Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
1healthylady
Registered Users

DD will be 3 weeks on Sunday. We had a rough start so I went to the LC at 4 days with cracked sore nipples. She helped a lot and once I was all healed we had one good week of nursing. Then 2 weeks hit and she started marathon feeding sessions, which I figured was normal because of a growth spurt. We haven't gotten back into a good nursing rhythm since though. She acts hungry but then cries at the boob, pulls off repeatedly, and fights sleep. She only eats about 10 minutes now whereas before it was 15-20, but she's hungry every hour during the day. She rarely takes the second side. She's started making this clicking noise when she eats too. What is that and how do I make it stop? It doesn't seem like efficient eating. What happened to my good nurser? Do we need to go back to square one? She hasn't had that milk drunk look in days. I know I have the supply, but why does it seem like she's not getting it?

ETA: she had been having at least 2 BMs a day, but hasn't had any in about 36 hours.

Sent from my Android using DS Forum

Advertisement

Last edited by 1healthylady; 09-21-2012 at 06:16 AM.
1healthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
austinandashlynsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The clicking sound could mean she has a shallow latch. I would have a lc evaluate her latch again.
austinandashlynsmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I thought we were doing well, now I'm not so sure

I know my boy (almost 7 weeks) goes on and off the boob when he needs to go pee or poops and he gets really fussy at those times too. Since i'm doing Elimination Communication it's gotten easier to read his signals. Is she falling asleep at the breast? Have you tried keeping her up with a wet wash cloth so that she can get a full feed? Also, it's normal for babies to not go poops for like three days. It's scary at first to think they are holding it in for that long but it's really ok. Just watch for a diaper poop blowout! I know it can all be confusing, tiring and irritating when a baby no longer is consistent with nursing. Just take it feed by feed and maybe see the LC again to get some reassurance and advice about the clicking sound. My DS has that same clicking sound but I know he's getting enough because of the major pees he makes! I went through some major difficulties with my first DS (my 7 week old is now DS #3). Keep getting the rest you need and maybe pump some of the extra milk so that someone else can feed her when you're too stressed out. Hope this helps!
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My daughter did the clicking and had a tongue that was a bit further back in her mouth rather than the clear obvious one that went right to the tip of the tongue. I'd have her checked for tongue tie. Once we had DD's clipped she had a MUCH better latch and my sore nipples went away.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't worry about the BMs sometimes they go for days without a poop! Honestly it's probably just a phase, DS went through a lot. Being a good nurser, a bad one, a distracted one, a short one and long one etc etc as long as there's weight gain i wouldn't worry.
Oh and DS did te clicking thing for a bit too and it stopped as well. Could be getting too much air and then needs a burp?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I agree that clicking and inefficiency are signs of tongue tie.....great "tongue tie babies support group" on Facebook....
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
1healthylady
Registered Users

Thanks for all the support. I think we're doing better, but definitely still learning. I don't *think* she's tongue tied, but I'll have the pediatrician check on Tuesday. By repositioning her on the boob I can generally get the clicking to stop. We seem to have fewer problems the hungrier she is, so if she just ate an hour ago I'm trying to soothe her in other ways first, even if she is rooting. DH has helped out a lot the last couple days too by not handing her to me every time she gets fussy and shows signs of hunger. I broke down on Friday and he's taken a much more active role since then allowing me to get some much needed rest. He's 100% committed to breastfeeding, we're just trying to figure out how to work together to make it work. Since I have the equipment, we both were feeling like there wasn't much he could do and I was wearing myself out. I think she was saving up her BMs. The next day I changed 5 poopy diapers! It was a welcome, albeit messy, sight. I'm trying to relax and feel more confident during the nursing sessions, and that seems to help too. She could probably sense my unease. I think I'll start pumping in another week so DH can take over some of the feedings. I want to make sure we are doing well at the breast first tho. I'll call the LC again if we're still having issues mid-week, but I think we're starting to get it together.

Sent from my Android using DS Forum
Old 09-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like it could be a type 3 posterior tongue tie. The baby can stick their tongue OUT but cannot elevate or lateralize it. It's not as readily diagnosed because the tongue doesn't present in the traditional heart shape.

DS had a tongue tie and acted the same way on the breast as you are describing your LO did. It took a while for him to be diagnosed and get clipped, but it was completely worth it. He was a perfect nurser after that.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hope things continue to improve so well! I'd still check about tongue tie. Usually you can look yourself and see. I didn't think any of my kids were tongue tied until I looked in her mouth as she was crying and surprise, there was a mild tie in the back. It wasn't posterior, but it wasn't a clear obvious tie. I read that if you feel something under the tongue as you run your finger back under it it's a sign there is a tie. If you check out the facebook page you can see all the different types of ties. DD could stick her tongue out to an extent, but wasn't too efficient at sucking and tended to do more of a tongue thrust type suck. Turns out I'm tongue tied, DH is tongue tied, and so is DS. It tends to run in the family, both of my parents are too. Oh having to make sure they stay latched on at a very certain angle is a sign too, I had to do that same with DD.

But then again, it could just be a phase. Do check out photos just in case though, it's a largely undiagnosed issue that I wish would be evaluated upon birth. I stopped breastfeeding DS because of his atrocious latch even though every LC I saw said it was fine. It was a truly painful experience for me. I didn't know he had a mild tongue tie till he was 3. We hope to get it clipped to prevent speech issues. He talks pretty good, but is showing signs of needing speech therapy for a few pronunciation issues.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you're doing better, but keep an eye on it. My son also has a tongue tie and did the clicking sound and broke suction very easily, but otherwise it hasn't affected his growth. It was clipped right after he was born but it's still short. He never nursed for as long as my first, and is much more distracted nursing than she was. Some of it I chalk up to personality and some of it to the tie.