Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

What are your kids working on in public kindergarten?

We are homeschooling our 5 year old, and I am worried about him falling behind. Would you mind sharing what your kindergarten aged children are working on in school right now?

Advertisement

theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Oh gosh, this time last year in kindergarten my daughter had started working in the alphabet (letters and sounds) and I recall they were doing a lot of apple activities. They had music class and gym class and did a ton of crafts. It wasn't very academically challenging at this point :-)
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are your kids working on in public kindergarten?

She has 50 sight words she is learning, addition, subtraction, they just finished a sea life section, they learn to count to 100, and beginning skip counting. And obviously writing.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
She has 50 sight words she is learning, addition, subtraction, they just finished a sea life section, they learn to count to 100, and beginning skip counting. And obviously writing.

The two twin daycare girls I have here are doing about the same thing. Yesterday they brought home a page that had 50 squares on it, some had a number, some didn't. The homework was to fill in the blank boxes with the next number that was missing.

They are also reading the little books that come home, "Pat sat on a mat" "Pat is sad" "Pat is mad" (those make my brain hurt)

They also have ten spelling words (easy site words) and five phonograms which they are having trouble with. The phonograms are unfair this year because the teacher will say "U" as in Boot" and the kids have to remember it's OO instead of U. Then she'll say "U as in do", they have to know it's O instead of U, or "U as in cute".
Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Writing his name, letters and sounds, numbers up to 100, the calendar, days of the week, months, and life cycle of a monarch butterfly.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here - technically they were supposed to be able to count to 20 and know all letters (upper and lower) and their sounds before starting K. But many do not. So they've started the year getting everyone up to speed. They've made it all the way throu the alphabet for writing and recognizing the letters. I think they are 2/3 of the way for letter sounds (might be a bit further but I know they aren't quie done). They've done about 15 sight words (they introduce 3 a week). They've really focused on counting and number recognition through 10 but have worked a bit further. But going to 10 is expected by now on all their math pages. This week they've been learning about apples and they make applesauce tomorrow.

That is all I can think of right now. School started mid August for us.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
In math they are currently talking about perspective (under, behind, across), 3d shapes and how they relate to 2d shapes and a touch of addition.

In language, they are talking about order (beginning, middle, end) and some context.

They are also to know how to tie shoelaces, their phone number, cutting, pasting, matching, sequencing and how to quiet down when asked. Seems like lots of stuff.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Rina Roo
Registered Users

Most of the above mentioned things. They are still tracing their names as hinge work though. He has known how to write his name for a year already.
Rina Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the beginning of the year last year dd's class was working on learning 35 phonograms and they were still only writing letters. In math the were still working on number recognition, counting and patterns and pretty simple stuff. They don't do sight words at her school. They start by teaching them to spell simple words but I don't believe they were up to spelling words before October. It was very simple in the beginning of the year.

By mid year they were doing spelling, addition and subtraction, writing sentences and doing copywork. They could could count to 100 and skip county by 2, 5 and 10s. Many students were working on or had learned all 70 phonograms. They all were reading books in class and brought a book bag home with a book at their level. In math they were working on telling time and writing and counting a large number of objects.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 09-26-2013 at 12:29 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Thanks for all the replies! It's been very helpful!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote