Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weaning a toddler....

Ds2 is 31 mo. He still wants to nurse alot! If he sleeps with me it is all night. He asks several times during the day. More if my shirt shows ANY cleavage. Lol. If hubby sleeps with him he sleeps well and does not cry for milk. If I let him nurse as much as he would like I get raw.
I just feel done. I am so tired of the twiddling, pinching and wiggling. I am getting to where nursing annoys me! Help! Where do I start?

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
KaseyW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning a toddler....

I was in the same boat with my son. We started by me making certain times he could nurse; before bed and in the morning. Then we dropped the morning. And then just went to holding "the Mimi's" (his name for nursing/breasts) at bed time and occasionally snuggling on the couch, but only the top (anything else drove me nuts). That seemed to be enough. While I was pregnant with DD my husband put DS to bed most nights and DS, mostly, didn't miss the Mimi's ;-) Boundaries deffinately helped ease us towards weaning!
Good luck mama, I hope you find something that works for you and DS!
KaseyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried requiring him to sit/lay still with no twiddling? My DS is almost 3 and I don't allow him to nurse in a way that is unpleasant for me. Maybe making nursing more pleasant will help.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I usually clamp one hand/arm down on the unused breast and tell him that it hurts mommy when he pinches ect. If it is daytime it isn't as big of a deal because I then put him down and distract. Bedtime is another issue though since it gets him worked up. We have always snuggled or nursed our boys to sleep so at this point taking milkies and having him try to go to bed w/out snuggles isn't an option. I did have dh put him down tonight after I tried for awhile because I was loosing patience. I think DS went down pretty quick. Idk for sure, dh fell asleep in there lol. For our family we chose to have bedtime be as peaceful quiet bonding time. So no CIO or sleep training. We do have bedtimes and routines but are very relaxed as to who sleeps where. Sometimes we all co sleep in our king bed. Sometimes one of us is each with a boy in their room. Sometimes ds1 falls asleep on the couch. Sorry, rambling! Anyway that is why dh sleeps in ds2's room sometimes and I really sleep better when he does
Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post
I just feel done. I am so tired of the twiddling, pinching and wiggling. I am getting to where nursing annoys me! Help! Where do I start?
Mama, I understand how you feel. You sure do have patience..I doubt if I can survive so many days of wriggling/pushing and pulling!

I just posted about how I weaned my boys on this thread.

Since you dont want to cio, I rem'ber reading on DS about a mom who put bandaids on her nipples and told her daughter she couldnt nurse anymore. On babycenter, I read an upgrade to that wherein a mama even slathered on some ketchup and showed them to her son -because he tried to rip off the bandaids, the first time she tried it - and said that she fell and hurt herself. He was also 3 and totally got the idea that if he nursed he would draw blood and didnt ever ask again!

The other day, DS2 walked into the bathroom as I was drying myself. He pointed to my breasts and said taachi-his words for it. I said yes and asked if he wanted to nurse, since he hadnt asked to in almost 2mos. I lifted him and put him to my breasts, he did take the nipples in, but he didnt know what to do thereafter. That sucking response, he'd known to do even in his deepest sleep..he had forgotten!

Last edited by Bhavana; 09-10-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
momofmax
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel you hun... My son is almost 2 and nurses like a 1 mo old! He pinches my other breast or nipple when he nurses and I just about go nutts... It is becoming such a burden on me...nights? Bad. Days? A little better because I can distract him for so long. My DS still sleeps with me because if he wakes up to nurse and I'm not there...he is inconsolable until he nurses...So to save myself sleep I have become a milk station on graveyard shift... Sore and sleep deprived... I too don't do the CIO thing...maybe that's our problem? lol But I still won't do it.
momofmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmax
I feel you hun... My son is almost 2 and nurses like a 1 mo old! He pinches my other breast or nipple when he nurses and I just about go nutts... It is becoming such a burden on me...nights? Bad. Days? A little better because I can distract him for so long. My DS still sleeps with me because if he wakes up to nurse and I'm not there...he is inconsolable until he nurses...So to save myself sleep I have become a milk station on graveyard shift... Sore and sleep deprived... I too don't do the CIO thing...maybe that's our problem? lol But I still won't do it.
Exact. Same. Thing. Ugh. When does it get easier?

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote