Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
amylachney
Registered Users
seller

Re: Water birth question: do you get cold?

I was very cold and that was the reason I chose not to have a waterbirth with #2. The water could not go above 98 degrees, so it did not feel warm to me, and I hate being wet if I'm not in nice warm jacuzzi-hot water, but that's just me. It was actually distracting to me when I was trying to concentrate on not dying from contractions, to have the discomfort of tepid water on top of that. I will never have a waterbirth again.

Advertisement

SAHM to my baby girl Abigail 6/27/10 and little tank Patrick 2/2/12!
amylachney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #12
an_aurora
Registered Users

Not at all! I am always a cold person (right now, the room is 69* at work and I have on a hoodie AND a jacket!) and keep the house heated to 71-72 to be comfortable. I had the tub at 99-101 which is the ideal temp for delivery, and it was perfect. I was working hard so I would get a little warm but sips of ice water really helped, and a cold washcloth to the forehead was awesome. The midwives had big pots of water on the stove and added it in when it got cool, but my labors were fast and it wasn't really needed.

Amylachney--98 is too cold! Why not just add warmer water?!
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was too hot so i had ice water and cold wash cloth plus a fan. It was awesome. My pain went from like an 8 to a 3. My birtj centers tub had a heater with a thermostat becauee our state has legislation about how hot the water has to be.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My girls were both born in the middle of summer and we turned off the AC when I went into labor so as to not freeze the new baby. So the room was warm. My tub water stayed nice and warm and felt great the whole time.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was hot during labor too and loved the pool. They added water as needed to keep it warm.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was not cold at all but i was only in the tub for about an hour or so. you can always add more hot water if need be and have a heater in the room to make it more comfortable.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Wow, ladies! Thanks! For some reason I forgot about all the other people who are there helping you get what you need. That makes more sense to me that they can help regulate the temp as needed.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylachney View Post
I was very cold and that was the reason I chose not to have a waterbirth with #2. The water could not go above 98 degrees, so it did not feel warm to me, and I hate being wet if I'm not in nice warm jacuzzi-hot water, but that's just me. It was actually distracting to me when I was trying to concentrate on not dying from contractions, to have the discomfort of tepid water on top of that. I will never have a waterbirth again.
This was exactly what I was worried about. I am sorry that's how it happened for you!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoethink

This was exactly what I was worried about. I am sorry that's how it happened for you!
No one took the temp of my water. Unless I was sweating, there was no issue with the temps I picked.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #20
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm a cold-natured person so I love me some heat and I like my baths to be HOT! That said, I did not get cold at all in the tub. DD3 I was in an inflatable one and they had a little temp ducky to keep an eye on how warm it was. Plus they had a lid to put on it when I wasn't in it to hold in the heat. I actually got a little warm at one point when ctx were more intense but not enough to get out. DD4 I was in a real tub that had jets and lights (super cool) and it was soooo niiiiiice. At one point I got too warm and needed to get out so I had them break my water while I was out. Ctx picked up and I'm like get me back in that tub!