Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Else Keep Their Kids Off Dairy? Gluten? Food Dyes? Processed Foods? Etc?

I think eliminating dyes and such can help tremendously, but I'm not convinced that eliminating dairy or gluten is a good idea when you don't HAVE to do it.

I would probably have started with the dyes/processed food and then moved to the other things. It's just impossible to tell which of your changes is actually making the difference when there wasn't a control.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone Else Keep Their Kids Off Dairy? Gluten? Food Dyes? Processed Foods? Etc?

I follow that diet b/c I am a vegan although I eat gluten. dd will have the same healthy vegan diet. veggies are best raw but I bake or sautee mine with loads of olive oil and too much sugar. I know I'm missing out on the health benefits but my recipes are just too yummy. good for you ditching the dairy- it really is such a poison.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
ColbyCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: naperica
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are vegan, but do eat gluten products. We are dye free and limit processed sugar. I make a lot from scratch. My 5 yo son is still VERY spirited though, but I throw it to the wind....he is a boy and a lovely one at that.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
You supply snacks for everyone regularly or do you mean just for parties etc? We just send our own kids' food unless it's a special event.

As for the OP question - we don't limit dairy or wheat but we've always done the other things. Not for any reason, it's just the way people around us eat and the way we grew up. On the occasions where there is a lot of junky food being eaten - parties etc... I don't really noticed a difference in myself or the kids. I just eat real foods because processed stuff tastes bad.
well someone in another thread said that the parents take turns supplying a snack for the entire class. im guessing the only thing that really could be done is the child would have to be exempt from that and just being their own every day
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

The only one I'm a stickler about is high fructose corn syrup. Noticed a major difference with our oldest and the one time my mom gave my youngest somethig with t he was off the walls. I let it slide occasionally for treat if we're out and everyone else is having it, but generally that's our no no. And of course we already were doing as much organic and whole foods as possible before kids so that's not a huge difference.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't speak for my husband because he doesn't eat as well as I do, but My daughter and I eat mostly organic, balanced grains usually soaked or sprouted, no food dyes, nothing processed, no GMOs and I make almost all of our food at home. We also drink raw milk. So we're not grain-free or dairy free, but our diet is mostly unprocessed and nothing artificial. My daughter is quite well-behaved for her age, I think. I've never fed her anything differently, though, so I can't compare her behavior. I will say that she is generally easier to be around than children twice her age, though.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathplyr View Post
I follow that diet b/c I am a vegan although I eat gluten. dd will have the same healthy vegan diet. veggies are best raw but I bake or sautee mine with loads of olive oil and too much sugar. I know I'm missing out on the health benefits but my recipes are just too yummy. good for you ditching the dairy- it really is such a poison.
Conventional dairy is not good for you, but humans have been drinking milk for thousands of years. If it wasn't good for you they would have stopped long ago. Quality dairy (raw from grass-fed, healthy cows, sheep, or goats) is one of the MOST nutritious foods on the planet.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
SarahS12
Registered Users

Where can I get more info about eating like this? My husband and I are not healthy eaters and we eat out a lot for convenience. Any books or resources I can get my hands on with specifics on the diet, recipes etc?
SarahS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahS12
Where can I get more info about eating like this? My husband and I are not healthy eaters and we eat out a lot for convenience. Any books or resources I can get my hands on with specifics on the diet, recipes etc?
Sue Gregg has many wonderful resources on her website as well as a few books: http://www.suegregg.com/

She isn't dairy free but she does have gluten free alternatives to her recipes. Her way of consuming /preparing food is very good all around.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We limit dairy and gluten with our daughter. We are waiting on an appointment, and suspect that she will be diagnosed with SPD. She has already had an evaluation with the OT, who confirms that something is "off". We had allergy testing done, and she is allergic to cassein, which I hear is quite common with children who are "on the autism spectrum.
The diet has made a huge difference in decreasing melt-downs, anxiety, and the constant circles under her eyes, but we do have to watch her calorie intake very carefully. We do pea protein powder and supplement with digestive enzymes.

We find that there are lots of alternatives. There are quite a few bakeries around that specialize in gluten/dairy free breads, and a lot of the organic stores carry some neat products.

Last edited by 33andunder; 09-21-2012 at 07:25 PM.
33andunder is offline   Reply With Quote