Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Talk to me about traveling (big trip) with a baby under 3 months of age

I am pretty sure this cycle is a bust for me so I will be cycling again for the LAST time (no more embryos). Should this be my miracle cycle I will be traveling across country (NYC to Portland Oregon, then on to Kona Hawaii) in October and November next year (be gone for about a month). The baby would be as much as 2 months old. I will be flying for all trips and staying with family in Portland (actually across the river in Washington). My son is turning 4 next week so he would be 5, but DH can't come with me for as long as I need for this trip. He will join us in Hawaii flying straight there and back (we will stop in Portland on the way back as well). Provided I don't have twins then I will have a seat for the baby (twins and I may lap child one of them). I can have help flying if I fly out of Seattle to Kona, but no one can help me get out to the west coast. My in-laws who are paying for the trip to Hawaii bit, live outside Seattle and will be going with us. However I would rather fly in and out of Portland as it is easier on my family (some members live up by Seattle but not many and none that are direct relatives, i.e. my grandmother and father live closer to Portland).

Is it easier or harder then traveling with an older baby? I know this seems like an odd question but I like to be prepared. Oh and we are a fully vaxing family so the baby will be as immune as possible and I normally push for the Hep B to be given as soon as possible as my (now) 9 year old sister is Hep B positive from birth (she was adopted and lives out there). I also breastfeed and expect no problems with that as I even breastfed (a few times) my former 24 weeker (not DS). My son will have a carseat vest for out there and the baby will have their seat (again provided I don't have twins but even then I may just check or Cosco seat for one of them).

Thank you for your help!

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Traveling with younger babies is always easier, they pretty much just nurse and sleep. *If* you do have twins then I think that is a good idea to get a seat for one and lap the other then you can switch them around as needed.

Sending positive cycle
Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about traveling (big trip) with a baby under 3 months of age

for a good cycle!

That aside, travelling with a baby is SO super easy... compared to travelling with a toddler or preschooler, I mean!
Especially if you're breastfeeding, easy peasy.
If you had a seat for the baby, you would have a car seat, yes? I would make sure to gate check a stroller (travel system type deal - I'm not always "for" them, but they're useful at times!) so any stop-overs you would not have to carry the seat. But I would also plan to wear Baby when stopped, and use the car seat (in the stroller) to carry our carry-on bags.
Personally, I likely wouldn't worry about cloth diapers for travelling... though being away that long, I may pack them in our luggage... but I would want all the extra space possible in our carry-on stuff.

I would definitely pack (in the carry-ons) extra outfits for baby, and extra shirts for myself! Hopefully you wouldn't need them... but better safe than sorry!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Ryder
Registered Users
seller
seller

I travelled with my 2 month old, not as far but from Boston to Florida, and it wasn't bad at all. He slept or nursed the whole trip and was a dream, especially compared to the few times I travelled with him between that and age 15months, hte last time we flew. I was alone and managed fine, security was a pain, with folding up the bucket, carrying him and putting my carryons through, but everyone was super nice and patient with me. Didn't have the older one, but hopefully at 4 he would be more on the helpful, then needing to chase him through the airport side of htings
Good luck, and hope you get your miracle baby (followed your threads way back when
Happily married to "M" and loving life with my toddler "B" 8.17.10. Waiting for #2, my christmas baby!!
Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I have a Graco Coach rider that I got off of Freecycle last month (thought I was going to NYC for the day and needed something for DS but cycled instead). So I thought because that was free, I would take that with us. That way I am not out much for the stroller if they destroy it.

The baby would have a carseat for the plane and beyond, DS is too big for the CARES system so he would just be in a normal seat, hence me getting the carseat vest for him for those times when we would be in a car.

Diapers I haven't even thought really about. I think at most I would bring prefolds so they are easier to strip when we get home if need be. We will have laundry everywhere so that is good. The hardest part I see is that we will have to ship out our summer clothes to Portland and then switch them out when we get there. NJ and Portland will have the same climate, but Hawaii will be a bunch warmer so this seems like it would be for the best. You can ship things UPS fairly cheap if you have the time to have it go ground. That I have plenty of!

As far as carry ons I was going to use a rolling bag for DS to pull, then have a small duffle for me and the baby (maybe also a diaper bag). That should be enough room for everything and I have a beco butterfly 2 for carrying around the little one. I am a bit worried about snacks and eating but I am hoping with so long before we go, that some of the craziness is gone by then. I know I am wishful thinking but you know what I mean. Testing water bottles after you purchase them past the checkpoint?? I can pack water bottles in our checked luggage right? As long as they are empty?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Ryder
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can bring a small water bottle through security as a baby item .. I brought formula in case I wouldn't be comfortable BFing and the security person told me the baby was allowed water to mix formula.
Happily married to "M" and loving life with my toddler "B" 8.17.10. Waiting for #2, my christmas baby!!
Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
Testing water bottles after you purchase them past the checkpoint?? I can pack water bottles in our checked luggage right? As long as they are empty?
You can pack FULL water bottles in your checked luggage. There is no limit.

Since you will have an infant(s), you can also pack full water bottles, juice, and breast milk in your carry on bags. You can bring pre-packaged snacks as well as whole food snacks (fruits, veggies, etc.). They will wave a little test strip over the water/breast milk/juice bottle to make sure it's not a dangerous substance and send you on your way. Although the TSA says you are allowed to carry "reasonable" amounts of liquid, "reasonable" is entirely up to the individual airport/security personnel.

We went through security in Norfolk, VA and San Antonio, TX with several full water bottles, at least a dozen of the "toddler size" Gerber juice bottles, and a sippy cup of breast milk and apparently that was within reasonable limits. I don't think you'd have anything to worry about with beverages.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote