Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Tammygirl24
Registered Users

Trying to get baby to take bottle

Hi everyone!
I'm new here. I have an almost 4mo dd who I've ebf since birth. Now that she is a bit older, I would like to pump some and let her take a bottle for when I'm at MOPs or even for a date night with dh. The problem is I cannot get her to take a bottle for anything. No paci either. We've tried dad or nursery workers doing it and she just cries. Any tips?
Thanks!

Advertisement

Tammygirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trying to get baby to take bottle

I completely understand your frustration, but I have no valuable advice. MY DD wouldn't take a bottle either. She completely refused them from 2 months and on. We tried everything: Dad, caregiver, Aunt, and grandma. I tried warm milk, cold milk, and room temp milk. I spent a small fortune on different nipples and bottles. I had the best luck with Platex drop-in nursers, but she still didn't like them. I seriously thought I had a lipase issue. Taste your stored breastmilk to see if it's soapy tasting.

When I went back to work at 5 months, I thought she'd starve. In the end, what kinda worked was a soft spout sippy cup. She'd only take just an ounce or two to stave off dehydration. I ended up having to nurse her on my lunch break.

Best of luck!

If none of the bottles work for you, try a soft spout sippy cup or plastic shot glass, like the little plastic cups that come with cough syrup.

Last edited by Shimpie; 10-10-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Tammygirl24
Registered Users

Oh wow!! That is a lot of attempts. Okay I will try the soft sippy cup. Thank you!!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have you tried different bottles mama? DD would NOT take the lovely, expensive Avent bottles that we had prepped before her birth... Wouldnt take Dr browns, tommee tippee, dropins, sassy mams, or any other... I was going back to work and getting frantic! Turns out she really liked the $1.50 Gerber bottles that are probably the same as they were in 1954
Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Tammygirl24
Registered Users

Ha! Of course. That's like when they prefer playing with the mixing bowls vs their toys. I have tried the Life Factory bottles and Tommee Tippee. But for $1.50 they are worth trying! Thanks!