Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Marian Grace has arrived!

Due to an anterior placenta previa, I was scheduled for a c-section at 37 weeks, which was last Monday, September 17. Anterior placentas are more complicated than posterior b/c the ob has to cut through the placenta to get to the baby, and the risk for bleeding is greater.

When I checked into the hospital, they hooked me up to some monitors. I was actually contracting every 4 minutes, it just wasn't painful. The anesthesiologist that was supposed to be on my case was held up, so they ended up calling someone from another location and my c-section started a little more than an hour late. I got a spinal block. When the anesthesiologist pricked me to see if I still had feeling, I told him that yes, I could still feel it. Throughout the delivery, I could feel more than I think I was supposed to and was telling them (or yelling it). I kept asking for more drugs and then something for nausea, b/c it was all making me nauseous. They finally got the baby out, brought the baby around for me to see, took a couple of pictures, while the docs were working on pulling the placenta out of my uterus and controlling the bleeding. They finally knocked me out completely after my arm flung around the curtain and I guess I tried to stick my hand in my abdomen. I woke up when it was over and they were transferring me to a different bed.

It was really the worst experience of my life. I kept crying, "Why does anyone have this done electively?" My MIL is an anesthesiologist and she said that it was not supposed to go like that (and that they should have knocked me out way earlier, when I was saying that I could feel too much).

I lost 1700 ml of blood, not enough for a transfusion but enough to make me really tired.

Recovery wasn't much better. They didn't give me a PCA, just IV morphine every two hours, which is not very good pain management for a c-section, at least not for me. I was told that I couldn't have something different b/c of the bleeding risk. I was not prepared for the pain from the fundal massage with almost no pain relief.

Anyways, the baby is doing great. Marian Grace, 7 lb 4 oz, 19 in @ 1300 on Sept 17, 2012. She is as beautiful and sweet as her arrival was brutal and painful.

I checked out of the hospital after 48 hours, I really should have stayed an extra day to rest but I'd had enough of the hospital and I figured I may as well be in pain in my own house.

Ready for baby!

In the OR:

Proud DH:

Happy Mama:

Advertisement

and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Phin'sMom
Registered Users
seller

Aw, she is beautiful! Hugs, I hope your recovery is going well!!
Sounds like a rough time!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Keme
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Marian Grace has arrived!

I'm so sorry you had such a rough experience, that sounds awful mama! But she is so cute, congrats and I LOVE her name
Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She looks adorable! I am so sorry her arrival did not go well. Hope you are recovering well at home! Her name is just gorgeous!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like a rough delivery I am so sorry you didn't have a better birth experience. Your baby is beautiful I hope you recover quickly.
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
photocowgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You were the cutest pregnant lady ever! She is so precious - sooooo so sorry for your bad experience, but huge congrats! We are going with Grace for our middle name too
photocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

That sound just like my delivery minus the bleeding.I was not numb and screamed the whole time for them to numb me.They never really knocked me out but they really medicated me in recovery and I remember very little but pain.Then my DH had a seziure and was in the er, we both were out of it.Recovery was slow and you look A LOT better than I did.I feel you, and Im sorry your delivery didnt got so well.
I did go on to have another via section and that was so much better!So much.And Ill be having another in December.
You did a super job momma!Congrads and best wishes for a super quick recovery.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is so cute! I'm sorry the delivery was so rough. That sounds really awful. I hope you are recovering better at home.

Congratulations!!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

She's beautiful - congratulations! So sorry you had such an awful delivery. That sounds terrible. Hope you're doing well recovering at home now!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
GooseBella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry you had a rough delivery! I hope your recovery is going more smoothly now. She's gorgeous and I love the name!