Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
WDYT? Will I regret it? Room rearrange

Would love your opinions

Currently we have 2 of our bedrooms set up like this

myself and 12 month old in one (queensize bed) (we co-sleep) but also have a cot, changetable etc in there for daytimes.

the other room is

a queensize bed which dh co-sleeps with our 3 yr old boy (he's a bit delayed and very clingy, has never slept on his own), in this room also is dd (4) single bed and ds (almost 6 bed).

At the moment we have no avail other rooms although that will change in the next 1-2 years.

Until then I am struggling with having the queenbed and 2 singles in the one room, there is also a wardrobe and a huge entertainment unit which we use as storage for the toys etc.
I have culled the toys to a point where I really cant get rid of anymore. The room is horrible to me, it's all beds, zero floorspace and looks more like a dormitary than a bedroom.

I am thinking about getting rid of the queensize bed in my room, moving the queensize bed from the other room into mine (it's a better, newer bed). This would mean there would only be 2 single beds in the other room and one queensize in my room. It would create space in the other room BUT it would mean I have to sleep with dh again haven't slept in the same bed with him for over a year!! it's kind of nice.
He would have to co-sleep with me and ds(12 mth old) - he is a big man!
Ds (3 yr old) would have to have a toddler bed probably set up in our room and I would move the cot into the room with the 2 single beds (it's not that big).
I know that in terms of the way it looks I would be happier with this set up but I am worried that sleeping with dh and 12 month old would be a worry and that ds (3) would not settle into a toddler bed well and he'd end up in the bed with dh, myself and our 12mth old.
Help I am really trying to get the house looking as nice as possible before christmas and I know this would go a long way to helping that but is it worth disturbing the current sleep arrangements that work??

ETA - Ideally I would love to put 3yr old ds and 6 yr old ds in the other room together so I could decorate it all boyish for them and have dd in with me and dh with a girly corner but not sure how that would go with ds (3) being in another room altogether.

Thanks if you got through that!
WDYT?

Advertisement

Last edited by clothlover8; 11-19-2012 at 12:10 AM.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: WDYT? Will I regret it? Room rearrange

I think its worth a try. Do you have a place you could store the queen in or perhaps a kind family member or friend that would keep it temporarily? Say for a month, that way you won't have to buy a new one if it doesn't work out.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i don't sleep with dh either, and i just have to say that i love it. i know it sounds weird...people think there's something wrong with us sometimes, but he's BIG (6'3" and thick) and we still have plenty of "spice" in our marriage....we wouldn't have sex with ds in the same room anyway, we do that when it's NOT time to sleep. when we're actually sleeping, we sleep so much sounder apart...i cosleep with ds and dh sleeps alone.

just think you might not sleep as soundly if you try your new plan...my two cents

BUT, it's not like moving furniture is THAT big of a hassle...you can always rearrange again if it doesn't work well...so you might as well try it, right?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

as far as your 3 year old goes, i recommend getting some parenting books with different techniques to try out to teach him how to sleep in his own bed and his own room. changes like that are exhausting and take a lot of effort, but in the grand scheme, it would probably only take a week or two of stick-to-it-iveness and hard work out of your life to teach him a VERY important skill and you'd be happier too.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Could you get one of those side-car things that go right next to your bed for your 12 month old? I'm not sure how old of a child they can be used for, but if it is an option it would give you and DH some extra room.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's what I suggest. Take apart one Queen bed, put the frame in the garage or elsewhere, prop the mattress up against the wall behind an existing bed, armoire, etc temporarily in case the switch is a massive fail.

Two twin beds in one room. I assume this fits already, but you can also consider either daybed that the second mattress can slide under, a true trundle, or a bunk bed long term if you need more space. 6yo and 3yo sleep in there. DH can lie with 3yo until he falls asleep.

Nicer queen in your room for you and DH. Toddler mattress on the floor or pack and play in your room for the 12MO IF you need to co-sleep, like because of night nursing or whatever. But if you can, also consider having the 12MO sleep in the room with the boys, again in a crib/pack-n-play/toddler mattress on the floor. You can have a monitor and hear everyone. I have done both of these scenarios with my kids when they were those ages, it is possible. In our case it was much safer for the toddler to sleep on a mattress on the floor than break out of a crib/pack-n-play.

Whatever change you try, it will be a little rough the first few days if not a week or so. You have to ride it out and lose some sleep those nights, so you can assure everyone feels loved and not abandoned. :Giggle2: Reward kids for staying in the new arrangement with any success. It can be done.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

this post cracked me up a bit. i sleep with my dh but i always sleep sooooo much better when he's away. i love him, but i want my own bed.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I sleep better with DH away too . Even sometimes when he's home he likes to go to the guest room.

Have you thought about switching the rooms? You and the 1-yo cosleeping in one queen in the smaller room, and putting DH/other kids with the more beds in the master, which is usually larger? I'm assuming that you don't have this set-up already.

Can your 2 older ones sleep in one queen bed together? Then move one twin bed into your room next to the queen, so DH and 3-yo can still be next to each other. 1-yo can still sleep next to you.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!!!

LOL glad I am not the only one who likes to sleep without dh, I think people assume marriage problems but it's not, it's sleep deprivation driven hehe

Both the rooms are about the same size, there isn enough room in the one I am currently in to put a single or cot next to the queen due to the location of the doors and windows, it has an ensuite door also.

I think I am going to try it and keep the other queen incase it doesn't work out. Good advice -it will be abit rough to start but hopefully with some adjusting we can make it work, I think it will be worth it and I will feel a whole lot better about the house.

fingers crossed..
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a kind of crazy alternate suggestion for you... I read about a family that ditched conventional beds altogether and just turned a room into on giant bed... they puzzled matresses or futons (can't remember which) on the entire floor and tossed all the pillows/blankets/etc on there and everyone slept there. Kind of crazy, but pretty cool too. I could never get DH behind something like that or I would've suggested it for us. That way it frees up the other room for toys, clothes, etc.

Just a thought
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote