Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Please stop repeating things!

Anyone else have a toddler/preschooler who repeats things. DD2 will be 4 on November 7th. She's a smidge behind in her speech, though catching up FAST now. I think though that being behind has something to do with why she repeats stuff ALL THE TIME.

For example, we just got back from running a quick errand to drop something off. When we left, we backed out of the driveway past the mailbox. Because my teen is learning to drive, "don't hit the mailbox" is something that I often say while backing out. OF course, the 3.5yr old says the the same thing-"Don't hit the mailbox mommy."

THAT isn't the problem, it's the repetition of the same phrase another 5 times:

"don't hit the mailbox mommy"
"I won't hit the mailbox Rae Rae, thank you"
"don't hit the mailbox mommy"
"I didn't hit it, we passed it already."
"DON'T HIT THE MAILBOX!"
"Rae Rae, don't shout, I did not hit the mail box, please stop saying the same thing over and over."
"Mommy, don't hit the mailbox."
"I didn't. Mommy didn't hit the mailbox, please be quiet now."
"Ok, thank you mommy not hit the mailbox."

This happens, in various forms multiple times a day. It is SO annoying! Any ideas on getting it to stop?

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Lol 'thank you mommy not hit the mailbox' Crazy kid

My 7yr old repeats things too. She is a very bright child, talked ridiculously early, and inheritied her grandmothers gift of gab lol If she has a question or telling a story(with every.single.detail. she can think of-thank you mil lol) and gets cut off for some reason, she will restart the entire conversation and if she is cut off a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time she will again, start completely over...I have no idea how many times over the years I have said 'I know that part/you said that already'. Its one of the reasons I try really hard to be very attentive and not let her be interupted but when she's working on her 3rd 15min non stop story of the morning her sister or dh will need/want something...and this pregnancy has made it really hard to focus on more then 1 thing at a time so doing tasks that must be done *and* listening to her stories dont always mix so if I have to ask her to repeat a word or sentence she will repeat....everything...from the beginning.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did Mommy hit the mailbox recently? : giggle:
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please stop repeating things!

My 11 year old does it but he is ASD. He will repeat the same phrase many many times especially if he thinks it is funny. Usually it is a line from a TV show that he just heard. Then if no one responds he will say it again with a giggle and sometimes add "get it, get it". My 6 year old usually only does it when being argumentative. He can carry on an argument when no one else is talking. "You can't make me do that, I'm not going to do it." "Did you hear me mommy? I'm not going to do it" "I said I wasn't going to do that." It can go on for a very long time if you don't remove him from the room. Other wise he doesn't usually repeat himself just chatters non-stop about nothing in general. My oldest also sings. He will sing almost anything he has ever heard.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
My 11 year old does it but he is ASD. He will repeat the same phrase many many times especially if he thinks it is funny. Usually it is a line from a TV show that he just heard. Then if no one responds he will say it again with a giggle and sometimes add "get it, get it".
Dd1 does that too. And if you laugh the first time she'll say it over and over and over and over. But if you dont think it's funny even after she adds the 'get it mama? Get it?' then she says 'you hate me. you think Im stupid! why do you hate me?' multiple times while crying and stomping up to her room.

Oh and she dwells on things. For example yesterday she heard a kid say 'hell no'. She just left the area he was and talked about it at dinner. We told her she did the right thing by leaving the area since she didnt want to hear that language. Over the course of dinner I dont know how many times she said (that kid was so wrong' ' why did he have to say that? No one likes listening to that' 'next time Im going to say not to talk like that around me before I leave'. We talked about several different topics while eating but as soon as no one was talking she went right back to her story saying the exact same things.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Depends on my moo but I just say "yep" in a boring voice or ignore if I don't feel like having a ten minute convo about it. My son is 3 1/2 and does he same thing. He is also speech delayed but I think all kids do it

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 6 year old does that. She asks a question that she knows the answer to over and over and has things that she asks all the time and she ask them multiple times in a row. She is not speech delayed. My ds who has articulation issues does not do that.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
Did Mommy hit the mailbox recently? : giggle:
No, but the 16 yr old did Lovely giant scratch down the side of DH's car lol
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I opened this because my 3 year old tends to repeat herself throughout the day, so I felt like I could relate. But OP, that is much worse
Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
My 4yo daughter is the opposite of delayed but she will talk my ear off and if I don't respond right away will just keep repeating the phrase or declaration or whatever it is. It's really annoying so I try to just keep saying something (anything) so she won't get stuck in a loop.