Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #11
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

This makes me nervous. My dd isnt vaxed (yet?) Because im afraid to (also afraid not to!) And because of her neurological disorder. This summer at my bffs daughters bday party her nephew was there but hadnt yet tested positive for pertussus. He just had a bad cough for like 3 weeks. We live in wi, we cough all winter long lol. His case was mild but her SIL had a newborn there and we were all holding our breath until the incubation period was over. No one got sick.

But the whole whooping cough vaccine doesnt make sense to me, its not virus so how can our bodies be immune after exposure? Plus its one of the least effective, maybe this is why?

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #12
aimeeturd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Vaxed people are more likely to spread pertussis due to the fact that they have less severe symptoms and do not realize its what they have.
aimeeturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #13
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I dont avoid non vaxers with the girls or while pg(we are all vaxed so we should be fine)I do have a winter baby coming though I plan on doing my regular handwashing, keeping baby close, not allowing everyone and their mama hold/touch him, ect. So I figure the vaxers-who can spread germs too-as well as nonvaxers wont be an issue.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you believe in vaxing, but have friends who don't...

During the pertussis season, I would definitely avoid people who aren't vaxed with a new baby. Sad that you even have to think about that, but you have to do what you have to do to protect your kid.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #15
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
During the pertussis season, I would definitely avoid people who aren't vaxed with a new baby. Sad that you even have to think about that, but you have to do what you have to do to protect your kid.
This. And if there are local cases of vaccine preventable illnesses, I would limit interaction.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #16
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma
I don't vax, but I also don't have my kids walking around with measles, pertussis, polio, diptheria, etc, so they would be of no risk to your new baby or you. I find that to be true of everyone I know who does not vax.
The days when these diseases would kill whole communities are gone, but even then, some people were carriers but never actually got sick. Also It is possible to transmit many diseases before you start showing symptoms.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
Agreed. My parents are coming to visit when the baby is born, and I am going to request that my mom make sure she is UTD on her TDaP. I don't think my dad can get the vax because of his chemo and cancer, but if everyone around him is UTD, then we will go with it. I also want them to have their flu vax (once again, my dad excepting, but I'm good with true medical exceptions )

In general, though, I don't worry about it.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #18
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I must be the oddball, I have never asked my friends if their kids are vaccinated. DS is exposed to kids in a lot of places, so I doubt I would stay away from friends kids even if I knew they were un vac'd simply because we are around lots of kids that I have no clue their history.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeturd View Post
Vaxed people are more likely to spread pertussis due to the fact that they have less severe symptoms and do not realize its what they have.
Since I do not vaccinate I won't say anything else
Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I must be the oddball, I have never asked my friends if their kids are vaccinated. DS is exposed to kids in a lot of places, so I doubt I would stay away from friends kids even if I knew they were un vac'd simply because we are around lots of kids that I have no clue their history.
I've never asked, either. It's been my experience that people who fully vax just don't say anything about it, but I have run in to a lot of people who are anti-vax who are extremely vocal about it from the second they meet you. I'm sure that I have met anti vax families that have not have said anything, and therefore I wouldn't know. But I have run in to quite a few parents who were all "Hi, I'm Mary, and I don't vaccinate my kids!"