Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

5 weeks overdue and still not in labor?

I was watching a show the other day, I can't for the life of me remember what show. I think it was A Baby Story, or something of the sort. The woman on the show had her mother with her at the hospital, and the woman was undergoing her second c-section. The mother of the woman said that she was due on May 5th with the girl (now adult) and still hadn't gone into labor by JUNE 15th, so they did a c-section because there were still no signs of labor. She confirmed that the viewers hadn't heard wrong, and the girl was over 5 weeks overdue.

Am I just too big of a cynic or do you think that's even possible? I know there are TONS of people who go a couple weeks overdue, but FIVE weeks? I was thinking that perhaps the people who really go that far past their DD had their timing messed up, perhaps had a light period the first month they were pregnant and therefore, didn't think they were pregnant until the following month YKWIM?

thoughts?

Advertisement

Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 weeks overdue and still not in labor?

My mom and drs believed I was 3 weeks overdue.

Back then they didn't do routine u/s to actually check dates. My mom sensed she was pregnant with me while still bfing my sister...so she never got her ppaf.

that could be true with that girls mom too
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I'm skeptical too. I've heard people say their mom or so and so was 3 or 4 wks overdue. 5 is even more than that. I tend to think that when they say they were a full 3 or 4wks overdue they probably had their dates a little off. So, I would surely think someone saying they are 5wks overdue miscalculated somehow.

Who really knows though?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I believe it is possible. was born 33 days after I was due. Midnight the morning mom was supposed to be induced she went into labor. I was the only live baby my mom had naturally. Induced with my bros, super late me, late miscarriage at 20ish weeks, csection that I think came after induction at 39weeks for sis.

I know my body was showing the slightest signs of labor when I was due with my 2nd at 42 weeks. Irregular light contractions, no cervical change at all. My first babe was induced 40w4d, csection 40w6d, zero signs of labor. I think some of us just gestate longer. A mw we are considering said we would expect a 43 weeker and suggested some homeopathic remedies she would give me to try to make sure we had a baby by 43weeks. I am CERTAIN of my dates every time. I chart, have to have early meds not to miscarry, and have early dating u/s.

Eta: I know a girl in my town that just went to almost 44weeks before she gave in to an induction. Obviously I wasn't checking her cervix/temps/etc while she was ttc, lol, but early u/s are pretty common around here, so I'll take her word.

Last edited by joeslittlewoman; 09-25-2012 at 04:21 PM.
joeslittlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I don't believe it. I am more likely to believe that they miscalculated the due date in the beginning. I just don't feel like the placenta would make it that long... in modern day, they would be monitoring everything and I just can't see everything still going perfectly after that long.

Last edited by Sarahknavy; 09-25-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Sarahknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman View Post
I believe it is possible. was born 33 days after I was due. Midnight the morning mom was supposed to be induced she went into labor. I was the only live baby my mom had naturally. Induced with my bros, super late me, late miscarriage at 20ish weeks, csection that I think came after induction at 39weeks for sis.

I know my body was showing the slightest signs of labor when I was due with my 2nd at 42 weeks. Irregular light contractions, no cervical change at all. My first babe was induced 40w4d, csection 40w6d, zero signs of labor. I think some of us just gestate longer. A mw we are considering said we would expect a 43 weeker and suggested some homeopathic remedies she would give me to try to make sure we had a baby by 43weeks. I am CERTAIN of my dates every time. I chart, have to have early meds not to miscarry, and have early dating u/s.

Eta: I know a girl in my town that just went to almost 44weeks before she gave in to an induction. Obviously I wasn't checking her cervix/temps/etc while she was ttc, lol, but early u/s are pretty common around here, so I'll take her word.
I totally get 40 weeks, I don't consider that abnormal at all or gestating "longer" given that humans are designed to gestate to 40 weeks.

But fortyFIVE weeks and still no signs of labor? Ehh....
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I think they are outliers, but possible. I know a girl that went to almost 44 weeks this summer, before giving in to the induction. I was amazed she either had such a calm doc, or was very tough when being pressured. Most docs are very pressuring to go before 42 or even 41 weeks, so who knows what would happen if all those induced mamas were left alone.

Eta: didn't think above edit took. Sorry for repeating.

Last edited by joeslittlewoman; 09-25-2012 at 04:51 PM.
joeslittlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

I would assume her cycles were irregular. If a woman's cycles are usually 7 weeks long (like mine can be!), and the baby is 2 weeks overdue, it would seem that her baby is 5 weeks overdue if they calculate the due date based on last menstrual period. But really, it's not.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom was due Nov 22 with me, and I came on December 18. They were undergoing fertility treatments to conceive, so she knows exactly when she got pregnant.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My brother was 3 week overdue - they had done sonos, all dates were exact, and they were closely monitoring the fluid levels and placental health, but truly he was honestly 21 days overdue!