Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Supplementing Help

We adopted our son at birth. He's been exclusively breastfed since birth, by me. I have a biological dd that just turned 2 last month and I was able to maintain and boost my milk supply from her nursing with the addition of daily pumping. When we were gone for 2 weeks to pick him up, and when we returned, my DD attempted to nurse a couple times, couldn't really remember what to do, and gave up on her own.

My son turned 3 months old today and we've reached the point where some days he's not satisfied by the supply I have. I'm taking domperidone and Mother Love herbs to help and that seems to be helping for now, but he still occasionally needs more than I have to offer, particularly in the evening.

I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of supplementing as I've never had to before. I've always had an abundance of milk (I've been able to donate to 13 babies besides feed my own), and have a rockin' freezer stash to work with.

If I have milk always thawed and ready, then I will most likely end up throwing a lot away. If I offer a bottle whenever he seems agitated while nursing and unsatisfied, again I end up with a lot of wasted milk because he often doesn't want it or will drink 1/4 of an ounce or something. I hate to be throwing so much milk away!

I'm too exhausted to troubleshoot this right now.

Also, while I have a Lactaid, I'm not really interested in using it. Keeping up with 3 children, 3 and under is enough work and I just don't have the time and energy to put into the work it involves. I'm really ok with him having a bottle. I'm thrilled he's had nothing but breastmilk, and that alone is my goal, not to be able to feed him exclusively at the breast.

Advertisement

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

That is so awesome that you are nursing your adopted son.

I would give him a bottle in the evening and then pump to keep up your supply. That way you can learn how much he wants in the evening and you won't waste milk and it's good to rotate out older milk with new milk.

Also I remember my kids having a growth spurt around that time so if you can maybe let him fuss a little at the breast to stimulate your body to make more milk.

Best wishes!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Supplementing Help

My son does the same thing in the evening - seems to not get enough even though there is plenty. I would do what the PP said.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
FindingMercy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know in theory I should probably pump some, but after pumping daily (1x per day at first them up to 8-8x a day for a few months before his birth) for 2 years, I'm ready to hang up the flanges. I just don't have the time/energy/emotional stamina to keep up with pumping anymore.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
FindingMercy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
My son does the same thing in the evening - seems to not get enough even though there is plenty. I would do what the PP said.
I thought that was all it was at first, but after a couple days of it I tried offering a bottle and he sucked down a couple ounces and was back to being content and happy. So I think it really is a supply issue.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I have the same thing happen but pump enough that he could have eaten from the breast. It is weird.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote