Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
"EBF" controversy..so sad!

First, I have major supply issues. So I'm proud of the fact that I *thought* my almost 8 month old is EBF..

Recently I had a conversation and was told that my babe is in fact NOT actually EBF since I pump for his bottles while I'm at work. I always believed EBF just meant breastmilk in general, not NO bottles whatsoever. We still EBF on nights and weekends, he just takes a couple bottles while I'm at work. ):

So...help me quell my fears (or smash them??): Is my baby EBF even though he takes bottles of breastmilk while I'm away..??

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.

Advertisement

WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: "EBF" controversy..so sad!

Well, EBF stands for exclusively breast fed. I think it's ultimately a matter of opinion as to whether or not "exclusively breast fed" means fed only from the breast or if it means fed only breast milk. IMO, only breast milk certainly qualifies as EBF

My question to you is, why does it matter?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

I agree with Kim on the why does it matter? IDK really and it has never came up. The only kid I have had that was EBF for the first year is my youngest and she never had a cup or bottle the first year and still rarely takes a cup at 14 months. DS was *almost* EBF for the first year (he had a bottle of formula in the hospital when my nipples were bleeding terribly) if you count bottle of breastmilk.

I think if you get supper technical EBF would mean exclusively fed from the breast and well that milk in the bottle came from your breast so it should fit

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post
First, I have major supply issues. So I'm proud of the fact that I *thought* my almost 8 month old is EBF..

Recently I had a conversation and was told that my babe is in fact NOT actually EBF since I pump for his bottles while I'm at work. I always believed EBF just meant breastmilk in general, not NO bottles whatsoever. We still EBF on nights and weekends, he just takes a couple bottles while I'm at work. ):

So...help me quell my fears (or smash them??): Is my baby EBF even though he takes bottles of breastmilk while I'm away..??

Okay so now if we have to work which means we have to pump we call ourselves EBMF? Okay....

You are doing great! Don't worry about it!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I think someone is splitting hairs. I consider DD2 EBF and she's had bottles. not many, but she has. Heck, she's even had a few bottles of formula.

I think if the standard for EBF is no bottles ever very few babies would be considered EBF.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Mrs.stephens2010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post

I think so and that's what I'll be telling myself when I have to go back to work and LO gets bottles of breastmilk.

PS. Love your iPhone signature line!
Mrs.stephens2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies! I feel better.

I don't suppose it really matters, I just feel pride that I've been able to feed my son with nothing but my own milk for so long, despite supply issues. I fight tooth and nail for every half ounce of milk I produce, so I guess it was just a pride thing.

I once left a 5-ounce bag of milk in the diaper bag and didn't find it until it was completely thawed and ruined. I cried for at least 2 hours over that wasted milk. It usually takes me an entire week of pumping (5 days, 3 or 4 sessions per day) to pump one day of bottles for my son. Yes, that's 10-15 sessions of pumping to feed him for one day. So I was so crushed when I lost that milk..

I guess that's why I wanted to know. Not that he isn't worth every second I spend pumping, but I didn't want to have a goal of something that wasn't possible. My goal is at least 1 year of EBF, then continuing as long as he wants. So if EBF wasn't possible, I wanted to change my goal. But in my eyes he's still EBF so I'm right on track to reaching my goal!

WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm a hard core "breast" feeder myself and have never given BM bottles(sahm) BUT it never occurred to me that bottles of BM would change the EBF title. I figured it meant no formula. I give you huge respect for doing all you do to provide BM for your LO. If anything, I think you have earned the title more than me.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think that is silly! IMHO breast milk is breast milk regardless of being straight from the breast or served in a bottle, so I would absolutely still consider your LO EBF. It didn't come out of your toes! what a nitpicky person that must be to pee in your Cheerios like that boo on them! You are a champ for working so hard to fill those bottles with your milk, you should be applauded!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done at 3 View Post
I think that is silly! IMHO breast milk is breast milk regardless of being straight from the breast or served in a bottle, so I would absolutely still consider your LO EBF. It didn't come out of your toes! what a nitpicky person that must be to pee in your Cheerios like that boo on them! You are a champ for working so hard to fill those bottles with your milk, you should be applauded!
Completely agree!!! It's breastmilk... it came out of your breast. And however it got INTO your baby doesn't matter IMO.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote