Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nut free snacks

My daughter goes to preschool and one of the children in her class has a severe nut allergy. I was told that peanut is the main one that causes symptoms but that the child shouldn't have any nuts just in case. So I was wondering if you all knew any snacks ( salty or sweet) that do not contain any nuts and that weren't made on the same equipment that processes any types of nuts. Home made snacks are not allowed at the preschool unless it's your child's birthday so it has to come prepackaged from the store.

Right now all I can come up with are fresh fruits, yogurt, and cheese sticks. Does anyone else have any idea on what my daughter can bring for her classmates when it's her snack day?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nut free snacks

Mom of a severely food-allergic kid here! The info you're getting from the school is a little wonky. Peanuts and tree nuts are NOT related (peanuts are legumes; tree nuts are nuts).

In any case, there are tons of snacks that are nut free. The following are safe for my dd, although we also need to avoid a ton of other stuff (wheat, eggs, sesame, etc.). The list of things you can get will be much, much longer.

-everything by Robert's Gourmet (Pirate's Booty, Veggie Booty, Tings, etc.)
-raisins
-PopCorners chips
-Pop Chips
-Kix cereal
-tortilla chips: Tostitos or Green Mountain Gringo, along with guacamole or salsa
-Fritos corn chips
-rice crackers
-rice cakes (check brands; some have nut contamination; we use Lundberg)
-SmartFood popcorn
-Annie's Organic Fruit Bunnies
-baby carrots (if sesame is not an issue, bring some hummus, too)
-applesauce cups
-Lay's potato chips (not super healthy, but safe!)

There are also lots of blogs/school websites/resources for parents with food-allergic kids. A quick Internet search got me these:
http://elknurse.ccstweb.org/nutfreesnacklist.pdf
http://www.crgov.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=115
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...211;-nut-free/
I only clicked the first few links. Google "nut-free snacks" and you should get a million hits.

Last edited by NYCVeg; 09-19-2012 at 11:27 AM.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm looking at the note that was sent home and it says," Nuts- specifically peanuts". So I was just assuming that the child is allergic to all nuts but maybe peanuts has a more severe reaction than others? I have no idea except I know I do NOT want to cause the child to have any type of reaction at all and so I want to make doubly sure what I am sending to school is okay. I would feel horrible if something I sent caused a little one to be hurt.

Thank you so much for your snack ideas! We have to bring a drink as well as a salty snack and a sweet snack and from your list I think we can find something the little ones will like! I will ask about sesame seeds before I bring humus with a veggie so thanks for the heads up on that one!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD's preschool is peanut *and* tree-nut free.

Goldfish crackers are safe. So are the penguin crackers from Aldi, if you have an Aldi near you. Aldi also has cheap fruit leather.

I found animal crackers made in a peanut- and tree nut-free facility at Dollar Tree once. (I know, weird, huh?)
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

A friends DS has severe (all) nut allergies. Stouffers (SP?) animal crackers are safe, and I think oreos, I'm pretty sure he's had them before.

Autocorrect has helped me type this.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammy View Post
I'm looking at the note that was sent home and it says," Nuts- specifically peanuts". So I was just assuming that the child is allergic to all nuts but maybe peanuts has a more severe reaction than others? I have no idea except I know I do NOT want to cause the child to have any type of reaction at all and so I want to make doubly sure what I am sending to school is okay. I would feel horrible if something I sent caused a little one to be hurt.
They could do like we do. DD is allergic to peanuts but no other nuts. We avoid all nuts because all nuts (except those in a shell and/or Blue Diamond Almonds) are processed with peanuts. So we just avoid them due to cross contamination risk. Honestly dd wouldn't be allowed to eat anything that I didn't read the label from. I don't trust anyone, anymore- not after her preschool teacher gave her chocolate pudding. She can't have dairy either. DD said the teacher read the label and said it had no peanuts. Some how she missed that PUDDING had milk in it . Yeah that was a fun night. Now unless I personally read the label or approved the brand dd does not eat it.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp

Last edited by jbug_4; 09-20-2012 at 04:46 PM.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6 View Post
A friends DS has severe (all) nut allergies. Stouffers (SP?) animal crackers are safe, and I think oreos, I'm pretty sure he's had them before.

Autocorrect has helped me type this.
Stauffers Animal crackers are processed in facility with peanuts. If op is looking for stuff processed in peanut free facility they won't work.

OP- I found this list from another school you might find helpful http://www.bayvillageschools.com/Doc.../Home/View/899 . I am not sure how accurate it is but just from my personal knowledge it looks pretty accurate.It does list popcorn- with warning- we don't allow dd to eat any micro popcorn, only plain popper pop corn with no additives. I haven't found a microwave one that is both nut and dairy free.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I think the only animal crackers we have found that work for us are the ones with frosting. There are some unlabeled ones out there but considering how I usually see peanut warnings on most, I avoid the ones like from babies R us as well. There are a lot of standard snacks that seem okay. Yours may not be exactly the same since different plants sometimes have different things they produce, but we are usually okay with graham crackers, Scooby Doo graham cracker dog bones, Annies snacks, Rold Gold Pretzels (not Snyders), Goldfish, and lots of others.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
They could do like we do. DD is allergic to peanuts but no other nuts. We avoid all nuts because all nuts (except those in a shell and/or Blue Diamond Almonds) are processed with peanuts. So we just avoid them due to cross contamination risk. Honestly dd wouldn't be allowed to eat anything that I didn't read the label from. I don't trust anyone, anymore- not after her preschool teacher gave her chocolate pudding. She can't have dairy either. DD said the teacher read the label and said it had no peanuts. Some how she missed that PUDDING had milk in it . Yeah that was a fun night. Now unless I personally read the label or approved the brand dd does not eat it.
Yup, I'm with you. Dd only eats snacks that we've approved individually or what we send from home. Her school is officially peanut/tree nut-free, but I see people with potentially dangerous snacks (granola bars processed on shared equipment, etc.) all the time. My dd has a number of non-top-8 allergies, which makes things even more complicated, because there are no labeling requirements for those. We have to call companies individually, and many of them won't or can't give out sufficient information. I think most people are well-meaning but it's difficult for them to grasp all the complications of food allergies if they're not dealing with them everyday.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote