View Poll Results: Did your kids go "Back to Sleep"?
Yes, my kids always slept on their backs. 19 22.89%
My kids slept on their sides. 6 7.23%
Tummy sleepers, here! 14 16.87%
They slept in the position they were happiest (back, side, or tummy) 44 53.01%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
newmommy13's Avatar
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,750
The nicu nurses when dd was in said tummy sleeping is best for kiddos with reflux and that was confirmed again by dfs pedi. She actually said a lot of kids do that naturally because it feels better.

Advertisement

__________________
I, mama to dd A (3-08) dfs J (10/11) and in love with newbie dfd N! (10/13)
hopeful pre-adoptive foster family
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
crazyeyesmcgee's Avatar
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,028
My Mood:
I let DD tummy sleep from day one. She just sleeps better. Granted, she's in a cosleeper in our room, so I was always right there during the early weeks.
__________________
Wife to my sweet DH, SAHM to my princesses DD1 (4) and DD2 (1)
crazyeyesmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
NiNi's Avatar
NiNi
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,163
Wherever they ended in bed with me cosleeping is where they stayed. lol. Mama wasn't moving them.

They usually ended up on their sides nursing all night haha

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: Back to sleep, or not?

All my babies slept on tummies since newborn. I never worried, not even a little bit.

SIDS is a very mysterious disease and no one can really say what causes it. There are a LOT of other risks factors to consider besides just sleep positioning.

Did your baby have resp issues after birth? Was your baby premature? Does your family have a history of asthma or other resp issues? Does anyone in your household smoke? Is your baby sleeping in your bed with you? Is your baby sleeping with soft bedding? Are you breast or bottle feeding? Is your baby a twin or multiple? Are you a teen mom? Is your child male?

If you answer no to all of these questions, your SIDS risk is really low.

SIDS is a lot more complex than just back or tummy sleeping. Unfortunately, SIDS is still really misunderstood. A lot of deaths are MIS-labeled as SIDS. We don't know what actually causes SIDS. So there are a lot of studies showing correlation, but none of them show CAUSATION. A death caused by a baby suffocating is unfortunate, but it is NOT SIDS. It's a suffocation death, not unexplained.

Here are some links about SIDS:

http://www.cjsids.org/resource-cente...tatistics.html

http://www.sidscenter.org/Statistics.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sud...ndrome/DS00145


I personally feel that in a family with no previous history of serious health issues, no asthma or breathing problems, no substance abuse, no smoking, in a healthy infant, born at term with a normal birth weight, SIDS is not really something to worry too much about.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
amb2j's Avatar
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,830
My Mood:
Re: Back to sleep, or not?

however hes happiest. He slept on his back the first few weeks, but its been tummy ever since :-)
__________________
April-Wife to hopeless romantic nuclear submariner DH WOHM to my rambunctious snuggler DS (08/10) who was born SMILING. and DD (2/13) my hero
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,985
Re: Back to sleep, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
All my babies slept on tummies since newborn. I never worried, not even a little bit.

SIDS is a very mysterious disease and no one can really say what causes it. There are a LOT of other risks factors to consider besides just sleep positioning.

Did your baby have resp issues after birth? Was your baby premature? Does your family have a history of asthma or other resp issues? Does anyone in your household smoke? Is your baby sleeping in your bed with you? Is your baby sleeping with soft bedding? Are you breast or bottle feeding? Is your baby a twin or multiple? Are you a teen mom? Is your child male?

If you answer no to all of these questions, your SIDS risk is really low.

SIDS is a lot more complex than just back or tummy sleeping. Unfortunately, SIDS is still really misunderstood. A lot of deaths are MIS-labeled as SIDS. We don't know what actually causes SIDS. So there are a lot of studies showing correlation, but none of them show CAUSATION. A death caused by a baby suffocating is unfortunate, but it is NOT SIDS. It's a suffocation death, not unexplained.

Here are some links about SIDS:

http://www.cjsids.org/resource-cente...tatistics.html

http://www.sidscenter.org/Statistics.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sud...ndrome/DS00145


I personally feel that in a family with no previous history of serious health issues, no asthma or breathing problems, no substance abuse, no smoking, in a healthy infant, born at term with a normal birth weight, SIDS is not really something to worry too much about.
Thanks for all the info. I agree, SIDS is still very mysterious. There are other risk factors, like it's more likely to happen sleeping in a new place than a familiar one. I just know that at the time 'back to sleep' was started, deaths labeled as SIDS were an issue, and that was the simplest, most effective way to reduce the rate of deaths labeled as SIDS. I do know of 2 people personally with no risk factors who have had infants die of SIDS while tummy sleeping. So even though the chance is small, I personally feel I can't take it. But obviously lots of families choose to.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
GEM Cloth's Avatar
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,667
My Mood:
Re: Back to sleep, or not?

We've always listened to our kids and let them sleep how they need to sleep. Everyone was allowed to sleep how they slept best. My son was most definitely a tummy sleeper. I do not listen to doctors or books, I try to listen to my children and myself. The doctors are not at my house at 3 a.m. The only people I listen to are the ones who are at my house at that time.
__________________
Michelle, mom to DD (7/9/99), DD (11/12/01), and DS (4/17/07); wife to DH (8/31/96)
GEM (Green and Economical by Michelle) Cloth
~*~REUSABLE CLOTH PAD SETS~*~ NOW SHIPPING OUTSIDE U.S.~*~
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
clothdiapercrunchy's Avatar
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 877
My Mood:
Re: Back to sleep, or not?

My oldest DD was a belly sleeper. We tried back, she had reflux and tummy issues and after 2 episodes of nearly choking on spit up on her back I said to HELL with it. Me and my brother slept on our bellies, so didnt all my gramma's kids. She was happier that way and she learned to roll REALLY early anyways. She is now 5 and perfectly healthy. Anna coslept on her side cuddled up against me or on her back.
__________________
Victoria, A.P.ing LPN, Mostly SAHM, Doula, and Wife to my prince charming Shawn, Mommy to Abrielle 07 and Annalise 09, and Luci 13 Lactavist JUST KEEP
clothdiapercrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
Holly dolly's Avatar
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,007
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth
We've always listened to our kids and let them sleep how they need to sleep. Everyone was allowed to sleep how they slept best. My son was most definitely a tummy sleeper. I do not listen to doctors or books, I try to listen to my children and myself. The doctors are not at my house at 3 a.m. The only people I listen to are the ones who are at my house at that time.
This. One of my best friends lost her daughter to SIDS. She was sleeping on her back when it happened. There's no guarantee with anything.
__________________

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly

This. One of my best friends lost her daughter to SIDS. She was sleeping on her back when it happened. There's no guarantee with anything.
No. But it reduces a risk.

Not all babies are at risk for SIDS. They are working towards finding out how to test, at birth, to find out which ones are. Because its not just a list of factors or something you see. SO until then, all babies are treated as a high risk. To reduce some of that risk, you lay them on their backs. Since the back to sleep campaign started, SIDS deaths have decreased, 50%.

I have 2 SIDS deaths close to me. Both on their stomachs. 1 SIDS death of a friend of a friends child. Tummy sleeper as well.

But none of that really matters, since you can not say 'this child slept on their tummy, and they lived. So yours will too.' you are NOT comparing apples to apples until we can properly rate a babies risk, at birth.


Does that make sense?

I think all moms should use their best judgement and what feels comfortable to them. But personally, I could not live, if my child died from SIDS and I had put them on their tummy. My aunt in law helps run a SIDS foundation and my best friend goes to a parents grief support group EVERY week. I watch their agony. And that one factor really tears them apart. If you want to speak with a mother, who actually lost a tummy sleeping baby, I'd be happy to pass their number. I assure you, they will say to never ever ever risk it.
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.