Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Where to start?

My oldest DD is 5 and in Kindergarten. I knew i'd be unhappy with it. Needless to say I was correct. Younger DD is 3. Im having baby 3 in May. I want to start homeschooling next year. Where do I start? No one in my family homeschools nor was I homeschooled. I have a close friend who homeschools her children. DO I have to notify anyone when we stop going to school? Sorry if any of that sounds silly, I just have no idea how to even start! TIA

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where to start?

I'd start with MA law found here. Once I knew what was required by law, then I'd start doing some reading about the different hs'ing philosophies (classical, waldorf, unschooling, Charlotte Mason, etc.) and decide what resonates with your family. Also do lots of observing of your child(ren) to see what kind of learner she is, what kind of environment suits her personality, etc. When you kind of have that all in mind, then you can start looking into different curriculum that meets the criteria you've laid out.

I'm new to this--only our first year. It is definitely overwhelming, but I've found it to be very rewarding. Definitely make an effort to meet other homeschoolers in your area, see if there are programs or coops for hsers, etc. I've found that hsing parents are very welcoming and want to help you succeed. Good luck.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there Victoria!

Welcome to the homeschool forum!

Kristin gave you some excellent suggestions. I am glad she directed you to the HSLDA link for MA. This is a great place to start to get an idea of what the law requires for your state.

I am also going to suggest to keep checking out this forum in the coming weeks/months to get an idea of different concerns and suggestions that come up.

Since you have already made up your mind to homeschool next yr, you can start letting your DD know now so she can be prepared for the change. I would also suggest trying to make it to a homeschooling group event w/ your family soon. Your DD might be even more interested in homeschooling if she remembers the group of homeschooled children she met @ the museum or what have you. Sometimes going to homeschooling events is tricky for kids in school because they are during the school day but maybe you can do it on a day where DD is off from school.

Homeschooling does seem overwhelming but with time things will start to settle down and be easier.

Best wishes and feel free to ask more questions.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm still new to homeschooling. This is still my frist year. Other pepole would have better advice I'm sure, but here's my suggestion.

1. Find out your State law about homeschooling, and get done what you have to get done (notifying people who has to be notified, etc)

2. Look into your local homeschooling community and get involved

3. Start exploring about your homeschooling option (unschooling, curriculum, group lessons, online schooling, etc etc. There are lots of options). You can ask your homeschooling friends, read books/online, etc. You do not have to have this set stone, just start somewhere and jump in. You will keep learning. Start with what you already have at home if you can, until you get what you need.

4a. Start somewhere and don't worry about making mistakes. Keep records of what your children are learning.

4b. Make lesson plans. This does not have to be perfect. You could be just following a pre-made lesson plans depending on what and how you are teaching. Your very first lesson plan can be On Monday, we will go to the library, On Tuesday, we will read the book, on Wednesday, we will do cut and paste craft, etc.

5. Follow your lesson plan. Expect your lesson plans not to be followed 100%. Make new lesson plan. Have fun.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok so how do I go about getting approval from the super intendant I wonder? I read those laws. Wondering what I need to submit. Going to start looking into styles of school, right now. Im pretty excited.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Her kindergarten may have a specific math/reading curriculum. That would give you an idea if that particular style works or her.