Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Earthwindwaterfire
Registered Users
Do Not Buy from this seller~ pm an Admin if your in a transaction~ file wih paypal**

My Mood:
Gardening with pots

What are the best plants to grow in pots? Our apartment has a nice balcony and I would love to grow a few things

Advertisement

Earthwindwaterfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gardening with pots

I believe you can grow most anything if the container is the correct size. Just need good soil/nutrients and drainage. My fav for containers is herbs! I love to dry or use fresh, yummy!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Check out the soil mixture used in square foot gardening! I dont remember what it is but I grew all my bell peppers in coffee cans one year.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwindwaterfire
What are the best plants to grow in pots? Our apartment has a nice balcony and I would love to grow a few things
I have a book called...shoot...I think it's called Bountiful Containers but I'll check when I have a minute tonight. It's amazing at depth requirements for containers for just about everything and it's super helpful

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
seller

My Mood:

Ooh cool thread, sub!

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
20% OFF FOR DS MAMAS ONLY, LIMITED TIME SPECIAL!!!!
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
OwlMoma
Registered Users

Yes! The book that the pps mentioned is The Bountiful Container and it's awesome if you want to start gardening in pots. We just bought our first house, but before that I grew lots of stuff in pots and it was great! You can grow almost anything, but obviously there are a few things (think corn) that aren't very worthwhile. I'd recommend growing whatever you like to eat! Tomatoes and peppers are always fun and since you're in CA, you'll have good weather for it (Seattle is always iffy for peppers ). If you cook with herbs that's great too because they are easy and lots cheaper than those little packages from the store. As a lazy waterer though, I always have to remind myself to water more often though because pots dry out pretty quickly, especially in warm weather. Good luck!
OwlMoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a condo with a patio area, so my veggie garden is in pots. I've grown basil, onions, lettuce, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, beets, carrots, and lemongrass. Not all at once of course. I also have a lemon and lime tree in giant plastic containers. You can grow nearly all the same things that you'd grow ground, in containers. I steer away from vining plants just because they can get messy, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

I live near the coast so it doesn't get crazy hot. However, when I did live further inland, I mixed some polyacrilamide gel (water cystals), the same stuff as in diapers, in my non-food containers. That way, I didn't need to water as frequently.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
smores
Registered Users

I tried growing tomatoes this summer and while the plants themselves grew amazingly, no bees meant no tomatoes. Keep that in mind - most apartments/condos/townhouses aren't very near to places bees hang out!

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For toms, or even other open air pollinated plants...Take an electric toothbrush to the main branches. The vibrations should spread the pollen for you. Apparently around noon is the ideal time.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
For toms, or even other open air pollinated plants...Take an electric toothbrush to the main branches. The vibrations should spread the pollen for you. Apparently around noon is the ideal time.
Apparently plants like vibrators too

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote