Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have a bigger family but a small house?

We currently rent a 1000sq.ft house right now. With 16mo. old in his own room, 5 and 4yr. old sharing a room, and 3 year old sleeping in a "dining room" with a curtain up that is set up like a bedroom (no table or anything). Hubs and I's bed is in the living room. Lol. So every room has someone sleeping in it, except the kitchen and 1 tiny tiny tiny tiny bathroom. Granted we are building a 6 bedroom/3bath house right now....so it works for us for the time being. We havent been in trouble or had any remarks about it or anything like that. I think people should mind their own business about how big your house is vs. the amount of kids you have. It's better than racking up CC bills and getting in debt and foreclosing on a house because "society" thinks debt is better than small houses with lots of children. My neighbor recently bought a house that is like 1400sq.ft. I THINK, it might be 1200. They have 8 kids.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

OP didn't say if she rented or not--and I think the law is different for apartments than rental homes. If you own your home there is little they can do. If you look at families like the Duggars they have a "girl room" and a "boy room".
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
agardenfull
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There was a time we lived in a 900sq ft hunting cabin with 7 children ~ The children still say it was the "Best time of their lives"! There were NO bedrooms by the way, just a loft and all the children slept in the living room and we "rolled up" bedtime in the morning!
agardenfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have about 1200sq ft of living space and a 1 bathroom. We are expecting #6 including my bonus son. Our house is a "3" bedroom house but the lady who built it was single and had no children so she had one of the bedrooms made into a laundry room, we have wall to wall shelves in there too so it is like a giant pantry/laundry room. We also have a 1 car garage. Having the laundry room and the garage make living here very easy and we don't feel crowded. The kids are still young, our oldest is 10 so I have no idea what it may be like with a bunch of teenagers. We changed the family room into our bedroom and have a boys room and girls room. The toddler still sleeps with us and so will the newbie. I like having a smaller house. I grew up in one and so did DH. People make comments but ehhhh whatever. We pay our bills and raise our kids. We have no debt and like it that way. I do agree with the pp who mentioned having less to clean. In a small space you can't hide the mess so you need to stay on top of it. Even if our house was trashed we could tidy up for company in about an hour. I always remember when the Duggars first came on tv and they had I think 14 children in a 3bed 1bath. If they can do that then this should be a cake walk.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
meesh38
Registered Users
seller

We don't have a big house. We have 3 girls in one room and 2 in another. All the time, people say "what are you going to do, eventually they have to have their own room!". Really? I don't have my own room!

I do wish we had a bigger dining room/kitchen. We're kind of scrunched there.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

We have a 4 bedroom home, and 7 children. The kids only use two of the bedrooms and the other is used for storage. We tried to put them all in different rooms, and they just slept in the same rooms anyway. Smaller houses are nicer .

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

We aren't a "big" family, expecting #3, but homeschooling makes me feel like we are scrunched. Our living area is around 700 sq ft, and then we have a play room, that unfortunately we barely use, in the basement that is about 200 sq ft. I'm grateful that we have plenty of storage space, but I'm feeling the crunch. I'm used to having more room though, and dh and I talk about how this is not a bad situation, and really, we could live her for the rest of our lives and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Check your lease for if you are restricted to how many people are in each room. I had limitations for each apartment I lived in that we could only have 2 people in each bedroom, but we don't put that in our lease so our renter can have more than that.

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

We are a family of 7 living in a 5000sqft house. I am grateful for our home but I want to move to downsize. It is so hard to keep clean and expensive to maintain. I am very unhappy living here and I have prayed for God's help in changing our lifestyle.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #19
shannychi
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
Better to be financially responsible in close quarters imo! Bedrooms are for sleeping...that doesn't take much space!
This is exactly what my DH and I say all the time. We have a 3 bedroom house and 5 kids. The three oldest share a room, the 2 yo is in a crib in her own little room and the baby is still in with us. They all want to be together all the time anyways, so it makes our life easier. The 2 yo has been saying she wants to to be with the older kids, so I think a move may be coming soon there.

When we told my MIL that we were due with Baby #5 she said something about us needing a bigger house. Ha! I feel like all I do is clean, I'd like a smaller house.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #20
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Momma View Post
We srated telling friends and such this week that we have another little one coming. I'm 17wks tomorrow (#5) and the reaction were about what I'd expect... except a couple people brought up the size of our house. Wr have a small, 3 bed 2bath 1100 sq ft house. No basement. Right now I have 2 boys sharing a room and 2 girls sharing a room. Our friends were concerned about where the new one will go and even brought up the fact that we could get in trouble for having so many people in such a "small" place. Is that true? Anyone else have a bigger family squished into a small place?
No, that is not true. We have a small house and on days i am bummed about it, i remind myself it is less area to clean. I have 3 boys in one room amd baby in our room. It is tight, but maybe someday we will have more space in a house... for now, we make it work!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote