Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Can a dog person become no-dog person?

Do you think this is possible? If you are a dog person at heart, always had dogs, can you live comfortably without a dog? Or would you always feel something is missing?

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Can a dog person become no-dog person?

We had both but lost our dog recently...it's very weird but at this point in time we just can't justify having one with lack of time and next baby due soon. But I don't know if someone can actually become no-dog person if they've had their best pal all their life. My first dog was at 17 but even then it feels a bit empty in the house without a dog.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I think it is very possible.

I was part owner of a pet food supply store before I was married. Dogs, dogs hows etc. were a big part of my life.

I haven't had a dog in 13 years. I still consider myself a dog person and I'll stop and talk to dog owners all the time. If I need a dose of doggy time I visit a friend with a dog.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I grew up with a dog and when I went out on my own the last thing I wanted was a dog. I love the idea but not everything that comes with it. My mom was a Cert.Vet Tech so all the bills were quite a bit less with discounts. I just can't dive into it anymore after watching my Sheltie suffer of bone cancer and my Collie have seizures where he would ram himself into walls and cabinets. I was a dog person and am no longer one. I even went to training classes once a week and went to dog shows for agility and obedience.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
NiNi
Registered Users

I had a small dog that I loved in high school. Loved. I am not an animal person now. Nothing happened to change me.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did this for many years and DH did too.

We are both dog people but because of life, I didn't have a dog in my house from 1995 to 2010, and DH didn't have a dog in his house from 1994 to 2010. Now with our fertility struggles and child loss it was VERY HARD not to have a dog at times. I remember days where DH would say "When can I get a dog?" Knowing full well they didn't allow dogs where we were living. I would say to him "When I get a kid and a house." Which is sort of what happened. I was rather depressed after going through cancer treatments so I told DH that I wanted a dog as a reward for completing treatment. So 2 weeks before I finished radiation we got our dog.

So yes it is possible for a person who loves dogs to not live with one. However I think when said person faces some of the bigger challenges of life, they will be reminded how much they want a dog. Therefore, if you are going to live dog free, make sure you don't have any big challenges in your life!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I couldn't. But I've always been more involved than the average person with dogs.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Therefore, if you are going to live dog free, make sure you don't have any big challenges in your life!
If only life were that simple, huh?

I am thinking we will be dog-less for a while, against my instincts. I am struggling with daily routine stuff (walks, runs, just dog "stuff") and with big picture stuff (kids and dogs, dog companionship, those challenges when a dog makes life better). DH is not a dog person, at heart, so we have sort of reached an impasse, and I won't bring another dog into the house if his heart isn't in it.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you thought about a lower maintenance dog? My dog doesn't require walks or runs or anything. He is basically a cat (without the jumping on table tops) but is a dog. He is a small dog but fairly easy to take care of. Maybe that would be a good compromise?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Have you thought about a lower maintenance dog? My dog doesn't require walks or runs or anything. He is basically a cat (without the jumping on table tops) but is a dog. He is a small dog but fairly easy to take care of. Maybe that would be a good compromise?
But, I want the walking and running. For DH, it is the ease of life without a dog. You know, all those impromptu weekend getaways... 'Cause we do a lot of that.

For DH is it really about the carefree-ness of no-dog life, as he sees it. Because he was not raised with dogs, the value is not as high for him.

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 10-12-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote