Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #51
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have a bigger family but a small house?

We have 7 kids (8 but 1 has moved out) in a 5 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom house with tiny living areas. One of the bedrooms is used as an office for dh's work so effectively we have 4 bedrooms.
I get a lot of comments too, a friend just said to me "I feel sorry for you guys all squished in that house, everytime I walk past I feel bad for you". It really upset me and surprised me, this lady has never even been inside my house, she is a parent at the kids school and walks past our house to go to the shops.
I don't feel squished in at all really, sure there are times like Christmas with all the extra decorations and tree and guests that it annoys me a bit but mostly I don't feel too squished, we live very minimally so we don't have much clutter at all.
Also I have a 17 and 21 yr old and the 21 yr old will most likely move out next year.

eta the lady that made the comment has one child in a 2 bedroom house but it is absolutely full to the brim with clutter and rubbish, the child sleeps surrounded by smoke as they both smoke in the house and the house is dirty, really dirty. Funny how people can make comments on others position and not think about their own.

Advertisement

Last edited by clothlover8; 12-27-2012 at 07:37 PM.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #52
3boys_mom
Registered Users

We have seven ppl that occupy a 2bd rm apt. My boys sleep in their room and the girls are in the master bed room with DH and myself. I'm sure it varies by state/location, but my knowledge of CPS is that every child has to have their own bed, regardless of co sleeping.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #53
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a 1540 (or 1520?) sqft home- 3 bed/2.5 bath. The 3 boys share a room b/c their room is bigger than the room dd has. Their room easily fits a set of bunk beds and then a twin bed. If we ever have a 4th boy, we would take out the twin and put in another set of bunk beds and the floor space would be the exact same. If we ever have another girl, we would take out dd's twin and put in a set of bunk beds.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #54
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're still a small family, but I just wanted to share that my grandparents had 11 kids in a 3bd 3 bath ~ 50 years ago. We love our small home 2 bd 1 bath and won't ever want anything bigger than a 3 bd 2.5 bath Way too much to clean!
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #55
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsody22 View Post
We have 4 boys and live in a 1000 sq foot 3 bedroom 1 bath duplex. I don't see how you could get in trouble! But be thankful you have 2 bathrooms lol, 1 for a family of 6 is terrible!!!
Our house has 5 bedrooms (one is walkthrough) and one bathroom that is the size of a closet.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #56
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we are a family of 6 in 1100 sq ft. the three big kids share a room (big kids... haha. 5, 3, 22m) and the newb rooms with us. they have a triple bunk, and we are already joking about adding a fourth level with the babe is ready to move in with them.

we make it work with the space we have, and we are all (mostly) happy to live so close together.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #57
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
We are a family of 5 in a 3br/1b with very low ceilings (about 7ft) so that makes our small house feel even smaller! But we make it work, we have the two littlest in one room and then the oldest in her own room with all the toys so its half-bedroom, half-playroom. The rooms in this house are small but our loving room and kitchen are pretty big so we all hang out there, and we are outside A LOT when its nice out. The interesting part is when we have parties... Which is quite frequently. We manage to cram lots of people in here, lol!

Eta our house is 1180 square feet with a root cellar basement and one closet!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #58
1sttimemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have our 3 in a bedroom together and I got a lot of grief from MIL when I told her to back off looking for a bigger place for us since most likely when the girls start school full time we're moving out by DH's school an hour away. She gave me this whole line that we'd get in trouble and the school would report us to the state for having opposite sex children sharing a room once they hit school. So I called CPS and they chuckled about it.... then told me that this was not something they worried about.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #59
SageR
Registered Users

My Mood:

Laws withstanding I absolutely agree that lots of space and personal, private rooms are a luxury our culture has sadly turned into a given. The majority of the people in the world live in really small spaces, often without the amenities we have also come to take for granted.

We are 6 in a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath house. 1,200 sq feet, no attic or basement. The three boys share a bedroom and the baby sleeps with us. During our waking hours we don't even use the bedrooms so I feel like we are essentially living in half the space and it is fine. The kids are used to just being together all the time and it seems like it hasn't really occurred to them that everyone gets his own room. Privacy is not really a word in our vocabulary - or, at least, we have to take it in turns. I don't feel like we have much choice anyway. We built our home and it is very personalized so I think it would be hard to sell in this market. Our mortgage is much less than renting would be too so that is how we can manage with me not earning any income. And honestly I have a hard enough time keeping up with cleaning and tidying as it is, I can't imagine having more to do!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #60
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Technically, our home isn't tiny, but our huge basement with the 13 foot ceiling is unusable! We need a mold remediator, but can not afford it.

So, there are 6, soon to be 7 of us on one floor: 3 bedrooms, 2 bath and an open living room/dining room/kitchen. Although, we have a 3rd bedroom it's used for play or guests, which we welcome. My children do not want to sleep alone.

When we moved in the eldest (16) didn't want her own room. She insisted her sister (9) room with her. Then, our 1st son moved into their room. The laughter and chatting at bed time is wonderful to hear! Our 2nd son is still in his crib....his choice, in our room. The new babe will be crammed into our room, too in a cradle. We'll shift the kids as needed.