Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nut free snacks

OP- I wanted to add if you shop Walmart- Great Value Brand items are labeled very well. Companies are not required to label if an item is processed in the same facility or on shared equipment. Companies that do so, do it voluntarily. Great Value stuff is insane with its labeling- they are really big on covering their rears. They make it pretty easy and you'll be surprised where you might find cross contamination risks.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies!

The preschool isn't peanut/ tree nut free. All the parents in each class lets the teacher know about any allergies and then they send a paper home telling us what the allergy is and what we need to avoid. I will definitely be checking all labels. I have no idea if the parent of the child with the allergy sends them with a snack of their own. I don't think they do, otherwise it wouldn't matter what the rest of us sent when it is our kids snack day you know? I'm glad they are letting us know about it though. Little ones always share food and so even if the child with the allergy has a special snack his mom sent with him, I don't want to send a snack with nuts/peanuts and then the other kids share with him and he gets hurt. I think it is just safer to make sure there aren't any peanuts/nuts going into the class room at all.

Oh and I don't know if the child is a boy or girl- it was just easier to say "him".
Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
Yup, I'm with you. Dd only eats snacks that we've approved individually or what we send from home. Her school is officially peanut/tree nut-free, but I see people with potentially dangerous snacks (granola bars processed on shared equipment, etc.) all the time. My dd has a number of non-top-8 allergies, which makes things even more complicated, because there are no labeling requirements for those. We have to call companies individually, and many of them won't or can't give out sufficient information. I think most people are well-meaning but it's difficult for them to grasp all the complications of food allergies if they're not dealing with them everyday.
Totally agree. And to see the life or death potential of certain situations. It doesn't really hit home until you have a child with that possibility.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammy View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

I have no idea if the parent of the child with the allergy sends them with a snack of their own. I don't think they do, otherwise it wouldn't matter what the rest of us sent when it is our kids snack day you know? I'm glad they are letting us know about it though. Little ones always share food and so even if the child with the allergy has a special snack his mom sent with him, I don't want to send a snack with nuts/peanuts and then the other kids share with him and he gets hurt.
We send most of our dd's snacks, but it DOES matter what the other kids are eating. Many children with severe food allergies are allergic to food particles in the air or to food they come into contact with even if they don't eat it. Dd is contact allergic to some foods so the children in her class all have to wash hands after lunch and snack to keep her from getting ill. In any classroom with food-allergic children the teachers should be insisting that no food is shared and enforce those rules. Dd's friends all know quite well that there's no sharing and no touching during snack time.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote