aggravate this pain. It's not intolerable right now, but I would like to keep it from getting way as long as I can.

Sorry this is kind of long, and thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

flufflovinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone suffered with pubic symphysis pain?

Find a good chiro who does the webster technique. I was in almost crippling pain by the 15th week of pregnancy (started earlier with each baby) and started to see a chiro every couple of weeks and was almost pain free for the rest of my pregnancy.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had horrid pain through my first and second pregnancies, then saw a chiro through my 3rd - totally pain-free! I still had the discomfort of loosening joints/widening hips in the last few weeks, but it was nothing like the previous pregnancies.
I did have the pain again through my 4th and 5th pregnancies, not seeing our chiro. He moved to the city and we've not been able to find a new one.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
shannychi
Registered Users
seller

Ugh. I had it horrible with a few of my pregnancies. If you can't see a chiro, what about a firm pillow in between your knees at night? That help me a little. I never rolled over without my knees together or it made the pain intolerable. I know it sounds crazy, but an ice pack?
shannychi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
flufflovinmama
Registered Users

Thanks everyone, I will definitely look into finding a good chiropractor.

Are there other things you notice that can help in between visits? I have been sleeping with a pillow between my legs, and being very careful about rolling over. I definitely remember that was the worst pain ever! It hasn't progressed that far yet, but I know it's getting there.

So far I notice that I don't need to squat to help the boys get dressed, and I need to sit down to put my pants on. I'm kind of stubborn, but I need to make myself do these things even if they slow me down. I can't imagine how rough this pain will get if I don't do something to at least slow it down. On the other hand. I want to stay active as much as I can so I can stay healthy throughout the pregnancy.

I really appreciate everyone's help!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
diaperangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

argh - yes, I do! I'm not sure why, but it actually got slightly better towards the end...It was at it's worst around 6/7 months. Chiro for sure, and being really gentle with your movements, don't aggravate it. Not sure what else to say except that it stinks, but it goes away :-)
SAHM to my two little "angels" Klara and Xavier Preggos with #3 Catholic, sport-loving, CD'ing, Health nut
diaperangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

YES!! I am also 14 weeks pregnant, but haven't had that start yet. Sciatic-YES, but not the PD. Mine usually doesn't really start until after 20 weeks. I am seeing a chiropractor this pregnancy, so maybe he will help, but it is associated with the loosening of the joints and the pelvic bone separating, so I don't know how much it will help. I usually end up sleeping in the recliner because that is the only place that I can get *comfortable*. Or I sleep in a semi upright position with pillows tucked under the knees. It just hurts too much to sleep on my side, even with a pillow between the knees. I hope you find some relief!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
brookglen
Registered Users

Mine just started acting up and I'm 20 weeks. It's not so bad right now, but I don't know what I'll do when is baby actually starts putting on weight. I'm not comfortable with a chiro. The thought of someone pushing around the bones I have in my body freaks me out.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
flufflovinmama
Registered Users

I watched my movements a little more yesterday, and I'm feeling better today. Still, I don't have much hope for when the baby starts getting bigger. I definitely have to make sure to sit down when I put pants and shoes on. I don't know why that is so hard for me. Haha
Old 09-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

oh g-d yes. With preg 1 it was near the end but by about 20 weeks with the second I could barely walk and near the end of the pregnancy I couldn't roll over in bed. I had to sit up first to change sides.

Find a chiropractor. It didn't fix it but it made me able to walk. I was there weekly I think.
I had a book called 'relieving pelvic pain in pregnancy' that actually helped a fair bit despite the fact it said pretty much the opposite of everything else I read but my thought at the time was there was no way to make it worse! It had me doing all kinds of stretching. and it was helpful.

Good luck. It's awful without a doubt!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote