Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Considering HS in NC...overwhelmed

I am considering pulling my DD out of PS kindergarten. I talked to the Dept of Non Public Ed today all I need to do is go to the school and withdraw her they can send a social worker to my house, but the compulsory age for school in NC is 7yrs so they really can't do anything. The DNPE told me all I have to tell the SW is that I plan to homeschool. Also the DNPE will not officially make me a school until she is 6 yrs old which will be in November so I can file my letter of intent after her bday. Legalities out of the way and for the most part understood. Anything else I need to know I am now diving into curriculum!!! I don't know where I would begin plus we'd be getting a bit if a later start too so I don't want to do a ton of catch up work with her and overwhelm us both! What do I REALLY NEED budget is tight do I can't go overboard. I just don't know what I am "supposed" to be teaching her! I just don't know where to start. Please help me all you HS veteran mamas. I need it! Thanks for reading this far!!

Oh and if you are an NC HS mama please reply or PM me with any valuable insight PLEEEEEASE!!!

Advertisement

SAHM to S 11/9/06 J 11/1/09 and M 10/27/11

Last edited by meg28; 09-26-2012 at 07:09 PM.
meg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
LauraJane429
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering HS in NC...overwhelmed

I'm not a veteran homeschooler, as we just started kindergarten for my oldest son. However, from my understanding, you do not need to fill out the intent to homeschool application with the DNPE until your child will be 7. Here are the guidelines for NC: http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh103.aspx. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in the Raleigh area, there is a store called The Gathering Place off of Glenwood Ave that sells used curriculum (along with new). This year, we are working on reading, writing, math and science. On holidays, we'll go over the social aspects - talk about traditions, make crafts, etc. Basically, you just want to get your DD on the way to reading and writing and basic math (addition/subtraction and counting easily to 50).

But, basically, there's nothing in place for testing, etc for children under 7. I believe once she's in 2nd grade, she'll need to start having EOY testing. And that link outlines the info you need to have on hand/filed.

ETA: In that link I provided, under the reminders, it says:
"To avoid needless delays, always use this Notice of Intent form when sending your notice of intent.
Please DO NOT send a Notice of Intent to DNPE for the present school year if the only students to be enrolled in your home school: (a) Are currently under age 7 and will not turn age 7 before this coming June 1; or, (b) Are currently 18 years of age or older."

So, I don't think you need to file anything for this school year since she won't be turning 7 until next school year (November 2013).

Last edited by LauraJane429; 09-19-2012 at 04:02 PM.
LauraJane429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Candy Lee
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like you are doing the right things already!

I wouldn't stress out about where to start or what you need to cover. I have a Kindergartener right now, and while we do use our curriculum loosely, we mostly just play a lot with things he can learn from and read, read, read! Just by doing that combined with plenty of one-on-one attention, he has already learned so much more than other kids his age. I'm not sure if you visit the library already, but that is our best resource. We do storytime, and we try our best to do regular unit studies on things he is interested in. Kindergarten is a fun time. . . just enjoy it with your little one! You guys will be fine!

ETA: I am in the Hickory area. . . not sure if you are near me, but I can get you info on local homeschool groups if so!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

I can't advise you on state compliance, but Sonlight has WONDERFUL curriculums that are great for new home schoolers. They are easy to follow & understand, and super convenient since they include everything you need for the whole year!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi, I'm in NC too. This is our first year with our kindergartener. Compulsory age here is 7 so normally you do not have to do anything until the school year when your child will turn 7 but I was just talking to a friend of mine who is pulling her son out of public k and she was told that since he has already been enrolled public school then she did need to do the notice of intent.

And I am in the triad if you are looking for hs groups in that area .
Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there Meghan!

Welcome to the homeschooling forum!

Some of these great people already gave you awesome advice. Since I am not in NC I don't know the laws but I am concerned about a social worker having to come to your house. I hope that some of those families in NC can say for sure if the SW has to come to your home in order to withdraw your DD from school.

I have been homeschooling for a few yrs now. My oldest is 11yrs old and never attended a brick and mortar school. Don't worry about your budget being tight because there are so many different resources that you can use for either free or very little money. I would highly suggest that you try not to purchase anything in the beginning until you explore what you have at home already and what you can get for free.

I also second going to the library. They have SO many different books, movies and CDs. They also have great programs like story times and crafts. Start visiting your library and maybe you will meet other homeschoolers there.

Another place to get free stuff is fellow homeschoolers. We buy too much that we will never use and are looking to pass it on to others. This is a great way to get to try something out to see if you really like it.

When my ODD was 6yrs old, I made up lost of my own worksheets. She liked that they were customized to her by either having things she liked on them or including the names of family and friends.

I am in PA but I know another homeschooling family who moved from here to Indian Trail, NC and they have lots of stuff for homeschoolers in that area.

Best wishes and feel free to ask us more questions.
R055ANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA
Hello there Meghan!

Welcome to the homeschooling forum!

Some of these great people already gave you awesome advice. Since I am not in NC I don't know the laws but I am concerned about a social worker having to come to your house. I hope that some of those families in NC can say for sure if the SW has to come to your home in order to withdraw your DD from school.

I have been homeschooling for a few yrs now. My oldest is 11yrs old and never attended a brick and mortar school. Don't worry about your budget being tight because there are so many different resources that you can use for either free or very little money. I would highly suggest that you try not to purchase anything in the beginning until you explore what you have at home already and what you can get for free.

I also second going to the library. They have SO many different books, movies and CDs. They also have great programs like story times and crafts. Start visiting your library and maybe you will meet other homeschoolers there.

Another place to get free stuff is fellow homeschoolers. We buy too much that we will never use and are looking to pass it on to others. This is a great way to get to try something out to see if you really like it.

When my ODD was 6yrs old, I made up lost of my own worksheets. She liked that they were customized to her by either having things she liked on them or including the names of family and friends.

I am in PA but I know another homeschooling family who moved from here to Indian Trail, NC and they have lots of stuff for homeschoolers in that area.

Best wishes and feel free to ask us more questions.
Wow. You are so sweet thank you for the warm welcome. I was thinking of using teaching your child to read in 100 easy lessons I know it is not a set curriculum for reading but seemed budget friendly and I have a friend that liked it. As far as math I have no clue and handwriting I was thinking handwriting without tears but again a little pricey. I just don't want to be responsible for getting her behind because I didn't do enough.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms
Hi, I'm in NC too. This is our first year with our kindergartener. Compulsory age here is 7 so normally you do not have to do anything until the school year when your child will turn 7 but I was just talking to a friend of mine who is pulling her son out of public k and she was told that since he has already been enrolled public school then she did need to do the notice of intent.

And I am in the triad if you are looking for hs groups in that area .
I think that is why I was told I could do the letter of intent after she turned 6 because she was already enrolled and to protect from any legal issues....not sure, but the DNPE did say they will not accept letters of intent for a child under 6 so I think that is why she mentioned the school could possibly threaten sending a SW out because I would be withdrawing her without a letter of intent since the DNPE wont take my letter of intent until after her 6th bday (she is 5 will be 6 in Nov) the lady at the DNPE said simply tell the SW if they come out you plan to homeschool once she is 6.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
dklamanchas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When I withdrew my kid from public school I didnt have a letter of intent. I just filled out the withdrawal form and that was that. We live on fort Bragg so DoD schools might be different. Someone already mentioned Sonlight curriculum, we are using it and love it! We bought just the core program and found a cheaper science curriculum (apologia) and we are doing horizons for math which I found cheaper online somewhere else. If sonlight does interest you they do have a payment plan where you divide the total due into 4 payment over the next 4 months. So helpful! I don't know of anyone else who does that!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been homeschooling in NC for 10 years. I have 4 kids which range from 9th grade to Kindergarten this year. I am in the Raleigh area. I would suggest finding a local homeschool support group. They were the most important resource for me in the early years (and still are!). For K, I use Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, Saxon math, and Five In A Row. That is plenty.