Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

Why would I? Their kids aren't sick. It's not like they're walking carriers for VPDs. I would be more cautious if someone in the family was sick. But as long as they're healthy, they aren't going to infect me or my newborn just because they're unhealthy. And honestly, when I'm baby brained like I am during that time, I would much rather have the company of my crunchier friends who get the rest of my thought processes at the time.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you believe in vaxing, but have friends who don't...

I don't ask people if they vax or not but I do avoid sick people around my young babies vaxed or not. I have a newbie and a 6 and 2 year old and I think his siblings are more of a risk to him than non-vaxers. We selectively vax and try to focus on hand washing and eating well to boost immunity during the winter months. If I'm out of the house then the baby is pretty much always wrapped on me so no one can touch their hands etc.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #23
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't care if I hang out with people who aren't vax'd. I and my children are fully vax'd so them not being vax'd won't affect us.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #24
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees
I've never asked, either. It's been my experience that people who fully vax just don't say anything about it, but I have run in to a lot of people who are anti-vax who are extremely vocal about it from the second they meet you. I'm sure that I have met anti vax families that have not have said anything, and therefore I wouldn't know. But I have run in to quite a few parents who were all "Hi, I'm Mary, and I don't vaccinate my kids!"
Omg who says that?!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Clearly that's not verbatim, but I can't be the only one this happens to? For instance, I was at a party recently and there was a mom there with a baby in cloth diapers, so I say hello to chat about diapers, and she just starts yapping non-stop about the evils of doctors, pediatricians, vaccinations, all about her sparkly 50 hour homebirths, and what a plague autism is. Not to change the topic, but I can't tell you how many people who, upon new acquaintance, tell me their dogs have autism. Obviously that's before they find out about my son. I usually just keep my mouth shut because things get awkward. But what's up with all these autistic dogs, and why do people feel the need to tell me about it? Especially since they are usually making fun of autistic kids. I don't get it. But yeah, I have a hard time initiating conversations with moms when I see them out babywearing or using cloth because they start the anti-western medicine vomit all over me, and if they later find out about dh's job they feel really embarrassed and there goes any friendship.

I can't be the only one here? Do I just have one of those faces that says "tell me all your secrets in the first 5 mins I know you"? I even had a mom once tell me that when her then preschool age child was a baby she used to get so mad she'd just shake him. Who tells a stranger that?!? I happened to know her Pediatrician, so I tattled, but how could I let that go? And why was she telling me?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #26
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
^ this made me giggle how would someone know their dog was autistic?!?! I've never heard of that. I am a total crazy magnet- they gravitate to me!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #27
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I've been in the dog world a long time, and spend significant time around dog people and dog forums...and I have never, ever, heard anyone say their dog was autistic. That's really, REALLY, weird!
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #28
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

They usually know because of some stereotype of what people with autism are like. Maybe they have a dog who is a little slow to warm up with strangers, but they decide its funny to talk about how they have autism, and usually insert a few offensive jokes about autism in there. I just nod politely and move on. They don't mean to offend me, so I don't allow it to. Then again, maybe it's a Texas thing, because I have heard it tons since we moved here, but not before. Everybody and their aunt has a dog with autism down here. Must be the heat.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Ah, see, in my circles, dog people know that if their dog is "slow to warm up" to people, it's either undersocialized or has genetically weak nerves (or both). They wouldn't say it's autistic.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #30
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees
They usually know because of some stereotype of what people with autism are like. Maybe they have a dog who is a little slow to warm up with strangers, but they decide its funny to talk about how they have autism, and usually insert a few offensive jokes about autism in there. I just nod politely and move on. They don't mean to offend me, so I don't allow it to. Then again, maybe it's a Texas thing, because I have heard it tons since we moved here, but not before. Everybody and their aunt has a dog with autism down here. Must be the heat.
Wow. Thats just weird. What a bunch of weirdos. It must be so tough having an autistic dog....(insert eyerolling smiley here)

For the OP, we used to vax and never asked people if they did or didnt and didnt avoid anyone unless they were sick. (Vaxed or not)

We dont vax now and still dont ask people what they do. But I also dont take newborns out and about during the winter months unless it is necessary (doc, illness etc)
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote