Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! My 10 month old is barely nursing!

DD has nursed today at 730am and then 230.....ever since she has been 5 months it is a struggle to nurse. It has to be quiet and dark. I know that can be normal, but I don't want to wean early. This week she has been sick and getting a top tooth. I feel like I have to force her to nurse! And it seems like its taking my milk a bit longer to let down. Then she just wants to get down. I think she is also about to walk, and she is talking up a storm (and proud of it .....now that I am typing this all out, she does have a lot going on. I just don't want this to be the end!

Advertisement

MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaZnR
DD has nursed today at 730am and then 230.....ever since she has been 5 months it is a struggle to nurse. It has to be quiet and dark. I know that can be normal, but I don't want to wean early. This week she has been sick and getting a top tooth. I feel like I have to force her to nurse! And it seems like its taking my milk a bit longer to let down. Then she just wants to get down. I think she is also about to walk, and she is talking up a storm (and proud of it .....now that I am typing this all out, she does have a lot going on. I just don't want this to be the end!
Anyone? She only nursed again at 9!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It may just be because she is teething and sick. Make sure if she isn't nursing she is getting plenty of fluids. I would wait it out a while and see what happens.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Just offer often! Is she eating many solids? I would back off some if so to encourage more nursing. Does she nurse during the night?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor
Just offer often! Is she eating many solids? I would back off some if so to encourage more nursing. Does she nurse during the night?
Yes, she nurses once a night. She loves "real food"....I'm ok if we don't nurse as often, I'm just not ready to give it up completely.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot
It may just be because she is teething and sick. Make sure if she isn't nursing she is getting plenty of fluids. I would wait it out a while and see what happens.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Yes, she nurses once a night. She loves "real food"....I'm ok if we don't nurse as often, I'm just not ready to give it up completely.
So she's nursing 4 times a day? If she loves solids so much, my thought is that she's filling up on solids and isn't hungry to nurse.

Even at this age, 90% of her calories should still be coming from breastmilk. If that's not the case (doesn't sound like it), I would reduce the solids. Just my opinion.

Also, it depends on your nursing goals. How long would you like to nurse? If you've like to nurse for a while still, I would definitely try to get her more interested in the breast by reducing solids.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

So she's nursing 4 times a day? If she loves solids so much, my thought is that she's filling up on solids and isn't hungry to nurse.

Even at this age, 90% of her calories should still be coming from breastmilk. If that's not the case (doesn't sound like it), I would reduce the solids. Just my opinion.

Also, it depends on your nursing goals. How long would you like to nurse? If you've like to nurse for a while still, I would definitely try to get her more interested in the breast by reducing solids.
I would like to nurse at least till 2....I'll try reducing solids, she just gets so fussy and grabby when food is in sight.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

I would like to nurse at least till 2....I'll try reducing solids, she just gets so fussy and grabby when food is in sight.
Yeah, if you'd like to nurse until 2 I would cut back some on solids. Offer the breast more. Be sure to get in a good nursing before offering solids. If she doesn't want to nurse I'd wait to give solids, after she nurses well then allow solids. Lol. It sounds rather strict, and I wouldn't worry much if you were planning to wean soon. But since you'd like to continue a while I would try to interest her more in the breast.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Yeah, if you'd like to nurse until 2 I would cut back some on solids. Offer the breast more. Be sure to get in a good nursing before offering solids. If she doesn't want to nurse I'd wait to give solids, after she nurses well then allow solids. Lol. It sounds rather strict, and I wouldn't worry much if you were planning to wean soon. But since you'd like to continue a while I would try to interest her more in the breast.
Thank you!!!

ETA I think my supply has dropped some too. I dot mind if she wants to nurse less, just don't want to completely wean :/

Last edited by MamaZnR; 09-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.