Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What do you consider a fever?

A fever for us is usually anything over 100. But I don't treat it unless the kid is really bothered by it.

Just last night we brought the kids in from the car and my DH said my DS was hot. Checked him and he had a 102.7 fever. Checked my DD and she was 100.2 Not temps I usually medicate for, but they also had started complaining of their tongues/mouths hurting. Then my DS ended up covered in goose bumps. Poor kids felt miserable! It hit so fast. I gave them Tylenol so they could be comfortable and go to sleep. Poor DS still ended up crying in his sleep.

But my DS always has high fevers, where as my DD's are always lower. 104 for him is like a 101 for my DD, so I just look at how the child is feeling, not so much the number on the thermometer.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

100.5 and over depending on symptoms.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say a low grade fever is 99-100 and then anything above that a "fever".

Like everyone else though, it's how the child is acting, if they are lethargic and miserable, I am going to give them Ibuprofen whether their temp is 101 or 105. We get some really high fevers even with medication so I watch them pretty carefully to see how they are acting.

I start getting nervous when they are getting up in the 104 105 range because of the risk of febrile seizures, especially at night when I can't keep as close of an eye on their behavior.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

um.. 99 is a fever, maybe.. I dunno.

medication comes if she is miserable or can't sleep. If she can sleep it off naturally and let it break without medicine, then awesome!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
um.. 99 is a fever, maybe.. I dunno.

medication comes if she is miserable or can't sleep. If she can sleep it off naturally and let it break without medicine, then awesome!
I thought it was defined as anything over 100.4. I normally run 99.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #26
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I go by the health policy at my work place which states children must be excluded from care when their temp is 38C; I have no idea what that is in F
Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my son, I consider 99+ a fever simply because whenever I've seen it go in the 99 range, it continues going up from there. So if he's a bit warm and out of sorts, and I take his temp and if it is 99 or above, I know to expect something is coming.

I medicate depending on how he is feeling and what my gut tells me. I leave it alone if it isn't too bad, but if it gets above 101 then I'm likely to reach for some medicine (especially since my guy tends to be super fussy and uncomfortable at this point). I try to wait to see if the fever levels off first, though.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #28
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
I thought it was defined as anything over 100.4. I normally run 99.
And I run under 98 unless it's right after ovluation. Makes it hard for me to explain to the doctors that I have a real fever when it's not even 99.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

On the topic of fevers, just a little thought from an ER nurse. If you bring you lo to the ER for fever, please actually have used a thermometer not just "he felt warm", and if they do have a fever making them uncomfortable enough to warrant a trip to the ER, treat the fever prior to coming in. We will believe you. Nothing is more frustrating than a lo with a temp who's miserable but hadn't been medicated because "we wanted you to see how high it was". The unconfirmed fever that ends up not being a fever can just result in a frustrated parent and child who probably won't be deemed emergent and may end up waiting to see a doctor.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #30
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I consider anything over 99 a fever for purposes of staying home from activities and letting other moms know my child is "sick" if they are coming over. If anyone in our family hits 99, they are fighting something even if they aren't super sick.

I don't treat till around 102.5. I'll treat earlier if they are miserable, but usually, I don't need to till then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
And I run under 98 unless it's right after ovluation. Makes it hard for me to explain to the doctors that I have a real fever when it's not even 99.
This is exactly me and all 5 of my kids. Our temps tend to run in the mid-high 97's. So, if they are above 99, they are definitely fighting something even if it isn't serious. The fever doesn't bother my kids till it's well over 100, but I start to feel as soon as it gets in the high 98's. I agree, it's a pain both for me and my kids.