Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Users
Ideas for my 3yo?

My 5yo DD goes to Early Childhood three days a week (transitioned from Birth to 3) and my son is 3 now and is just soo heartbroken he can't stay at school with DD and play. He's SO into hands-on activities and I'm thinking of making a little box with little "school" things in there for just him while DD is in school.

He knows his colors and shapes, and has started working on counting and ABC's (as we work with DD he learns with her). I've tried the dry-erase flash cards for ABCs and learning to write letters, but he isn't really into sitting still and writing or doing things on paper. Crafts, yes. Puzzles or games or blocks, yes.

Do you ladies have some good ideas/activities/craft items I can stock a little box up with to keep him busy and learning?

I remember my step-mom taught 1st or 2nd grade and had a bunch of math manipulatives that my brother and I just LOVED and I was thinking about getting a set or two of those (like the locking cubes and counting bears).

We also have puzzles and blocks here at home that he loves to play with, but I wanted to get something that would be set aside just for his "school" time so that they're special for him.

Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Ideas for my 3yo?

Those are all great things you have set up for him already. I just got the Letter of the Week Curriculum from Confessions of a Homeschooler Blog. It was $10 and then I have just been slowly printing off the games and activities and laminating some to make them last for the next child. They are very fun little games and hands on learning things... even my 5 and 7 year old want to play with some of them!
Leah, Jesus lover, wife to youth pastor Todd
and loving being a Homeschooling/SAHM to 6 boys!
Mummandherboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

1+1+1=1 has a TON of ideas for tots! Tot trays are and idea! She also lists her favorite tot toys & preschool toys. LOTS of ideas. I like Confessions of a Homeschooler too. We combine both
Tawny - wife and helpmeet to Gabriel SAHM to DS1 9/9/08 and
DS2 4/1/10 AND Expecting someone new in September!
sweetgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Registered Users

We love pattern blocks! I have a big set of them and my 3 year old (turning 4) loves to start school with them everyday. I printed out a set of patten block sheets from pre-kinders and laminated them and he adores making all of the animals. It's good for learning colors, shapes, and fine motor control.
Nicole; spunky, sassy mama to my two little wild ones: Logan (9-08) and Liam (11-10) and Grayson (12-12)
I blog about the hilarity that comes along with raising my boys!
nicolemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I can email you some stuff we used, its too big of pdf files to attach here.

Its a lot of printing though. We just got a 3 ring binder, dry erase markers and the clear plastic sheet protectors and downloaded these for workbook pages.
I also have a mini craft book pdf and a paper plate craft book pdf.

finger paints
1.) stir 4 T sugar with 1/2 c. cornstarch. add 2. cold water, and heat over med heat until mixture is thick (it will thicken more as it cools). divide into 4 or more containers, add food coloring as desired

salt dough
1 cup water
1 cup salt
2-1/2 cups flour

1. Combine salt and 2 cups of flour. Mix in water, and work in additional flour if needed to make a smooth and workable dough.

2. Roll out 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Dip cookie cutters in flour and then press into dough. Remove excess dough and put shapes onto ungreased cookie sheet. If making ornaments, use a toothpick to make holes for string to pass through.

3. Bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes on each side, more for really thick items, less for thin items. Can also be dried at room temperature, time varies according to the thickness of the project- overnight-2 days is normal.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote