Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: 2 questions about nursing

Thanks so much for all of your wonderful replies and suggestions!! I really appreciate any and all input because I REALLY want to be successful this time around! Anything else that anyone has to add is welcome!

dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Registered Users

As for the boppy I think it largely depends on your body size and shape. I am short and large chested(G). The boppy put the baby far to high up to comfortably nurse.

For the eating I eat whatever I want unless baby has issues with something. My son was having dairy issues. Not allergies. Just not digesting the milk protein. I had to give up dairy for 6 months while my sons digestive system matured. He is now 15 months and does fine with dairy so I can now eat my cheese.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
Registered Users

Whether you use a nursing pillow does depend a little on your body size, as mentioned, as well as where you are using it. If you have a nice chair with arms, you may not need one. I like to nurse in an heirloom rocking chair from my husband's family. This chair is too narrow to fit a nursing pillow, but I use the arms of the chair to help keep my arms in place to properly position the baby. With some of my other kiddos, I enjoyed nursing lying down (which someone else mentioned also). So, I would suggest you get one to try. You may or may not end up using it, but it can be helpful in positioning your baby properly. Often, you can find a good one secondhand, then you don't have to spend a lot on something you might end up not using.
As for the second question, you won't really have the same food restrictions as during pregnancy. All that about not eating undercooked meat and eggs or deli meats, etc. is designed to prevent potential pregnancy loss if you get sick. After the baby is born, it is just you getting sick if you are unlucky!
Wife to the best DH since 1997. CDing BFing Mama to #1DS 7/2002 #2DS 10/2004 #3DD 12/2006 and #4DS 5/2012. Missing my angel 2010
Mom3B1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Registered Users

i had a boppy with my fist son and found it utterly useless as a nursing pillow. It offered very little to no support at all! That being said I did find it very useful for supporting him when he was just laying around and when he was learning how to sit. I kept that boppy and used it for the same purpose for my YDS and also plan on using it for this baby. If you are looking for a pillow that would actually be useful for nursing I would reccommend the my breast friend pillow. I used it last time and LOVE it. I have to have csections and found that it offered great support as well as kept the pain at a minimum because it helped to keep the pressure off of my incision. SO really I am happy to have both items, they each have their own unique uses.
Breastfeeding , Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy, to Dylan Michael (September 2007) Aiden Edward (March 2011) and anxiously waiting for Katherine Sophia due in MAY!
iwiamandaiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Registered Users

I didn't use my boppy at all. It was uncomfortable for me. But others swear by them so I would see if you can borrow one first.

My DD doesn't have any intolerances. The only thing I don't eat/drink is caffeine. Seems like it keeps her awake. (I'm not a big caffeine drinker in general so I'm guessing she just never built up a tolerance?)
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Registered Users

I use my Boppy pillow each and every time I nurse while at home! My DS is a big boy (18 1/2 lbs at 6 months old!) and it's difficult for me to hold him up consistently.

As for diet, I don't restrict what I eat or drink. It doesn't bother my baby at all!
Mommy to my Monster (11/12/2007) and my Peanut (3/26/2012)
KaylaJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Registered Users

Ive had boppy pillows over the years but never used them for nursing. Just laid them on the floor for a place to put baby. If you want to use one great but it wasnt something I had to have.

As far as food goes I eat whatever. Ive never had an issue with any of my kids.
Tricia~31 Married for 13 years to Chad~36. Semi Crunchy mama to Aurora~12, Ethan~10, Jacob~8, Annika~5, Makenna~4, Niko James~3, Cyrus~1 and blessing #8 due 10/10/15
tasundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
Registered Users

I'm in the MyBreastFriend camp for when babies are littlest (4+ months?), regular bed pillows and Boppy just let baby slide down the crack. After baby was a little bigger, then I liked the Boppy. I was glad to have both over time.

As far as things you intake, caffeine, alcohol, and any medications you take can all pass to baby through your breastmilk. Also, some medications will directly affect your ability to make milk, such as a nasal decongestant that works to dry up your nose will also reduce your milk supply. Any medications you need (even OTC for those inevitable winter sickies) I'd definitely run by your pediatrician or lactation consultant to make sure are not going to cause problems with your nursing relationship. You're still a dyad. Good luck!
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

I love my Boppy! Definitely recommend some sort of nursing pillow.

I personally don't change my diet unless I notice that my LO is reacting to something I ate.

Good luck with nursing!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
Registered Users
I hated using pillows while nursing. It was easier for me to just hold her or to lay back and rest my arm on my body. I found I had an easier time NIP because I didn't rely on a pillow.

And yes, nutrition is important for nursing mothers!! I recommend Nourishing Traditions for more information.
Sara wifey to Chad and momma to Lily (4/11)

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote