Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice needed - My son is a bully...

Advertisement

earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice needed - My son is a bully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
I saw this idea on pinterest or fb cant remember so I cant take credit but plan on doing it with my girls. Dd1 is bossy and rude to dd2 and dd2-my loving laid back child- is starting to get an attitude b/c of it *sigh*

Condensed version-
Have them take a piece of paper, draw a happy face on it. Have them say mean, hurtful things while crumbling it up. Once its in a ball have them apologize and say nice things while smoothing it back out. Once the paper is open have them look at it and notice whats wrong with the paper(all the crinkles). Talk about how when youre nasty to someone, even if you apologize and try to make up for it, damage is left behind-you can never fully make up for/take back for what youve done.
I did this today with my 10 year old after reading this thread. He is constantly snarky to ds2 and says he is just "kidding". We have been struggling getting him to understand that his "kidding" is hurting ds2. When he opened the paper back up he said the face was still the same. I told him about the wrinkles and how it was still damaged. He said "oh wow". He is a very sensitive child and I know for the most part he wouldn't hurt his brother purposely but I think his age and how a lot of things come naturally for him and his little brother has to work at stuff gives him some feeling of entitlement to pick at him. I really hope this helps it stick with him and OP if you try it let us know his reaction! I hope it works for you and I am interested to see if it does stick with my ds.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
ellen97
Registered Users
seller

I work in a school as well, and we rolled out Character First this year. We focus on character traits that are incompatible with bullying - like mindfulness. I like that we aren't saying Don't Be A Bully, we are teaching them to be good people who care about treating others well.

Love Scentsy? https://ellendavila.scentsy.us/Home
ellen97 is offline   Reply With Quote