Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #91
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Non-circ'ing mamas - question

My DS is 3 and no real issues. It got a little red once, but put some rash cream on it and it cleared up.

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #92
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo View Post
2 years old, no probs other than an ignorant ped. His paternal grandfather had no issues in his 60+ years.

Seriously, the only problems you are likely to run into are with under-educated health care professionals. Even newly trained ones. Our former ped moved it just to look at the urethra and I flipped out. We argued. I sent him information on true average age of retraction, the subject of our argument. He then kicked us out of his practice.

No one ever died from a foreskin, but circumcision can be deadly. ALL surgery carries the risk of death. This was enough to convince me.
My nephew was 11 when he retracted - my friend's hubby never did, and it didn't stop him from fathering 4 kids, no big deal!

Mine are 6 and 3, oldest was red and "itchy" once when his was separating, gone by the next night. I didn't know he was separating until he popped it out to show me that it was "all better". The opening wasn't large enough to "retract" but it separated from the glans. That was 3 years ago, we still don't tell him to clean it, he will do that when he gets older - it's self-cleaning. My brother is 34 and no issues - says he owes his every happiness in life to the doctor who told my parents, "circumcision is extremely painful and completely unnecessary" - he really loves his foreskin :-)

My MIL was worried that my oldest would break his off, he used to stretch it out so far. My youngest couldn't care less that he even has a penis - it's just "there".
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #93
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

My DS is 1 and he's never had an issue.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #94
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No issues here and our boys are 7yo, and 2yo
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #95
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS no issues in 21 months other than occasional redness at tip (don't even know if this is specific to intact babies or is general to cloth diapers or all male babies?), resolved with diaper free time and/or some baking soda in the bathwater.

DH one issue in 31 years when we finally had intercourse after several months of abstention, had a slight split in the top layer of foreskin from stretching which burned (like a scratch) for several days until healed. Learned from doctor it could have been prevented by regularly pulling back foreskin in shower to maintain elasticity as well as cleaning. Very few adult males will go several months without stretching their foreskin. No medication or intervention required, healed on it's own like any dry skin.

Last edited by My_Tree_Grows; 12-07-2012 at 10:29 PM.
My_Tree_Grows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #96
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son is only 2 months but zero problems so far. My European friend said she never heard of issues with intact penises until she came to America. I think knowing how to care for it (basically, leaving it alone when they're little) has a lot to do with it.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #97
Mama_K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No issues with my 16 month old
Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #98
LeslieT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 17 y.o. and my 5 y.o. each had 1 UTI in infancy....as did my 20 y.o., who was circed, and 1 UTI is far fewer than my daughter has had. Or me. Or my cat.

Last edited by LeslieT; 12-08-2012 at 08:25 PM.
LeslieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #99
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ds 2 and 3 no issues except ds2 had a large smegma pearl (I think that is what it is). Anyway took him to an unfamiliar doc because we were out of town and moving at the time. She retracted and started squeezing the pearl. I nearly passed out. Like I literally had to lie down for about 10 min. It all happened so fast I didn't even get a word out to that doc. Makes me sick to this day. Other than that no issues. No utis.

My oldest is circd he had meatal stenosis at age 4.
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #100
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son is almost 3 (35 months) and has never had a problem. It looks red occasionally, but always clears up on its own within a day.

My father and my brothers are intact with no serious problems as far as I know. My father believes in keeping boys intact, so I assume that means he's had no problems (even though his mother told me that she had to get her boys "stretched" at birth so that they could be retracted because she had decided not to cut them, but then she "couldn't be bothered with cleaning under there most of the time"). My younger brother overheard me talking with my mother about circumcision after DS was born (she couldn't believe it was still done "in this day and age"), and it was--apparently--the first time my brother (age 23) realized why there was a difference between males in the locker room. Mom asked him at that point whether he ever had a problem with it, and he said that there was some pain during separation, but it's okay now. I suspect that some growing pains are normal, just like when a girl's breasts first come in, they are tender.