Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #71
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have a bigger family but a small house?

Our house is small but more than we really need thats for sure! It is 1100 sq ft, living room, kitchen, 1/2 bath, full bath, 3 small bedrooms and a little finished attic. Our girls share a bedroom, soon our son will move in there too once he is ready to leave my bedroom. Our 3rd bedroom we made into our homeschooling room and our finished attic is a playroom! I feel like we have more than we need, and i see us adding on to our family before we are in a position to sell!

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #72
dalynnrmc
Registered Users

My Mood:

I haven't read all 8 pages of responses (skimmed the first page), but we are 7 people living in a 3bd/1ba house that's about 1000 sq ft. Not what we'd love, but it's what we can afford in this season, and we make it work!

I'm new to DS, came for the FSOT, but hadn't realized there was a whole community here. Nice to meet you all!
dalynnrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #73
shoesundone
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agardenfull
There was a time we lived in a 900sq ft hunting cabin with 7 children ~ The children still say it was the "Best time of their lives"! There were NO bedrooms by the way, just a loft and all the children slept in the living room and we "rolled up" bedtime in the morning!
When I was a kid, my family -- mom, dad, grandmother, grandfather, sister, and I -- lived in a two bedroom apartment. It really was the best! It was only for a year, but I just loved the closeness of it. And there was plenty of room since we could only have what we needed.
shoesundone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #74
Jamimclaugh
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry and I hate when others judge. It's just more inconvenient for us moms with less space! I look at the positives though, and we get out of the house a lot.
Jamimclaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #75
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are a family of 5 (DH, myself, 5yo, 3yo, 2yo) and we live in a 750sq ft 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. It works out great for us! The boys have a bunk bed and a toddler bed in their room with one Ikea toy storage system. They all share one tiny closet, which helps me to be more minimal with clothes. I like that the smaller house is less work for me to keep clean. We had the huge 4000+ sq.ft house and I was so overwhelmed trying to keep up with it. I am much happier in this house! We do plan to finish our basement and put at least another half bathroom down there in the next few years. It will become the kid's zone down there lol!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #76
andrea3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are a family of 7 (with another on the way), we own a house that is 1040 sq ft with a full unfinished basement and large two car garage. It has three bedrooms and one bathroom, we use the basement only for storage and the garage is used for my husband's tools and our two vehicles. The three older girls share a room with triple bunk beds, our son and youngest daughter share a room and the baby will be in our room for the first year. We planned on putting our house on the market this spring, but my husband is a government employee and is facing sequester, so we'll have to make do a little longer. The house is set up fairly well, so the size isn't a huge deal, we just wish we had another bathroom.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #77
BlissfulMoM
Registered Users

Family of six with one on the way in a 3bed 2.5bath townhouse. Its honestly feels a little big sometimes, especially because it has two floors. We don't really need than third bathroom. We came from a 3 bed 1050 sq ft flat with one less bathroom and it was very doable. Before that a BIG house and I couldn't stand it! It is so much easier to manage a large family in a smaller space, IME.

The KEY to a big family in a small space is minimalism. I did not do this when my first 3 were little and I was always frustrated and feeling overwhelmed. Minimizing our possessions has saved my sanity. We do not keep things that don't have a current use. We frequently downsize books, clothing, and toys. I even get rid of outgrown clothing! Our kiddos are spaced so far I would have to store it 3-7 years before the next once could wear it and its just not worth it for me. I sell or consign it, and use the money to buy what fits. I nearly always buy second-hand so its easier to let things go since I haven't spent much on them in the first place. I love getting rid of things almost as much as I used to love buying things.
BlissfulMoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #78
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We are a family of 9 and one on the way and live in a 3/2....1,700sq ft (living) house. Most of my friends who have the same family size live in much bigger homes, but I am content in the size home we are in. Bigger homes comes with bigger monthly note, higher utilities, more cleaning, etc. when the children are gone I don't want to be stuck with a house that is so big...I'd want to down size.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #79
Dahlia64
Banned

We have 5 kids, pregnant with number 6 and our house is the same exact square footage as yours and size. LOL! Kinda funny. We have one bedroom with 4 boys (2 bunk beds) and one bedroom with just our daughter. We do have a huuuge atic BUT we dont use it because it needs alot of work. No basement...we have a smaller kitchen, 2 smaller batherooms 2 smaller living rooms and a dinning room! They kids dont mind now but I always wonder what will they think as they get older?
Dahlia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #80
Muninay
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are a family of 8 living in a 2 bed/1 bath home. We used to rent a 4/2 which was much bigger. But now we own this house, mortgage free is much better.
Muninay is offline   Reply With Quote