View Poll Results: Did your kids go "Back to Sleep"?
Yes, my kids always slept on their backs. 19 22.89%
My kids slept on their sides. 6 7.23%
Tummy sleepers, here! 14 16.87%
They slept in the position they were happiest (back, side, or tummy) 44 53.01%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Back to sleep, or not?

My ds was a side sleeper, then when he could roll over at 6 weeks it didn't matter what I did, he always went to tummy. So tummy it was!

Advertisement

misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

No. But it reduces a risk.

Not all babies are at risk for SIDS. They are working towards finding out how to test, at birth, to find out which ones are. Because its not just a list of factors or something you see. SO until then, all babies are treated as a high risk. To reduce some of that risk, you lay them on their backs. Since the back to sleep campaign started, SIDS deaths have decreased, 50%.

I have 2 SIDS deaths close to me. Both on their stomachs. 1 SIDS death of a friend of a friends child. Tummy sleeper as well.

But none of that really matters, since you can not say 'this child slept on their tummy, and they lived. So yours will too.' you are NOT comparing apples to apples until we can properly rate a babies risk, at birth.

Does that make sense?

I think all moms should use their best judgement and what feels comfortable to them. But personally, I could not live, if my child died from SIDS and I had put them on their tummy. My aunt in law helps run a SIDS foundation and my best friend goes to a parents grief support group EVERY week. I watch their agony. And that one factor really tears them apart. If you want to speak with a mother, who actually lost a tummy sleeping baby, I'd be happy to pass their number. I assure you, they will say to never ever ever risk it.
Just curious, but how would you then get a baby to sleep on their back who clearly wasn't comfortable in that position and cried when laid down? My first three had no problem sleeping on their backs, but this babe is different.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
aimeeturd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Does your baby have any other symptoms of food allergies? My DS would not sleep for longer than 5 minutes and would immediately wake up if laid down, turns out he had a dairy allergy. Since giving up dairy, he now sleeps like a baby , on his back.
aimeeturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #24
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeturd
Does your baby have any other symptoms of food allergies? My DS would not sleep for longer than 5 minutes and would immediately wake up if laid down, turns out he had a dairy allergy. Since giving up dairy, he now sleeps like a baby , on his back.
What are other symptoms?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
aimeeturd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dark circles under their eyes, a red ring around their anus, a cough, congestion after nursing, and there can be blood in their stool.
aimeeturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly

This. One of my best friends lost her daughter to SIDS. She was sleeping on her back when it happened. There's no guarantee with anything.
My nephew died of SIDS while sleeping on his back also.

I put my newborns on their side propped in the boppy pillow and swaddled until about 6 weeks then they all tummy sleep. Mine hate back sleeping and wake within 5 minutes of being in their backs.

I also believe that our time here is up when it is up no matter what we are doing at that time. My faith tells me that our days are numbered and He already knows when that number is up.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Back to sleep, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
No. But it reduces a risk.

Not all babies are at risk for SIDS. They are working towards finding out how to test, at birth, to find out which ones are. Because its not just a list of factors or something you see. SO until then, all babies are treated as a high risk. To reduce some of that risk, you lay them on their backs. Since the back to sleep campaign started, SIDS deaths have decreased, 50%.

I have 2 SIDS deaths close to me. Both on their stomachs. 1 SIDS death of a friend of a friends child. Tummy sleeper as well.

But none of that really matters, since you can not say 'this child slept on their tummy, and they lived. So yours will too.' you are NOT comparing apples to apples until we can properly rate a babies risk, at birth.

Does that make sense?

I think all moms should use their best judgement and what feels comfortable to them. But personally, I could not live, if my child died from SIDS and I had put them on their tummy. My aunt in law helps run a SIDS foundation and my best friend goes to a parents grief support group EVERY week. I watch their agony. And that one factor really tears them apart. If you want to speak with a mother, who actually lost a tummy sleeping baby, I'd be happy to pass their number. I assure you, they will say to never ever ever risk it.
Excellent post and I totally agree. My kiddos sleep on their back or side. They can sleep on their tummy if they are on me or my husband.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #28
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlyjo

Just curious, but how would you then get a baby to sleep on their back who clearly wasn't comfortable in that position and cried when laid down? My first three had no problem sleeping on their backs, but this babe is different.

Eventually everyone adjusts. It takes time. And patience. It's a lighter depth of sleep for babies, and that's part of the reason the 'at risk' babies stay out of trouble (so researchers think)

I'm not saying a child is going to die from tummy sleeping. Or one that is on their back won't. It's based on risk assessment. What's that risk like to your child? You do not know. None of us do. Sadly.

I would try happiest baby on the block methods. Swaddling, ect. My child would wake Everytime he twitched. My husband and I spent so much time learning how to make him comfy, how to swaddle him (then wean him from that) ect. I don't think it's any different than anything else in parenting. A learning curve. Kwim?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I always put my babies on their backs. ...I co-sleep and when we are done nursing I still (14m) put her on her back.
I get in the habit of making things non-options. I nurse as if it's the only option, back sleeping as well.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you want to put your baby on their tummy to sleep, invest in an angel care monitor. It tells you if baby stops breathing and alarms - often startling the baby into breathing again.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote