Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Registered Users
Woven wrap?

I am still learning about baby wearing I did the moby wrap with my little one the first few months but haven't since then. I have a ergo on the way but I have been researching more and found out the you can make your own woven wrap by buying material from a fabric store. What kind of fabric would I need to look for? I have a 13 month old that is about 23 pounds. Also how much fabric would I need? And lastly wear can I find how to wrap? Hope someone can help me my little one is getting in 2 molars and I think it would help.

Hannah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Woven wrap?

The most reliable fabrics are osnaburg (a type of muslin), 100% linen, and jacquard tablecloth fabric. The amount you need depends on the size of wrap you want, which depends on which carries you want to do. If you want to do carries similar to what you did with the Moby wrap, you'll probably want about 5-6 yards of fabric.
This site gives a good overview:
If you want to learn other carries, there are tons of videos on Youtube, or you can investigate whether there is a babywearing group in your local area.
Good luck, and I hope the baby feels better soon!
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Registered Users

you're probably better off just buying an actual woven wrap. The amount of fabric that you need is quite a bit and that is one of the reasons woven wraps are expensive. But they also weaved in a way that if the material gets a hole, it won't tear through the whole thing, which many fabrics will do. Also, woven wraps are dyed with dyes that are safe for baby to suck on. A fabric that you buy at the store doesn't necessarily use baby safe dyes… That being said, many people make "tablecloth" shorties. A shortie is a short woven wrap (like a size 2) that can be used for quick rucks or hip carries. There are many inexpensive brands of woven wraps that you can buy for under $100 used. You may want to look into those
Alutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Registered Users

I agree with everyone else. Lots of affordable wraps out there on Ebay that will probably cost you less than a trip to the fabric store. Wraps are just sooooooo much fabric!

Now for slings on the other hand, I make all of mine with fabric store fabric (Kona Cotton and various Linen and Linen blends), and I've been using them safely for years with little sign of wear. But you'd want an experienced seamstress to make those so you know the seams are strong.
Evilyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Registered Users

Are you on Facebook? There is a DIY babywearing group. Here is a link -

Lots of good ideas and help from very experienced ladies.
Melissa - Homeschooling mom to DD(10/99), DD(12/01), DS(8/04), DS(1/07), DD(9/13), looking forward to meeting two boys in heaven (5/11) & (12/11).
sdsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

you can get natural 100% linen at JoAnn for $8/ yd if you watch for coupons. you can get a linen/ cotton blend for about $5/ yd with a coupon. you would need to trim and hem the width. i use JoAnn linen for ring slings and i love it. i just completed 3 this week for 3 friends. they buy the materials and i sew the slings as a 'ministry' of sorts. homeschooling mamas need a good baby carrier!!!
Mo, wife to Ed, SAHM to Isaiah 3-04,Rosemary 1-07, John Paul 9-09, Ivy Ana 8-12, Azalea9-15
I teach Natural Family Planning! PM me for more info.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote