Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie
My Mood:
teaching and rocking baby?

Do any homeschooling moms still rock their baby to sleep? We've rocked both our kids to sleep well past the age of 1, so I'm wondering how to HS while doing that....? if it's possible?? As of now 3yo will either watch cartoons or play quietly while I rock 1 yo to sleep, then when I put him down we start on lessons. But as the older kids get older and i'm still rocking the little ones to sleep, how do i teach at the same time? is that just a "pause" in the days lessons?

Kalli: We're a Christian family, we homeschool and we wish to be hippies on a farm! Married 8 years with three blessings:

Catherine Grace (6)
John Gabriel (4)
Laura Josephine (1)
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: teaching and rocking baby?

I still rock/nurse my toddler down.. She tends to nap at a faily regular time after lunch My 9 year old is starts one of her independent study blocks and I'll go lay/rock nurse with my 2.5 yer old in my bedroom for an hour. Its also my kinda down time for the day.. 9 year old has enough to keept her focused and busy and knows she can ask any needed questions after I get out. (or get me if it is an emergancy) If its an unussuall day and I've finding myself needing to tend to my toddler more than normal then it does kinda pause the day, but she can still do school related things read do her independent stuff journal write etc...

I can not spell and have no phone to blame things on.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I usually find something idependent that my older one can do. Maybe coloring book, workbook, writing etc. Something that doesn't take my guidance. If there isn't anything we just "pause" like you said and get back to work after I'm done. My son loves to take breaks during school to play so he doesn't mind at's me who minds because then he doesn't want to start back up again.
Amanda hopelessly in love with my US Marine and three little men 12, 7.5 and 4 years<--what! When did that happen?
*KaiMom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Registered Users
I nurse my 14m old to sleep (as I am right now). I usually put her in a carrier and let her snuggle while I work with my oldest.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Registered Users

I teach in a tiny (10 student) public school, but I've been bringing my two daughters with me to work/school since they were 9 months old and 3 months old. I couldn't really take a break so I just put them on my back in a mei tai while I was doing lessons, and then once they were asleep, I would lay them down for their nap in the back of the classroom.
wife to John (8/5/00) mom to D (7), A (4.5), and N (2)
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Registered Users

My oldest is only three, so I have no experience at older then yours, but instead of cartoons, maybe try a educational video. My two oldest ones love LeapFrog DVDs and even my almost two year old really likes them and is learning. The 3 year is doing very well with learning from them and keeping the songs in his head to remember it.
Married to A & I'm B together we have been blessed with
C, D, E, F, G, H, & I
MrsAsh is offline   Reply With Quote