Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should we go back to the emergency room?

If it starts to separate more, then I would take him back. If it continues to bleed, I would take him back. Otherwise, it is what it is and I would let him be. Also, if you do take him back, make sure you get someone that does lots of facial lacerations, not just stitches because the tissue on the face and in the mouth is very delicate and the skin can tear so the stitches don't stay. A dentist may possibly be an option because of where the stitches are.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely call because I have heard many times that they cant do stitches after a certain number of hours has passed. I am no doctor, but something with how the tissues start to connect, etc. Then it isn't simple stitches anymore.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They are not stitching for comsmetic reasons in the ER. They are stitching to stop bleeding. If it is not bleeding I would just leave him alone for now. Is the split past his lip line or only on his lip? It does not look still split open from the pics. If after it all heals the scar is not one you can live with you could always consult a plastics doc for a revision. He would have sedation and it would be FAR less traumatic. Hope he feels better.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They DO stitch for cosmetic reasons in the ER. You tell them that you want a plastic surgeon to do the stitching. They will call one in. He should go back. Ask them about something to calm him down before they do it.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I guess I'm the only one that would grab the super glue?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
I guess I'm the only one that would grab the super glue?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This is what dh did last night at bed time. Except it was skin glue.

Update: I had to run out to buy some straw sippys because his regular cups hurt his mouth and he was refusing a regular straw. No bleeding but I can tell he is in pain. If it opens up again we will be off to the er. But this time I will drive the extra 15 minutes to go to the children's er.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should we go back to the emergency room? Update

Does your children's hospital have offsite (or even an onsite) urgent care? When we have needed stitches, we go to the Children's urgent care center. My girlfriend is an attending in the ED at our Children's hospital. She recommends the urgent care because of the experience they have with stitching. She definitely did not recommend their ED. They do not bring in plastic surgeons to put in 1/2 dozen stitches, so you are looking at the ED docs. And, our Children's hospital is a teaching hospital, so you may well get someone stitching with little experience. So, her suggestion for minor stitches that aren't an emergency is to go to the urgent care that is associated with the children's hospital.

Just over a year ago my daughter split her chin and needed 6 stitches. You can barely see the scar already. They did an amazing job.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Aw, poor little guy. I think I would only take him back if it opens up.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good call. The more I looked at the photo, the more I agree with not restitching since it is pretty closed up. My son's was very open when we took him to get stitched. I don't think the scar will look any different either way.

What about steri strips (or however you spell that) if it opens back up? You can buy those at the store. I'm not sure how well they would stick on the lip, but it might be worth a try. Or the skin glue might do the trick too. I guess the tricky part is it being on the lip. Hopefully, it will just stay closed by itself. Lips heal so quickly too which might help.

to your son and to you for having to deal with this. It's so hard to know what's the best thing to do sometimes.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #20
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
They won't restitch it at this point, it's been too long. The mouth heals pretty quickly and I bet it will look much better tomorrow. :-( Sorry mama, that's never fun. If you can get steri-strips on there it's worth a try but I don't know that they'll stick without him picking and such.