Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #51
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now
Was a spinal tap done to determine bacterial meningitis? I will give Antibiotics to my kids no question if they have a bacterial infection. But for a viral infection I just let the fever do its job which is to make the body inhospitable to the virus. My kids just sleep and lay around when they run a fever which is what they need to do. Why would I mask that so they can run around like they they are fine when the fact is they are sick and their body is trying to fight off something. You don't have to respect my decision but that is what we do an I do have medical training and am very comfortable with that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
A spinal wasn't done. A CBC was done first. He had elevated white blood cell, low platelets and petechiae on his chest and on his trunk. A blood culture was done to wait for Bacteria to grow to test. The Afterhours Dr gave him Rocephen. He went 24 hours with no fluids or food. We had a follow up that next morning. Fever still the same 103.7. Still petechiae which still pointed to Meningitis, the Drs thought. He had a second dose of Rocephen. He still wasn't eating or drinking. We followed up the next morning, again. He was slowly sipping drinks. The 3rd day, we followed up again with the Dr. We found several blisters in his mouth. The 5th day, blood culture was clean on bacterial meningitis. No idea what he had.
But I surely wasn't gonna watch him suffer and not eat or drink.

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #52
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921

A spinal wasn't done. A CBC was done first. He had elevated white blood cell, low platelets and petechiae on his chest and on his trunk. A blood culture was done to wait for Bacteria to grow to test. The Afterhours Dr gave him Rocephen. He went 24 hours with no fluids or food. We had a follow up that next morning. Fever still the same 103.7. Still petechiae which still pointed to Meningitis, the Drs thought. He had a second dose of Rocephen. He still wasn't eating or drinking. We followed up the next morning, again. He was slowly sipping drinks. The 3rd day, we followed up again with the Dr. We found several blisters in his mouth. The 5th day, blood culture was clean on bacterial meningitis. No idea what he had.
But I surely wasn't gonna watch him suffer and not eat or drink.
ETA- DS1 couldn't relax or sleep he just cried. He wanted his pacy but wouldn't suck on it. He was around 15-16 months old. A 5-6 year old I can understand making him lay down and rest, I can't force my baby to do that.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #53
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I am glad he was fine. But if that happens again, a blood culture is not a definitive test for bacterial meningitis. The blood culture can test for a few strains of bacteria that can cause it. (And is only about 50% accurate in detecting those particular strains) But because the virus is in the cerebral spinal fluid you need to insist on a lumbar puncture to definitely rule it out. My husband had that as a toddler and they thought he was going to die for about a week.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #54
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you consider a fever?

A consider a fever at about 100, and medicate at 101, maybe 100 for a younger baby.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #55
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Like many others have said, I don't treat the number, but the child's other symptoms. I have given tylenol for very low grade fevers to a miserable child and not given it with a child who had a raging fever, but acted *fine*.

As for a specific number to call a fever and keep home... anything that is over 100.5 regardless of how the child is acting will get kept home from activities, but that doesn't mean that they get a day off of school (we home school), just kept away from others not in our family.

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #56
jenbo831
Registered Users
seller
seller

I medicate right away, especially with my DD. She had what they believe was a febrile seizure when she was 15 months old. Absolutely the most scariest day of my life. We didnt see the seizure but heard her moaning on the monitor and when we went in she was struggling to breathe. Had to call 911 and taken to Childrens in an ambulance. Needless to say I don't risk it with any of my kids. With DD we rotate motrin/tylenol for a full 24 hrs before letting the meds wear off to see if the fever comes back or not.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #57
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter has only had a fever once, and my son had his first one last night! I didn't even check the thermometer, though, because he was able to rest and nurse so I just tried to comfort him and get him back to sleep. If my child seemed to have a really high fever I would check it and consider medicating above 103. Fevers are beneficial, imo, so I'm most apt to let the body do it's job. I don't take meds when I get a fever either, unless I just have to get something done and can't stay in bed. (but I think it was a year ago that I last had to worry about it).
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #58
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I medicate at 99 degrees and above.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #59
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids have a fever when they have an elevated temp AND are acting sick. That could happen at 99* or not until 101*.

I don't medicate fevers until the fever is over 104* during the day and 103* at night (I don't want them to spike too high while I'm asleep and not checking their temps as often). I will medicate lower than that if my child is lethargic or has other concerning symptoms.

Fevers are the body's way of fighting an infection. I like to let the immune system do its job.

Young babies get their fevers treated at lower temps, but by 2yo, I follow the guidelines above.