Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

CLEAN YOUR ROOM! I'm so mean...

I'm so irritated with my 5.5 /o right now. She KNOWS how to clean her room. I don't expect it to be perfect. I DO expect her to put her toys back in her toy box and pull up the covers on her bed.

I have tried EVERYTHING. She can clean it up easily. The issue is she won't. I've battling with her for most of the day. Her and her younger brother went and made a HUGE mess playing earlier today. I reminded them more than once - "You're going to have to clean that up later!"

Well, now it's time to clean up (and has been for a while) and I send them both in (after all, even though it's her room, they BOTH made the mess), they clean for 10 mins, then they play. I remind them to clean. 10 mins cleaning, back to playing. And on and on.

I've had to take toys in the past over this. And I told her she will lose any toys on the floor after the timer goes off... they've had AMPLE time now - over and HOUR, and I set the timer to 25 mins. I'm being TOTALLY reasonable. It would take them less than 10 mins to toss everything in the toy box.

I'm listening to them playing right now. And I'm SO frustrated.

I'm really sad she is going to lose her toys. I know she can clean her room, she CAN - I've seen her do it. She just refuses.

Thankfully 90% of her toys are just junk anyway, and we planned on getting her new stuff soon to replace her old junky toys. But still, I was hoping for a nicer way for her to part with her old toys than having them all taken away at once.

Oh well, she will still have the toys in the living room, I guess.

I hate being a mean mom. But I also know what a huge disservice it was to me that my mom never REQUIRED me to clean up my room and keep it clean regularly. I really want her to learn this. And I know she is capable.

Sometimes being a parent is hard. Stupid pregnancy hormones.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: CLEAN YOUR ROOM! I'm so mean...

I don't think you're the mean mom. Grab a bag, take the toys.

they will learn.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I don't think you're the mean mom. Grab a bag, take the toys.

they will learn.
Thanks

I ended up leaving her favorite beloved stuffed animal and I put most of her clothes in her hamper. But everything else that was on the floor went in the garbage bag and to the garbage can.

It was mostly old McDonald's toys, or other random junky toys that should have never been brought into the house anyway.

She cried and screamed. I wanted to cry too. But I said I'd do it and I did it. I gave plenty of time, plenty of warning. I let her have her fit in her room and shut the door when she wouldn't stop screaming. She's quiet now. I assume she's sleeping.

Ugh. I know it's the right thing to do. But sometimes it's hard to be a good mom.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Something I've tried lately that's had good results--can you make it a race with a stopwatch instead of a deadline with a timer? My phone has a stopwatch option within the clock app. I tell my 4-year-old DD that we're going to see how fast she can clean up, and see if she can beat that time next time.

If that doesn't work, something else we've done--get the vacuum out and say that any toys left on the floor after xx amount of minutes will be sucked up by the vacuum. This only works if your kids don't realize that the toys are too big for the vacuum. This typically would get DD to pick up her toys.

But if it takes removing toys for your DD to get the hint, so be it.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I bet she picks her toys up next time

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquelicot View Post
Something I've tried lately that's had good results--can you make it a race with a stopwatch instead of a deadline with a timer? My phone has a stopwatch option within the clock app. I tell my 4-year-old DD that we're going to see how fast she can clean up, and see if she can beat that time next time.

If that doesn't work, something else we've done--get the vacuum out and say that any toys left on the floor after xx amount of minutes will be sucked up by the vacuum. This only works if your kids don't realize that the toys are too big for the vacuum. This typically would get DD to pick up her toys.

But if it takes removing toys for your DD to get the hint, so be it.
I've tried both of those. They think the timer thing is hilarious and run around like zoo animals.

And my DD is way too much of a smarty pants to let me get away with the vacuum idea. Case in point - once she was acting up, and I said "If you keep acting that way, I can't let you turn 5. Five year olds can't act that way." (Man I thought that was so good!) She looked at me, then thought, then said, "Mama, how are you going to stop me from turning five? You can't do that, can you?" "No, honey, I was only bluffing." .... "mama, what's bluffing?" ROFL
Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
lolson3
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anytime my kids start complaining about cleaning up I just ask them if they want me to clean them up. They immediately say "NOOOOO!" Because they know if I clean it up it will go into timeout where they have to earn it back. If it is just junk, then I would donate it/ throw it away. Or sometimes I say, "Feel free to clean up the toys you want to keep." If there are toys that no one wants to play with and they get brought out so they can find the toys they really want to play with, then why keep them? DD (5.5yo) is to the point that she doesn't want more toys because that means more toys to clean up.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yesterday DD1 and DS1 made a huge mess in their rooms. I told them to clean it up (they're 5 and 3 and perfectly capable) and they didn't. dun dun DUUUUNNNNN! so we set a timer and said if it wasn't cleaned up they didn't get dessert. We had company last night which always means a good dessert those rooms were cleaned in record time!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chello View Post
Yesterday DD1 and DS1 made a huge mess in their rooms. I told them to clean it up (they're 5 and 3 and perfectly capable) and they didn't. dun dun DUUUUNNNNN! so we set a timer and said if it wasn't cleaned up they didn't get dessert. We had company last night which always means a good dessert those rooms were cleaned in record time!
Yea... I took away dessert first. Then the toys.

Today I guess they were just on a cleaning strike.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

It's gonna be okay, mama. My 5.5yo son doesn't even have a bedroom.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote