Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #21
shannychi
Registered Users
seller

Re: Intensity of pushing

I loved reading all of these comments. Sooooo interesting. I am actually very quiet during labor and like to be left alone during labor, even delivery, actually. But, boy, I have let out a HUGE scream as I pushed all five of my children out. I just did what was natural, but I have a audio tape of one and that scream - wow.

I had all five of my children "au natural" No epidurals, no pitocin, etc. I could get through the labors okay - I need to be up and walking around and left alone. But that pushing - I remember each of them like it was yesterday. That crazy feeling - its indescribable.

My theory is that since my labor an deliveries have all been really fast - yes it wasn't dragged out - but I think my body has no time to deal with the intensity. I've gone from 6 to having the baby #4 in 15 minutes - thankfully the nurse caught her with one glove while I stood next to the bed. Baby #2 was born in the foyer - I was walking out the door (well clutching the door knob) and felt his head between my legs. They've all been fast and memorable - all five. I also tear every time - maybe because its so fast?

I never "pushed" either, as some have said. I just let my body go and screamed. Ha!

Advertisement

Last edited by shannychi; 09-25-2012 at 08:00 PM.
shannychi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1st was hardest,i pushed for 30 mins when they told me to. i was laying on my back

2nd also laying on my back. i felt like it was time since the epi didnt kick in, they called the dr in and the dr did massage while the baby crowned. i pushed 11 mins

3rd i was in a birth tub on my knees hugging dh. it literally was like doing 2 kegels and she slipped right out. i think positioning makes a huge difference i dont understand why they make women lay on their backs when other positions are more effective
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #23
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my first, the epi failed completely, but the pushing part, while painful as heck, was not awful. I was in control for the most part and while intense, it was under control. With my second, the epi worked ok, so my labor was great. I slept and chatted with DH. However, when I got to 10cm, all hell broke loose. I had so.much.pressure. My body just took over and I was sobbing and panicking because I couldn't control anything at all. He just slipped out in about 3 pushes. The pressure was just insane. He's nearly 14mths old and I can still remember that part like it was yesterday.

ETA: I also love labor and delivery. Pregnancy is not good for me(SICK the whole time), but birth was amazing and exhilirating(yes, even in a hospital and with meds). I'd have a whole passel if all I had to do was birth them and could skip the whole pregnancy thing.

Last edited by jackyl08; 09-26-2012 at 11:24 PM.
jackyl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #24
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Transition was intense, but pushing wasn't. I stood and pushed though, so maybe that had something to do with it. Laying down probably would have been intense for me.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was so worried about pushing with my second because my first took 3 hours - of pushing - 12 hours total labor. I had to have oxygen, I couldn't tell when contractions were starting or stopping, I tore. She kept withdrawing. It was miserable. I kept saying over and over, "This is NOT going to work." Then DD2 came in 3 pushes and about 2 seconds.
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #26
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first just felt like pooping....(epi and 4lbs 9ozs)
My second I felt just enough to know my pushes where moving him (epi and 6 lbs 2 ozs).
My third (no epi and 7lbs 14ozs) was totally embarrassing b/c I couldn't push right and was screaming my head off. I was very unprepared for transition and labor to be so fast that my mind was reeling in shock and this guy was about 4 lbs larger then my first and about 2lbs larger then my second. The way I acted during the stitches for my tear is rather embarrassing as well.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #27
tricia17lee
Registered Users
seller

I had a pitocin induced labor and was unprepared for the intensity of those back to back contractions coupled with exhaustion from being awake for a couple of days.

Honestly, the pushing was a relief. The burning "ring of fire" feeling made me nervous but my midwife kept assuring me it was normal and I wasn't tearing. The pushing took the pain of the contractions away. I didn't have an Epi but I did have a shot of nubain (sp?). DD was 8lbs and I'm pretty petite and I'd say the pushing was the easiest part for me.
tricia17lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #28
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD1 had epi, episiotomy, and vacuum. Couldn't feel a darn thing so they had to tell me when to push and I doubt I pushed very effectively. DD2 had epi but could feel pressure before pushing but no urge and while I didn't need any "help" I think it's because she was so small. DD3 &4 had natural water births and I def felt an urge to push! DD3 I was a little unprepared for since it was my 1st natural and I didn't know how it was gonna be. I remember saying "I can't do this!" but of course I did. DD4 I was more relaxed and knew I could do it and what to expect so it didn't seem as "hard" and the intensity/pain of delivery seemed less.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #29
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePatootiesMama View Post
I actually tried to run away and tell them that I wasn't going to do it. (haha I scooted back in the birthing tub as far as I could get).
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #30
avismomma816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was in labor 27 hours... And pushed for 2 hours straight without drugs. It was SO intense... I was exhausted and my eyes were blood shot. She had to be suctioned out, but found out I have very very narrow hips and a tiny birth canal. It's the craziest thing... Just glad my baby's here and I didn't have to have a c section. Doctor told me it was the most complicated birth in her 15 years of delivering.