Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #21
jodi5
Registered Users

Re: Mama Pads. Why is it hard to get the first order placed?....

I have heard good things about homemade mama and she is very nice. I haven't tried them yet.

Since Danielle doesn't have her website up yet, here is a picture of a couple in my stash I got from her. They are all in one style with flannel or velour tops, hemp soaker and fleece bottoms, 2 snap closure.

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #22
GaGirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
I second the recommendation for Amaz Padz (www.amazpadz.com). Janet is awesome!! I had a hard time deciding at first too so I e-mailed her with a bunch of questions (according to her, there's no such thing as TMI in the world of cloth!) and she answered me based on her opinions and experiences and gave me some recommendations but then told me that if I tried something and it turned out to not be what I was looking for, she'd be happy to customize something to better fit my needs. She is wonderful to work with and I love the pads that I've gotten from her so far. I e-mailed her the other day to find out what her schedule looked like because I let time slip up on me and really need to get some post-partum pads and nursing pads quick. She said that she would squeeze me in between orders and hopefully I'll have my stuff within 2 weeks, still well before the baby is scheduled to arrive. Someone else posted on here that they got a surprise visit from AF while on vacation and e-mailed her and she was able to overnight an order to them the next day. I've heard nothing but raves about her!

We've also been chatting back and forth about different fabrics and combinations and designs and she's offered to let me test some new nursing pads and panty liners that she's playing around with. I can't wait!

You can see all of the options she has on her website, and of course, like I said, you can ask for something different if you don't see what you want. She has two different styles of panty liners. One is just basically hemp sandwiched between two layers of suedecloth (with wings). You might have an option about the top fabric...I can't remember. Those are the ones that she uses every day and they're the first ones I ordered from her for pregnancy incontinence. Even though they're technically not waterproof, I've had no problems at all with them leaking...even when I had some pretty heavy "flow". By popular demand, she's also recently started making "AIO" pantyliners which have a windpro back layer so that they will be waterproof. She also offers two different lengths which is great since I'm a bigger girl.

Her pads consist of a windpro liner with wings that snaps onto your panties and then you snap the absorbent pads onto that. She has "mini-pads", regular pads, heavy duty (can't remember what she calls them but it's extra hemp, the same size as the regulars), and overnight/post-partum pads (extra hemp and a little longer). I believe she also recently added the option for all organic fabrics on all of her pads.

I know that she does good work and wanted to try some of her nursing pads but I was a little concerned about the combination of fabrics she usually uses so I e-mailed her and asked her about them. She offered to make me up some with a couple of extra layers of hemp and a windpro backing for now, and is also going to let me try out some that she's toying with that will have a wool backing and bamboo for a super-thin absorbent core.

I highly recommend that you at least take a look at her website and e-mail her with any questions you may have. She's great about answering quickly and is SUPER nice to work with.
I totally agree. Janet is super-duper nice and answered my million questions! I had a few pantyliners from somewhere else that just didn't fit my needs, and we e-mailed back and forth until we came up with a good solution! Unlike the (quoted) pp, I'm a very small petite girl and had the exact opposite problem with pads/liners in that they were too big and too long for me. Janet cut mine down to size and they fit perfectly!! I only have AIO pantyliners from her, and they are absolutely awesome. I initially ordered just a few to try out and since my order was so small, she squeezed me in between orders (just ordeded two liners) and I got them so fast--all the way to Hawaii from her in NY. Would definitely order from her again!!!

Susan
GaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #23
veganmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

See, I am still confused.

I am gonna place an order with Carrie at Mother and Maiden. www.Motherandmaiden.com That will happen. I am looking into Homemade Mama pads. www.Homemademama.com

So who is Danielle? Jodi5 you showed some great looking pads. Are they MM fleece backed or microfleece backed? I like those.

Is Janet at Amazapads making AIO? See I know you all love her, but I want AIO. And I'm confused about this one question.

I do know that Carrie will ship a sample package for free and so will Homemademama. This is awesome. This is the way to try. I need tofind the ones that will best fit my needs and try them for a cycle. I need to wear 100% cotton underware to prevent yeast infections. So, that is why I have decided against PUL. I am vegan so I won't use wool or anything with silk. I will use cotton, poly if it is a fleece and hemp, bamboo...

Sesa70, have you been researching these as much as I have? Its harder than it looks to order. I'm just not into the idea of spending this much money to experiment and decide I don't like some....

Anyway thatnks mamas for making this a good discussion. I think anyone considering the switch to mama pads needs to know all the sites out there!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #24
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
About Amazapads, they are or not AIO? I'm thinking I want AIO.
They are a 2 piece system, the top liner snaps to the bottom and you can just change the liner if you'd like instead of the entire pad.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #25
veganmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
They are a 2 piece system, the top liner snaps to the bottom and you can just change the liner if you'd like instead of the entire pad.
Thanks Carrie, that is what I thought. Have you got my latest email? Everyone should know you have been WONDERFUL in getting an order together for me. I am looking forward to getting the order finalized so I can pay and you can make them for me
Old 06-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #26
jodi5
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmamma
So who is Danielle? Jodi5 you showed some great looking pads. Are they MM fleece backed or microfleece backed? I like those.

It is okay to be confused. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the mama pads that have been suggested here. You just have to take the plunge and order! I know that is harder said than done. I've been there not very long ago so I know the feeling.

Danielle is momof1. You should be able to pm her. She will send you a link to her photobucket and give you prices if you are interested. Her website is supposed to be up sometime this month but I checked for you and it is not up yet. It will be www.touchofcloth.com Oh, they appear to be a regular type fleece, I don't think microfleece but you might want to confirm that with her.

Jodi

Last edited by jodi5; 06-15-2006 at 09:03 PM.
jodi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #27
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

lisa, my email is one of my next stops.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #28
jodi5
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmamma
Thanks Carrie, that is what I thought. Have you got my latest email? Everyone should know you have been WONDERFUL in getting an order together for me. I am looking forward to getting the order finalized so I can pay and you can make them for me
I agree, Carrie is really helpful and somehow manages to answer these threads while getting everyone's pads made!
Old 06-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #29
EstimosNBearHugs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, so I have another question, mamas. How many pads do you think would get me through every other day? I'm going to wash my pads the same time I do my dipes, and that's how often I wash my dipes. I just ordered 2 overnights, 3 maxis, 2 panty liners and 2 minis from Mimi's Dreams @ Saucy Tots. I already have 5 what I guess are maxis that I bought from another mama. How many more do you think I should get?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #30
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

It depends on what your cycle is like. I use 12 for my entire cycle(6-7 days) and only wash at the end of my cycle.