Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
neatostacy
Registered Users
seller

newborn can't suck and pass gas at the same time

My 6 week old is pretty gassy when he eats. It's pretty much guaranteed that every time I sit down to nurse him, he farts a lot and gets super upset. Turns red in the face, goes stiff as a board, and cannot suck. It turns our nursing sessions into battles of me trying to feed him and him trying to pass gas and eat at the same time. It is not pleasant at all. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I've tried different things with my diet, but it seems the same no matter what I eat. I think it's a reflex that makes babies get rid of what's inside (gas) to make room for the new food coming in. He just can't handle it. And I don't look forward to nursing because I know it won't be nice and pleasant, it will be very very hard.

Advertisement

neatostacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

This only happens during nursing? Do you have a forceful let down? I imagine baby is taking on a lot of air when nursing... That shouldn't happen. Are you positioning correctly and ensuring a good latch?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
neatostacy
Registered Users
seller

Re: newborn can't suck and pass gas at the same time

I'm pretty sure I'm positioning well and he latches well, too. I DO have a forceful letdown but sometimes he just waits til it slows down a little. You're right, though, when he is more voracious, he tries to suck through the forceful letdown and ends up gulping air, then ends up burping a lot. (And of course gets mad when that happens, too!) But sometimes he is eating peacefully and out of the blue pops off, starts crying, turns red, snorts, holds his breath, and passes gas. Sometimes that happens 6-7 times during a feeding. That's the most common time for him to fart! He also hasn't had any poop for about a week, but I remember that happening with my second daughter, and the doctor said that she was simply using everything I was giving her, and thus had no "waste." Could that have something to do with it, too?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My children pooped after every feeding but it is not uncommon when they don't. I think it is actualy not that unusual what you are describing. Week 4 to 12 are the hardest to feet, the stomachs are tiny and baby wants to eat and consoles himself through pain with more eating/ nursing. Most babies outgrow their problems by 12 weeks, I know it is hard, hang in there!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My boys all had a slow gut. They cried when they pooped or had gas, which they always had gas. It is common for babies under 3 months. They prescribed mirilax and it helped to stop that. That and probiotics. He could poop and pass gas with less pain and ate better. It was awful for the first 3 months, but the meds helped us so much.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
neatostacy
Registered Users
seller

I am reading the happiest baby on the block, and it pretty much says that the first three months are the hardest(with regards to eating, pooping, crying, etc), with the 6 week point being the peak! I hope he starts to figure himself out pretty soon:-)
Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure I could eat and fart at the same time either....
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Parents who EC often take the baby to the potty during nursing if they pass gas. I did during that time period. I felt like it helped them to get it out, then we just continued nursing.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
neatostacy
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I don't think I could eat and pass gas at the same time, either, but I just want him to not get so upset over it and not have it mess up his whole meal:-)
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatostacy
Yeah, I don't think I could eat and pass gas at the same time, either, but I just want him to not get so upset over it and not have it mess up his whole meal:-)
At that age, everything messes up meals! Another 6 weeks and I bet all the glitches are worked thru