Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #21
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Else Keep Their Kids Off Dairy? Gluten? Food Dyes? Processed Foods? Etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
well someone in another thread said that the parents take turns supplying a snack for the entire class. im guessing the only thing that really could be done is the child would have to be exempt from that and just being their own every day
For my dd who has food allergies (in her preschool, she is now in a regular school) parents were assigned a specific snack and day for that snack (school's rule to keep junk out of school). We knew what was coming into the class on what days. If it was something she couldn't eat we would send a snack. We also provided her teacher with snacks stored in the classroom in case someone went off schedule and we didn't send one. Other wise if it weren't assigned specific snacks we would send snacks for her everyday. And we weren't exempt from bringing our snack for the class when it was our day.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #22
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone Else Keep Their Kids Off Dairy? Gluten? Food Dyes? Processed Foods? Etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I think eliminating dyes and such can help tremendously, but I'm not convinced that eliminating dairy or gluten is a good idea when you don't HAVE to do it.

I would probably have started with the dyes/processed food and then moved to the other things.
I agree with this, maybe because I am ADHD and my main trigger is food dye. I would go for a more whole food approach first.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #23
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're a whole foods, organic, hfcs/food-dye free household. I'm dairy-free (mostly) for migraines, DH is low-dairy & gluten (tummy issues) but we don't restrict those for the kids. My son had a lot more exposure (grandparents) to HFCS & food-dyes than DD ever had. Definitely affected his behavior. We don't forbid these things completely, we just make better choices in our household - when the kids are out, we try not to stress.

As for books - we started with The Omnivores Dilemma and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle about 8 years ago. Last night, we had pasta with broccoli rabe - my 7 year old said it was the best dinner ever (this is a normal reaction for him).
Old 09-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #24
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahS12 View Post
Where can I get more info about eating like this? My husband and I are not healthy eaters and we eat out a lot for convenience. Any books or resources I can get my hands on with specifics on the diet, recipes etc?
www.cheeseslave.com
Weston A. Price Foundation
Real Food for Mother and Baby
Price-Pottenger Foundation
Nourishing Traditions blog
The Healthy Home Economist blog (there's lots of recipes there and a video intro to eating real/traditional foods)

Don't get overwhelmed! There is a lot of information to learn, and it will take months and years probably to implement things that you want to with your family. One of the hardest for me was finding ingredients, local food, etc. But you will probably meet some really nice people in the process! The farmer that I get my meat from at the local farmer's market gives me deals all of the time. If he finds a package that doesn't look as nice, for instance, he sells it to me at 2/3 or 1/2 the price on it. He knows that we are on a strict budget but that I won't sacrifice food quality for anything.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #25
catilina
Registered Users
seller

We are gluten-free, HFCS-free, dye-free, refined sugar-free, and artificial and natural flavors-free. We don't eat anything processed except a few things I just can't quit: organic corn tortilla chips, store-bought organic corn tortillas, occasionally brown rice pasta, and limited amounts of gf-bread, and treats (we don't eat a lot of treats, but I crave chocolate something fierce, so we sometimes have good quality dark chocolate or good local ice cream). We also eat mostly organic, non-GMO, and we eat only pastured meats and poultry and eggs. We drink raw grassfed milk but can't afford only raw cheese so we just buy good local cheese and good local cultured cottage cheese and plain full-fat yogurt.

We started the process of eating healthier several years ago and have slowly transitioned to where we are now. We were eating soaked/sprouted whole wheat until about 3 months ago, when we gave up gluten because of health problems. We tried to reintroduce and it didn't go well, so for us, not eating gluten has been beneficial, but if we could, we definitely would still eat it.

My son has some ADHD behaviors (he has been diagnosed with ADHD but I am not so sure about it) and is definitely intense and high needs and energetic and emotional and just MORE. We cut out the artificial colors and flavors and HFCS to help with that originally. Honestly I thought there would be a much more sudden and noticeable difference, but there wasn't. Now that we are where we are, I can look back and see that he has mellowed a lot (still has a lot of highly emotional outbursts, but has improved). I am feeling that there might be more going on with him so we are going to try GAPS diet to heal his gut (and mine, too), and then try to reintroduce foods to see what difference, if any, they make in his physical and mental health.

I think if you suspect an underlying issue, making dietary changes is a great first step. Do your kids have a sensory processing disorder, ADHD, or a spectrum disorder? These things can often be greatly improved with a gluten-free, casein-free diet.

As for public school, my son just started kindergarten, and so far it hasn't been too much of an issue. The parents provide snacks for the whole class (each family contributes snacks to the classroom and all the kids get the same snack each day), but I just send a snack for my son every day. Even if we weren't gluten-free I would be providing his snacks, as I don't want him eating processed snacks... We did this last year with preschool, too, so I'm used to it by now. My son is great at advocating for himself and will not eat anything he knows he can't have, even if he is offered (for instance they did a counting activity with M&Ms the other day and he just said he doesn't eat artificial colors and that was that). His teachers have been good at working with me, as well, and always ask before they do an activity that involves food. If I know ahead of time I can provide an acceptable alternative, but if not, he just does the activity but doesn't eat it, and he knows when he gets home he can have a small acceptable snack/treat.

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #26
Mercy24
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS is only 9 months old but so far I've kept him mostly gluten and dairy (I'm pretty sure he's lactose intolerant like me) free, and he's never had artificial dyes or flavors. He also eats almost completely organic and rarely has meat. I'm trying to slowly turn DH and I toward a similar diet.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #27
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I try my best to stick with lots of fruits and veggies. Very limited on dyes, corn syrups, dairy, meat, fish, etc... I've watched a couple documentaries on the subject. One, Food that Kills by Dr. Michael Kreger(last name I think) on youtube. Our bodies have not evolved to be omnivores, the way our teeth and digestive system are made and are today are not accepting of meat. It also contains to much protein which causes calcium defeciences(sp?). As for dairy, I don't think we "need' it and its extremely fattening. No processed, canned, dyed foods. There just icky. I've began to make things from scratch, my next feat is pasta. Now, with all that said, I have a horrible time keeping my husband happy. Which reflects on DS. I could use more Yummy vegetarian recipes. It's really a mind game feeling that somethings missing when you omit meat. My husband has a hard time. He likes milk to and won't go for soy or almond. It's really a big life change and we have some days we don't do well but overall if noticed a big difference in my energy level and the kids seem more productive and focused. Instead of snacks like(crackers, pretzels, gummy snacks, etc) we eat fruit, nuts, and veggies throughout the day. I've also noticed us being more full, the kids dont say theyre hungry every hour, lol!
Any links for veggies meals would be great!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by mommycass; 09-23-2012 at 11:15 AM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #29
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We eat a pretty healthy whole foods diet...mostly. And the girls can't tolerate gluten. I did notice a HUGE change in attitude when we made the switch to GF for my older DD. It helped in a TON of areas--sleep habits, immune system, attitude, umm...bathroom issues... just all over the board, really. She was having issues before that (caused by gluten!) so that is going to be different than what you would see in a typical toddler.

Maybe I should add that I've thought about going further than this because I really think a lot of issues that are seen today are caused by GMOs. We raise a garden (GMO free seeds), and drink raw milk and that kind of thing and try not to eat too much processed foods, but I am curious about what our life would be like if we went totally GMO free. But I love the convience of the GMO stuff. And I'm cheap.

Last edited by jen_batten; 09-23-2012 at 09:19 PM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #30
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I think eliminating dyes and such can help tremendously, but I'm not convinced that eliminating dairy or gluten is a good idea when you don't HAVE to do it.

I would probably have started with the dyes/processed food and then moved to the other things. It's just impossible to tell which of your changes is actually making the difference when there wasn't a control.
ITA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh31 View Post
We're a whole foods, organic, hfcs/food-dye free household. I'm dairy-free (mostly) for migraines, DH is low-dairy & gluten (tummy issues) but we don't restrict those for the kids. My son had a lot more exposure (grandparents) to HFCS & food-dyes than DD ever had. Definitely affected his behavior. We don't forbid these things completely, we just make better choices in our household - when the kids are out, we try not to stress.

As for books - we started with The Omnivores Dilemma and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle about 8 years ago. Last night, we had pasta with broccoli rabe - my 7 year old said it was the best dinner ever (this is a normal reaction for him).
We try to eat a whole food diet (organic when needed) at home. I was dairy free for several months due to my nurslings intolerance, but have been able to add small amounts back in, though I've given up milk completely. We completely avoid dyes, HFCS, MSG and try to avoid as much processed/packaged food as we can. We've attempted to go gluten free, but honestly don't consume that much anyway and don't seem to have any negative responses so I'm letting it go.

DS1 started school this year and we have to pay for meals whether he eats them or not. It's been hard, but I've had to just come to grips that it's not going to kill him to eat a nutritiously sub-par meal 4 days a week.

I have been really interested in all the new GMO research that is being publicized recently. It's really scary what they're claiming long-term GMO consumption can do.