Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Keme
Registered Users

My Mood:
Beatriz Xochitl's birth story

So the prelude to this birth story was 3 weeks of Prodromal labor- often contractions gearing up in the afternoon, increasing in intensity until around midnight and then petering off- weeks of this. Because of this, I basically refused to believe I was actually in labor!

Wednesday the 24th was my fiance's day off of work, and we decided to go for a long walk and run some errands. I was 3 days overdue, and anxious for something to happen. We took our 3 year old out for the morning, and while using the bathroom at the McDonalds near my bank, I noticed some bloody show. I texted my midwife as a heads up, and because of all the Prodromal labor, she asked us to stop by and get checked out. She did a cervical exam and said I was 2cm and baby's head was extremely low, but my cervix was still "back". She asked if it would be ok to move it forward manually, and I agreed. In moving the cervix forward, I went from 2cm to 4cm immediately. She suggested we go home, rest, eat and get some light exercise. Said she's be very surprised if I wasn't back at the birth center within 24 hours. Bernardo and I laughed- we had had enough "false alarms" in the past few weeks that I don't think either of us expected to have a baby anytime soon.

Had my usual evening contractions, but by 11pm there was nothing, so we went to bed. At 2:30am Thursday I woke up with contractions that were suddenly much stronger- they had a crampy element and were coming about 7-9 minutes apart. A little before 4am I woke up Bernardo because I was having to breathe through them, and they were lasting for about a minute. He had to leave for work at 6am, so we texted our midwife to ask what her thoughts were (still both in denial that labor was happening). She listened to me breath through 2 contractions (which by now were 4-5 minutes apart) and said she'd head over to the birth center, and asked us to meet her at 6am.

As soon as I started packing for the birth center the contractions slowed down to 7-9 minutes apart again, and I feared it was more "false" labor. I texted asking if we should wait at home a bit longer. She said we might as well see where I was, and we could go home if needed. We had some breakfast and then at 6am we dropped DS off with his tia across the street, called a cab and headed to the birth center. I debated not even taking our bags, so sure was I that we'd be sent home. In the taxi I had two strong contractions, and he asked me not to have the baby in his cab, haha. He seemed mighty confused to be dropping us off on a residential street instead of a hospital!!

So by 6:30am we were at the birth center, but decided to wait to get checked. The midwives watched a few contractions and agreed that we should stay for at least 4 hours and "see" what happened (both confided later that they knew we were well on our way to having a baby, but I was still very much in denial and still deciding if Bernardo should go in to work!). At 8am our doula showed up and heated up some soup we'd brought, I was able to eat a half a bowl and then switched to my mango laboraid cubes in water- so so delicious! I was really glad I'd made them! For those first few hours, Bernardo cat-napped on the couch and my doula read her book. I mainly stood near the door of the birth suite, because the concrete wall there was cool, and the room had several space heaters that were making me really hot. I stood back to the wall, and come a contraction, I'd turn around, hands on wall and squat and sway through the contraction while humming. I caught a rhythm with them quickly that made the humming really helpful.

This went on until around 10am. My midwife Laura asked if I'd like to be checked, and I said yes. I was anxious to see if I'd made any progress because the contractions were quite painful by then. I was disappointed to hear I was still only 4cm! She said my cervix had slipped back again, and again she moved it forward. She had me lay through a contraction, and said moving it forward helped the contractions to be "more productive", and almost instantly took me to 7cm! This news excited me at first- fast progress! But as soon as I got off the bed- agony! The contractions immediately started coming 4-5 in a row, 1-1 1/2 minutes long, with no break between them. After 4 or 5, I'd get a 2-3 minute break, but that barely felt like enough time to catch my breath. My doula set up a birthing ball near "my wall", and in those 2-3 minute breaks I'd rest on the ball, standing up to sway and squat through the contractions. Bernardo sat on the couch, watching for me to ask for help, but he didn't hover around or ask if I was "ok". I asked for the lights to be turned off, and I was suddenly in my own world. A world of intense pain, but I knew putting that pain into words to Bernardo or Karrin (the doula) would make it unbearable.

At one point I heard the second midwife tell Bernardo that if my water broke, someone needed to get her IMMEDIATELY because the baby would most likely come fast.

Around 1pm I asked to use the bathroom- I hadn't had a bowel movement in over 24 hours and I knew I was due. Laura was worried I'd start pushing out the baby in the bathroom, so she followed me in. At this point there was almost no rest from the contractions, and I couldn't poop for all the pressure. When we got back to the room I leaned on "my wall" and called Bernardo over and whispered "no puedo...no puedo"- I can't, I can't, and ripped off all my clothes. At this point the midwives came in and started prepping the room for delivery. I was thinking "NO! This isn't it, I just have to poop!"

At this point, they told me later, they believed I was ready to push, but I wasn't there in my mind yet. I stood on a chuck pad in the middle of the room, my arms around Bernardo's neck and his hands around my waist and moaned and did hip circles for a good 15-20 minutes. He was whisper praying and holding me- even in those moments of intense pain I felt more love from him than I ever had before- it was truly beautiful. But the urge to poop was overwhelming.

They had me sit on a labor stool- a sort of crotchless chair low to the ground, over a chuck pad and said "ok, poop if you need to!" I tried, but I couldn't do it. Laura at that point checked me and said I was fully dilated on one side, my the other side wasn't complete and I needed to lay on my left side through a few contractions. I said I couldn't lay down, but I did, and those 3 contractions on my side were complete agony- I screamed uncontrollably and felt like a wild animal. After 3 contractions there they let me go to my back, and sit up. That had done it, I was 10cm and ready to push. But all I felt was the urge to poop. And then, finally, I did- and not to be gross, but it was a lot! They cleaned me up from that, and as soon as that left my body I felt the baby's head in my crotch, and that distinct different pressure consumed me, and FINALLY I realized "This baby is coming NOW".

I screamed uncontrollably through one more contraction, and then was able to moderate to grunting. One push and her head was out, but slid back in. They asked if I wanted to see it, and I screamed "no!" Bernardo held one leg, and the midwife in training held the other. A second push and her head was out to stay, and then the relief of the rest of her body.

While the midwife in training announced the time (2:02pm), one midwife ran to get something to break the bag of waters. The baby was out but the bag was intact. Laura, who had caught the baby, slipped her finger under the baby's neck and the bag broke and Beatriz screamed, and they put her on my stomach. I could see immediately she was perfect. For some reason I started asking "what is it? A girl?" even though we'd seen by ultrasound that she was months ago. Total pushing time was 17 minutes- not a single tear! Placenta came out a few minutes later and I was able to relax and bring Beatriz closer- the cord wasn't quite long enough for her to be up on my chest so once the placenta was out and they cut it, she was rooting for a breast and nursed right away.

After 2 hours of nursing and snuggling we got her vitals- 7lbs 15oz, 21 inches. She was wonderfully alert and content to stare into her papa's eyes all afternoon while I was fed black bean soup. I was laughing that from such a beautiful birth suite I'd ended up laboring on a concrete wall! 4 hours postpartum we headed home with 3 year old DS in tow, proudly giving us minute-by-minute updates on his new baby sister

Beatriz Xochitl- came into the world in caul, wonderfully strong little girl and our family is feeling so blessed!

meeting papa

one week old

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Beatriz Xochitl's birth story

She is so cute! What does her middle name mean?
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Keme
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
She is so cute! What does her middle name mean?
Thanks
The name is Nahuatl (Aztec) because my fiance's father is Nahua and we wanted to honor that heritage. Xochitl means "flower", but is also a nod to Xochiquetzal, the Aztec goddess of love, female strength, fertility and childbirth (and chocolate!). We felt in utero that she was a very strong spirit, and wanted to reflect that with her name, but we were worried it would be too hard for people to pronounce, hence the middle name.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
pine_apple_goat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Beautiful! Congrats!
pine_apple_goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Acho
Registered Users

She is gorgeous!
Acho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

She is beautiful, congratulations! I love your avitar pic it made me laugh
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Keme
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoennes6 View Post
She is beautiful, congratulations! I love your avitar pic it made me laugh
hehe, thanks! my poor little guy was disappointed to find out he couldn't breastfeed the new baby
Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #9
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on your Beautiful baby girl!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! I'm glad you had such a great birth experience. Enjoy your babymoon!
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote