Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Those who've had a third birth...

Everyone says first births take longer bc it's the first, second births are shorter bc your body already knows what it's doing, and third births are a wild card.

Curious to hear how you'd describe your births if you've had three. :-)

I've just had 2, one cs and one vbac.

My cs was after an induction where I completely dilated and then pushed for 5 hours.

My vbac was 12 hours of prelabor, then 3 hours from active labor onset to delivery. It felt really fast to me but I hear that's pretty "average."

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
MommaKatie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Those who've had a third birth...

I've had 3 children. Each was a pitocin induced vaginal delivery with an epidural. Certainly not "dream births" but it got me 3 healthy kiddos and for that I'm thankful.

DD1 I was a 14 hour labor, half of which was after the epidural and three hours of pushing. She was 8lbs 2.6 ounces and 21 inches long.

DS1 was also a 13 hour labor. With him I waited about 8 hours before the epidural and pushed for about an hour. He was 8 pounds 4.5 ounces and 21.5 inches long.

DS2 was an 8 hour labor. I was to 6 c.m. by hour 6ish and should have held out, but had an epidural at that point and DS2 was born 2 hours later. He was born on the 3rd push. He was 7 lbs 12.5 ounces and 20.5 inches long. I personally think he could have/should have "cooked" another 1-2 weeks but there were extenuating circumstances and he was born healthy and perfect.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3rd was pretty different than my first 2.

DS1 - 10 days before due date, my water broke to start labor. Contractions didn't start for hours, I think 10-12. They finally started slowly but I was given pit anyway. When I got to the hospital I wasn't dilated or effaced at all. I had Stadol and an epidural (and an episiotomy that I didn't know about until afterwards). He was born almost 24 hours from when my water broke. Less than 10 minutes of pushing. He was 8lbs 4oz (or was it 5oz?)

DS2 - Pretty much the same as DS1. 2 weeks before due date my water broke, no contractions. I was only 1-2cm dilated when I got to the hospital and not very effaced. I lied about what time my water broke so I got away with no pitocin. I still ended up with the epidural. He was born almost 24 hours after water breaking and was out about 10 minutes after getting the epidural with 1.5 pushes. No tearing/episiotomy. He was 6lbs 15oz.

DS3 - Went to my appt at 39w2d and was 4cm dilated. My MW swept my membranes, said I was 5cm. I had contractions all night that slowed the next morning as I was getting ready to go in. They picked back up again that night, I went to the hospital around 7:30 and was at 7cm. He was born 2 hours later med free. My water broke during pushing. Pushed a few times, maybe 10 minutes. I tore along my episiotomy scar from DS1. He was 8lbs 11oz.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by MunkyCrazy; 10-26-2012 at 07:52 AM.
MunkyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

First was 6 hours from first indication of labor until baby. Very intense contractions the entire 6 hours, no gradual build up. No tears, no problems. Went into labor naturally at 41w6d

Second was stillborn at 36 weeks. 3.5 hours from first indication of labor until baby. Slow and gradual buildup of labor, no tears.

Third was about 5 hours from first indication of labor until baby, but only 20 minutes of active, contracting labor. She was exactly the same birth weight as my first, born naturally at 38w1d. No tearing or other issues.

With my first and third my first indication of labor was losing my plug. My third was by far my easiest, taking only one push to come out and two intense contractions total. My water broke before active labor with my third, I had to break my own waters as my first was crowning because he kept going back in.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first was born at about 39 weeks 8 hours after my water broke, but I didn't start having intense contractions for about 2 hours after my water broke. Unmedicated, vaginal birth in a hospital. I pushed for about 30 minutes and had an unnecessary episiotomy. She was born 8lbs 15oz, 21inches. Despite there being meconium in the amniotic fluid, she was perfectly fine.

My second was born at about 38 weeks, 6 hours of labor. My midwife broke my water at about the 4 hour mark. Unmedicated vaginal birth at a free standing birth center. I pushed for about an hour (started pushing before I was complete because I felt an intense need to) tore superficially along my scar line and needed 2 stitches. He was 9lbs 12oz, 21inches.

My thrid was born at exactly 39 weeks, 3 hours from the time my water broke to delivery. I started having regular contractions about 30minutes after it broke. None of the contractions seemed as intense as things got with my first two, but I labored in water for the last hour so I'm sure that made a difference. I pushed for less than 10 minutes and had a 2nd degree tear that required a lot of stitches. I think I tore so badly because he came so fast that my body wasn't quite ready, the cord was wrapped several times around his neck and after the midwife saw that, she wanted me to get him out as fast as possible. He was perfectly fine 9lbs 8 oz 20inches.

My third was by far my easiest birth, but I recovered faster/better with my second probably due to having the least tearing/stitches of all my births.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first was induced at 39+4. It was a 6 hour labor plus 2.5 hours of pushing.
My second was induced at 39+4. It was a 19 hour start to finish labor.
Number 3 was a homebirth at 41+3. That was a 22 hour labor.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

first was 28 hours of labour, full dilation, 3 hours of pushing that ended in a c-sec.

second was just shy of 3 hours of labour, 1 hour of pushing, vbac at home.

third was 54 minutes of labour, 9 minutes of pushing, vbac at home (and my biggest baby at almost 10lb!)

fourth is imminent, and I'm dying to know if it can get much faster or more intense than #3!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

#1: 7hrs. Pushed for 20min. 7lbs 4oz ~ 39w5d
#2: 6hrs. Pushed 3 times. 6lbs 6oz ~ 36w2d
#3: 2.5hrs. Pushed ONCE. 7lbs 9oz ~ 39w even.
#4: 27min. Pushed 2x. 6lbs 10oz ~ 39w1d

My Labors just get shorter and shorter! My midwife said that when I get pregnant again, I'm not allowed to leave her side!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

First was overdue, induced, AROM, she was born 8 or so hours after labor started.

Second labor began on its own, he was a week or so before due date, AROM, he arrived five hours after labor started.

My third was four days after due date, labor started, water broke naturally, he arrived about 6 hours after labor started.

All 3 kids were only a couple pushes. My third was delivered super quick compared to the second, who was delivered faster than my first.

My 3rd experience in labor was definitely my most pleasant, and my easiest.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using DS Forum