Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #31
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Anyone else have a bigger family but a small house?

We have 3 adults and 3 kids in a 996sq foot house and we are planning on adding at least 2 more to this space. Were tight, but ok. We just keep belongings to a minimum.

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #32
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:
We are in the process of downsizing right now. We stood back and looked at how much of our house we really use and we use only about half of it. We are taught "bigger is better" and "keep up with the joneses" all our lives and people aren't happy because their whole life is spent trying to pay for things they thought they HAD to have. I think we are gonna be happier.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #33
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We live in a 2 br, 1 1/2 bath cottage now (unsure of the square footage). There are five of us; baby is currently rooming in. I definitely prefer the smaller house next to the bigger 5 br 2 bath house we had a few years ago. The extra space was unnecessary and I appreciate having less to clean.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using DS Forum
Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #34
babypeach7
Registered Users
seller

That's the craziest thing I have ever heard...getting in trouble for living in such a "small" place that's crazy. My house is the same size as yours and I have one girl and three boys just had my fourth and we only have three bedrooms. My daughter has her own room and the baby shares with us right now, but eventually the 3 boys will be in one room. Congrats on #5...i don't think size matters at all as long as you are happy
babypeach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
Janelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesajane View Post
i have four kids, plus me and my husband, in a 2 bedroom single wide trailer. it's probably about 800 square feet. when i was pregnant with the twins, that was the first question we'd get. where will you put them?! we had friends sending us real estate ads. we would love to move, but for now, this is what we can afford. it's cramped sometimes, but it puts in perspective what's important in life - family, not stuff. in 4 years, my husband will be done with school and be a doctor. then we will move to a lovely little cottage somewhere.

my understanding is that if you are a renter, there is a limit of how many people can live in a house/apartment. but if you own it, i don't think people can say anything about it. we own our trailer but rent the land. i was a little nervous to tell the landlord, but they needed to know how many people lived there in case of emergencies, like fire. they didn't give us any trouble at all.

congrats on the baby!
We are in the same boat as you...we have 4, and one on the way and live in a 720 sq ft mobile home. There are 3 bedrooms, but 1 is more of a storage room b/c there is some renovation that still needs to be done. Our girls have a tiny room to themselves and the boys sleep on toddler beds in our room. DH finished school this summer, so as soon as he finds a job, we will move, but @ this point, we are going to live in what we can afford. It is very tight, but we manage.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #36
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

I can't remember the square footage of our house but we are in a small home as well. We have a 3 bedroom, one bathroom home. One of the bedrooms we use as our computer room/office so we are 6 people w/ 2 bedrooms. I don't mind the little space but I really do wish we had more than one bathroom. Maybe one day we will do that but until then we have potties.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #37
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I dont remember exact sq footage but it's 2 adults and 4 kids for our 3 bed 1.5 bath house. It's just fine for me! Both of our parents talked about a bigger house when I was preg w DD4. I told DH sure, we'll take a bigger house if they're gonna pay for it!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #38
mrschaeos
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know square feet but we live in a 4 bedroom house. Dh and I have a room, all the girls share a 14x24 room, an the boys each have a 10x10 room. The only thing I would change is one more bathroom, a wider dinning room or a skinnier table lol and a bigger living room. The bedrooms are fine. The boys could actually share a room and be ok with it. Oh and more closets!!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #39
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are 2 adults 4 babies in a 2 bedroom (3 technically but one is the office/sewing/craft/storage room) 1 bathroom 1100 sq ft house. We moved from a much bigger space with a full garage and we are doing just fine. We downsized a LOT. The 2 oldest are sharing a bunk bed. The little one is sometimes in the "spare" bed in their room and sometimes in our bed or the cosleeper and the baby is in our bed. It's not ideal for everyone but we don't mind sharing our room/bed with the littles.

I'm rambling. I think you'll be fine. We only have one closet and one dresser.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #40
emsody22
Registered Users
seller

We have 4 boys and live in a 1000 sq foot 3 bedroom 1 bath duplex. I don't see how you could get in trouble! But be thankful you have 2 bathrooms lol, 1 for a family of 6 is terrible!!!
emsody22 is offline   Reply With Quote