Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
I would have told the boy to cut it out and stop hitting my child. I would not have stood there and let it repeatedly happen
This. After the mother acknowledged but did nothing, I would have. I would have sternly demanded he stop. If he didn't I would have walked him back to his mother and ask that she keep him away from my son.

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
I would tell the kid, if you can't treat my kids nicely, we won't be playing with you. Ignoring violent behavior towards your kids is not ok. I'd much rather deal with an offended mom than have my kids be hit or punched.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: How would you have reacted?

I would've told the kid to stop hitting my boy. If he didn't I would've told his mom to make him stop hitting my kid.

Sorry that happened to your little guy.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

That's always a hard call to make on-the-spot because we are sort of trained to be polite, you know? You didn't do anything to let your lo down, though, mama. He is obviously over it and forgot about it. Kids are resilient.

I think if it were me and I had the time to think of a response I would say something like "Excuse me, my son was playing with that toy. When he is finished you may have a turn if you ask nicely". If he hit my DS, I would say "No. We do not hit. That is not acceptable". If it happened again I would ask the mother to take the child somewhere else. Neither you NOR your child have to put up with that sort of thing in a public place.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

One or two incidents I can understand, but by 4 there needs to be more consequences, the other mom needed to step up and remove her child if she couldn't behave. While you shouldn't have to leave, sometimes it's the best way to deal with it. If this kid won't stop hitting your son, then the best way to protect your child is to leave the situation. I may have said something to the kid like "Hitting hurts. Where's your mommy?". Sometimes that's all that is needed to cue the other mommy in to step up.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
I would have told the boy to cut it out and stop hitting my child. I would not have stood there and let it repeatedly happen
My thoughts.. I'm really confused. You let it happen OP.. Why?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
You are SO much better than me. The first time I would have let the mother handle it, maybe even the second time without speaking up. But I don't care after that point. It someone else's child lays hands on my kid and the parent doesn't immediately remove their child I will ALWAYS speak up. I won't discipline the other child by saying things like, "it's not nice to do that or please share". I would simple say, DON'T touch my son in a very firm voice. I don't even care, flame me all you want I would never stand for that! Ever!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricDysphoria View Post
I would simple say, DON'T touch my son in a very firm voice. I don't even care, flame me all you want I would never stand for that! Ever!
I've been reading this thread trying to think of times this has happened with our kids - thankfully it hasn't been too often. But when I read this I was like "Yes!". I can't remember exact details, but I do remember being somewhere with a little girl acting similar to this, her parents did nothing to stop her at all... so I asked her once, nicely, to stop touching my child. It happened again and I said much more firmly "do NOT touch him again."
I do think she went to her parent after that, I know she left my kids alone anyways, but even if she did go to her parent and was upset I just don't care. Picking on other kids is not acceptable, and I'll stand up for my kids if they can't.

FTR, this would have been Levi being touched/pushed. The older kids would all have been able to handle themselves, though likely by yelling at her to stop touching them (fine, too, IMO!), but Levi was too little to be able to speak for himself.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When ds was 2 we went to a bday party at Chuckie Cheese, my first time w/ a kid there anyway a older girl shoved ds off a car while it was moving and got on to finish riding it, her dad was standing right there and did/said nothing, after picking up my sobbing toddler off the floor I scooped the girl off the ride and set her on the ground. The dad was so pissed off and we quickly left the toddler area, I ended up crying because everyone said I was in the wrong even though the girl was too old to even be on the toddler rides( she looked around 6-7yo) So yeah idk I guess I shouldn't have touched the kid.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry you had to deal with that.
I'm so protective with my kids, that when another parent doesn't follow threw with stuff, I start throwing low blows at the other parent.
I would have also told a manager. You have the right to be SAFE when shopping, so does your kid.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote