Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you consider a fever?

Depends on acting & other things besides it differs between kid to kid.

Advertisement

abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids don't get a 102 fever. They get a 104 fever. They are always high, so we just watch them and treat them when we feel necessary. We used to take them to the ER when they got high the. We realized its just their genetics. They are both like that. When it's 104 or more and they ca. Hardly function they get meds. Alternating motrin and Tylenol after a dose of both. . Always works.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the responses. I follow the same beliefs as most of you...I treat the child not the number.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, I agree with many of the other posters.
We figure they have a fever if they feel warm (and my kids always get really flushed cheeks with a fever), we do check with a thermometer
If they have a fever, they stay home from school and public activities.
We don't medicate for a fever alone, we base the need on how the kid is feeling. If they're feeling crappy with a fever, they get something for it. If they're feeling fine with one, they don't.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
busyteacher
Registered Users
seller
seller

I medicated mine last week with 101 fever. He's four months old. It was his first fever and illness. Ended up being an ear infection. I agree with what a PP said. Tylenol is about making him feel better. The antibiotics got rid of the infection.
busyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I look at the child, not the thermometer. If the thermometer says '100.7' but the kid is just miserable and wimpy and hot and feels like garbage I give tylenol. If the thermometer says 104.2 but they're acting fine, I don't give tylenol.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I look at the child, not the thermometer. If the thermometer says '100.7' but the kid is just miserable and wimpy and hot and feels like garbage I give tylenol. If the thermometer says 104.2 but they're acting fine, I don't give tylenol.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We dont even own a thermometer. We medicate if the child is miserable or has chills (shaking etc) or pain (like ear infection pain).

A fever is 100.4 or higher rectally.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS has never gotten a fever over 102. I don't medicate just for fevers, the only time I've needed to give him something was when he was getting molars and had an EI and a fever, he was pretty miserable, poor guy. I don't think the baby has had a fever yet, at least not one worth noting, but I'd tend to do the same thing - medicate if she was miserable, let it ride if she's doing OK.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I consider anything above 100 a fever but don't medicate fevers ever. They have a purpose and I let them run their course. If my child is miserable and wants to sleep all day, then I let them. I don't want to mask a fever and have their bodies think they are well and run full force. They NEED to rest.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote