Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Just Ducky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddler Wearing: Manduca or Boba 3G? Or Patapum?

I'm looking at the Manduca and the Boba 3G right now. (And as of a few minutes ago, I am also looking at the Patapum.) Has anyone tried either of them?

My son is two and tall and when he was around seven months old he started wanting to face forward and arching his back if he was facing in so I had to retire my Ergo. I switched to a Beco Gemini and that was great for a few months but as he got heavier it started to put too much of a strain on my shoulders.

I'm about 5'3" and petite and I have a bit of back trouble thanks to being t-boned in a car wreck a few years back. I currently use a Deuter Kid Comfort II for trips to the zoo or the mall or to go backpacking but as much as I love it, it's not terribly well suited for going to the grocery store.

On a tangential note: I'd like to sell my Ergo and my Beco but I don't know where I should do that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by Just Ducky; 09-17-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Just Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler Wearing: Manduca or Boba 3G?

Mama, if you have back trouble, you need a STROLLER! There's no point in wearing a toddler if it's hurting you.

You can sell your carriers here as long as they are authentic.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Many people with back problems wear comfortably. Wearing has many benefits, and while strollers can be great options as well and have their place, if wearing is something you'd like to do then you can do it safely and comfortably.

Having said that, depending on where you live Manduca can be hard to find. Manduca's are great carriers, but unlikely will find a new one in the USA because they cannot be sold here by a retailer unless they are used and on the swaps. There is nothing wrong with them it was just drama between them and another SSC carrier. Boba 3gs are also great carriers. I use one with my 5 and 2 year old and am currently pregnant and use it while wearing. I have helped many women with back problems adjust the Boba correctly to wear comfortably. If you have a babywearing group near by that would be a great resource to get some help to adjust the carrier to fit your needs. Another option that you may want to consider is a woven wrap. They are really great for infants up to childhood, I wear my 5 and 2 year old in a woven often as well. They are also really great for bad backs because you can do so many different carries with them.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Just Ducky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hpfgirl - Yep, they are. I actually might sell my Deuter, too, since Osprey came out with a frame pack in April. I just ordered one and I'm going to see if I like it better. Osprey makes awesome gear so I am super excited! So... Where here? Which forum should my carriers go in?

JennTheMomma - Is there any reason I couldn't order a Manduca from Europe? That's what I had been planning to do, since (like you said) I haven't had luck finding one in the States. Have you tried a Manduca? And if so, which do you prefer? If not, thanks so much for the great info on the Boba! It might be easier (and it would certainly be cheaper) to just grab one off of Amazon.

Last edited by Just Ducky; 09-17-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
There is a baby carrier section in FSOT.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Manduca! I LOVE mine. I still occasionally wear my 43lbs six year old in it comfortably. (I'm 5'4 and 100lbs, this carrier is awesome!)
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ducky View Post
hpfgirl - Yep, they are. I actually might sell my Deuter, too, since Osprey came out with a frame pack in April. I just ordered one and I'm going to see if I like it better. Osprey makes awesome gear so I am super excited! So... Where here? Which forum should my carriers go in?

JennTheMomma - Is there any reason I couldn't order a Manduca from Europe? That's what I had been planning to do, since (like you said) I haven't had luck finding one in the States. Have you tried a Manduca? And if so, which do you prefer? If not, thanks so much for the great info on the Boba! It might be easier (and it would certainly be cheaper) to just grab one off of Amazon.
I'm not sure if you can order a Manduca from a retailer in Europe, they may not send to the US. I remember reading something about it and the problems they had being able to send to the states, but it's worth a shot.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Just Ducky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler Wearing: Manduca or Boba 3G? Or Patapum?

hpfgirl - lol Okay, I'm blind. I don't know how I missed it. Thanks! =)

Kätzchen - Wow! That's pretty impressive. I think that might be what I go with, then, unless the frame pack I just ordered surprises me and can do double duty. Is there anything you don't like about it?

JennTheMomma - I dug up a place that ships to the US earlier this evening. They also carry something called a Storchenwiege Carrier. Has anyone heard anything about it?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Storchenwiege is a woven wrap, it's awesome, IMO. That was my first woven wrap and I still use it. Storch is one of the oldest woven wrap companies. Storch and Didymos is why some people refer to woven wraps as "GWW" or "German Woven Wraps".
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Just Ducky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jenn- You're gonna get me into trouble here, lol. I might have to just pick up a Storchenwiege and a Manduca and try them both. I mean hey, I'll already be paying for the shipping, right? I'm still really tempted by the Boba, though. Primarily because of the cute kangaroo print on one of their styles.