Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Registered Users
Asking moms who PT under 1 year

when my dd was 5 1/2 months she disliked being wet. she would do her buisness as soon as I took off her diaper. I would give her 10 minutes of diaper-free time.she would do almost all her "poops" on the changing pad and if she didnt she would fuss to no end and I would figure it out. I got her a potty at 6 months old and she would "peepee" as soon as she sat down. soon she was "pooping" in it too. but then she decided she only wanted to "poop" in it. she has been having fewer "peepees" so maybe it is just a matter of timing. Now she is waking up dry. but she wakes up frequently at night so I know she is uncomfortable holding it in. I will start putting her on the potty at night too I guess. when she wakes up she will do 2 "peepees" in the potty. she is now almost 10 months. my question is since she is so close- is there anything simple I can do to get her to do all her buisness in the potty? I do not want to rush her but if she is able and just needs a little something extra to help her along I would like to know. Thank you!

cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Asking moms who PT under 1 year

Introduce a cue and use that sound when she goes during diaper-free time or at night. Then take her to the potty whenever you think she needs to go during the day, or you can just take he at specific intervals and make the sound. She'll probably catch on really fast!
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Registered Users

Hi there cathplyr!

How wonderful that your DD is going in the potty! It great that you are willing to offer the potty to her at night because you realize that she needs to go. I like songbird's advice of introducing a cue sound. You can also introduce sign language so she could sign to you when she needs to go. Some babies do well w/ signing and others don't. It is still a great teaching tool regardless.

Some babies do better w/o a diaper and others need the diaper on. Really you have to look @ your situation and see which one is best for your family.

Some suggestions that might make things easier is to have multiple potties in different areas of the house that way you don't have to go all the way upstairs to offer her the potty. Another suggestion is to offer the potty during times of activity change. Before leaving the house, when getting home, before going downstairs, before lunch, when you are going to the bathroom or naptime. You don't have to do all of these but just incorporating some of them might help.

Best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Registered Users

Thank you two. update: sometimes dd uses 2 or 3 dipes a day and sometimes 5 or 6. It really depends on her mood and how cooperative she wants to be. sometimes she will sit and peepee with no problem. and sometimes she kicks and cries on the way to the potty in which case I forget the whole thing and try again at the next change. she is such a high need high mainentance child and she is so stubborn and bossy and demanding. when I catch her in a good mood and its potty time- i'm in luck otherwise if she does not want to sit- she will not pee. she still wakes up dry and we were out and about for 9 hours the other day and she held it until the last half hour on the way home she has been doing that for a month or so now. she is latina/italian and has such a strong character. I have been doing the cue noises but it doesnt work for her. I am trying the sign language next.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote